Freezing Protein Shakes

jharris

Cathlete
Is it possible to pre make and freeze shakes so that they will thaw and be drinkable for a mid morning snack? Also what type of cup or glass would you recommend for doing this?

Jenn

Hey Jenn! I do this all the time! When I go out for ice cream with the fam I pull one out of the freezer and take it along with me. I put them in 2-cup plastic containers. It's not smooth & creamy - more like a slushy, but still good and I get to have a "treat" while the fam indulges. I don't feel so left out/deprived this way!

I think you'll have to experiment a bit.

Seems to me I've read that some protein-powder-based smoothies don't freeze and thaw well (though fruit/veggie based ones usually turn out just fine).

Since you're using these for a mid-morning snack, why not make one in the morning and put it in a thermos ? That's what I do when I take smoothies to work.

Making them before I leave the house to drink at work might work. I use Designer Whey Protien Powder but I don't need to put it in there. I'm looking at way to get more fruit in my diet. And I would rather drink a shake then eat a piece of fruit. I use Yoplait frozen smoothie mix, almond milk, extra banana and scoop of powder, or a banana, nut butter, light choc syrup and almond milk. I could always eliminate the powder if it doesn't come out right.

I will experiment. Thanks for the tips.

Jenn

when i only have a short 15 min break at work i make a protein drink with milk-usually CLICK and another drink of Simply Nutritious Morning Blend that has 7 different juices,no added sugar. i LOVE those 15 min breaks!

laura

Hey Jenn! I do this all the time! When I go out for ice cream with the fam I pull one out of the freezer and take it along with me. I put them in 2-cup plastic containers. It's not smooth & creamy - more like a slushy, but still good and I get to have a "treat" while the fam indulges. I don't feel so left out/deprived this way!

You have some willpower. It would be tough for me to drink my smoothie instead of my Mint Oreo Blizzard when we go to DQ, but I should try. Great idea :D

You have some willpower. It would be tough for me to drink my smoothie instead of my Mint Oreo Blizzard when we go to DQ, but I should try. Great idea :D
Why not make a chocolate/mint smoothie? Then freeze it, and it will thaw a bit to have the consistency similar to a blizzard?

Maybe sprinkle a few cacao nibs on top to make it more like a "Blizzard"?

It's the mint flavor I have a tough time duplicating. I've tried with fresh mint, but should try mint extract next time. I like the freezing and letting it thaw idea. Thanks, Kathryn :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.