French toast help!

bestoutwest

Cathlete
Can someone share the secret to good french toast? Mine always ends up soggy in the middle and just not quite right! Thanks!

Good bread.

Seriously, you have to start with a nice substantial bread that you would love to eat plain, if it's a little on the stale side, even better. I would avoid using anything mass manufactured and go for something from a bakery, even if it's just the store's bakery.

The next secret is the correct temperature for cooking. I think most people tend to use too high of a temp. and are impatient for it to be done too quickly. Preheat your griddle or heavy fry pan to a nice toasty medium and then give your french toast the time it deserves.

I almost always add vanilla and cinnamon to my wet mixture too.

I'm sure others can offer some more advice, but I find that if you use good bread and the right cooking temp and surface you end up with pretty decent french toast.

Of course the other option is to just drown it in syrup:p

Mattea

I like to add nutmeg to the mix and substitute orange juice for a portion of the milk.

Slightly stale bread works better too.

Diane

I use an overnight recipe that calls for thick slices of bread. The bread soaks up all the liquid overnight and then all you have to do in the morning is pop it in the oven and bake until it is crispy. It never comes out soggy. I always get compliments on it (and I don't often get compliments on my cooking.)

MissL

My kids love this recipe for french toast. I don't eat it however, because, well, because you'll see after reading the ingredients:

Egg Mixture
Eggs
Dash of skim milk
cinnamon

I use cinnamon bread without raisins from the bakery. The bread is firm.

Take 2 slices of bread for each "sandwich" and spread peanut butter and honey or jelly in the middle. (You can also add slices of banana but the kids preferred it without.) Close the sandwich and then dip in the egg mixture. Fry on both sides on medium heat. The peanut butter will start to melt. Once it's done, add a little maple syrup.

It's a favorite with the kids.

Terri

Like the above poster wrote: "dash" of milk. French toast becomes soggy when you have added more liquid than egg. I use 3 eggs and just a small "pour" of milk. People often make the mistake of using old worn out bread. The better the bread, the better the french toast. Fresh sourdough is my favorite.

Cheryl

I use Ezekiel (sp?) cinnamon raisin bread. (I think 'cause it's low in fat, it's really dense and dry and doesn't break down & get soggy).

I do the typical egg mixture with cinnamon (I DEFINITELY think organic cinnamon makes a huge difference) and vanilla extract (a lot!)

My husband raves about this french toast. It is awesome. Good luck!

Take care.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think part of my problem is too much milk and the wrong temperature of the pan/griddle! I'll try some more tomorrow!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.