frequency of STS workouts

STS will be a 3-day split so it would be three weight workouts per week on non-consecutive days (cardio of your choice on the days in-between).

>Yes,you will work each body part only once per week.

Another question from a heavy wight-lifting "newbie": How is working each body part only once per week sufficient enough to see major results? There is a training program that has been discussed on other fitness forums that has you doing three total body workouts each week using heavy weights and doing compound exercises. What's the science behind working one body part just once per week?

My husband has been getting after me to start lifting heavier weights. STS sounds like it will be just the ticket to do that! :)

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Let me try to answer your question from several different angles. You asked; what is the science behind lifting heavy doing only one body part per week? Well, let me begin by asking; what is the science behind lifting heavy doing three total body workouts per week? To be honest, there really is no exact answer to these questions because science has never (nor will it ever) be able to precisely define what is the optimum workout? You can certainly find books that do this, but not true and valid scientific studies. Both types of workouts listed above are totally acceptable as they fulfill the requirement of at least 48 hours “rest” between workouts using the same muscle groups.

STS is based on the principle of periodization. You can Google “periodization” and find tons of scientific information about this topic and why it is so highly regarded. The advantage of our method is we maximize “muscle confusion” by giving you a different workout every week and by varying the intensity and volume (reps and sets) of the workout over the entire program. Muscle Confusion is one of the most important rules of strength training and no other DVD program on the market today utilizes this principle to the same degree that STS does. STS is also the first DVD workout that really directs and encourages you to find the correct weight for every exercise by doing a 1RM test.

STS utilizes a mix of compound and isolation exercises. We feel this offers the best of both worlds. The advantage of compound (multi joint) exercises is they work several muscle groups at the same time and are absolutely necessary to work the larger muscles. I f you’re training to improve athletic performance you will need to put a greater emphasis on compound moves. But isolation moves are also important as they allow you to transform your body’s shape and to develop muscle definition in individual muscles that would simply not be possible with a program only utilizing compound moves.

STS is not a program that should be done 12 months out of the year. So, after finishing the STS program you may very well want to do a three day per week total body program as well as some other type of workout routine. Variety is never a bad idea as far as strength training is concerned.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.