Forget Myrtle Beach - we're going to the Outer Banks!

buckeyegirl

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I had posted last week about Myrtle Beach and requesting info...well, we've actually decided to go to the outer banks - probably Kitty Hawk. The outer banks look awesome. If anyone has any little pearls of info, I'd truly appreciate it...ie, beaches to avoid, tourist traps, good restaurants, etc. We found a small house right on the beach that we may rent. The kids are pumped about walking out of the house right onto the beach...

It's a year away, but it helps me recover from the depression of just getting back from the beach by looking forward and scheduling something for next summer already:D

Heidi

Hey Buckeyegirl!

We are old friends with the OBX. We haven't gone for the last couple of years, but before that we were regulars for a long time.
Our favorite places to stay were in Corolla and Duck, it isn't as congested there as in Kill Devil Hills and south, but that is our opinion. The Food Lion was close by (I would strongly suggest you go online and get a Food Lion discount card to get the deals when you are there..).

We rented all our homes through Sun Realty and they were really good to work with, and we made it mandatory to get a pool at the house, it is a great way to spend the late afternoon and evenings!

Fishbones was a really good restaurant in that area, great steamed shrimp!

If you want any tips, feel free to PM me, I will be glad to help!

There are also LOTS of non-chain places, too! Go to John's on Old Beach Road for lunch. Great fresh seafood "boats" and delicious milkshakes!

Good for you!!!Take a day trip to Ocracoke; you'll love it.

That was going to be my suggestion, too! Have dinner at Howard's Pub. It's great food and atmosphere, plus they have fusball and other games to pass the time! I'm so jealous! I love the Outer Banks!

You'll have a great time! There's lots to do and see there!

Tricia

Good for you!!!Take a day trip to Ocracoke; you'll love it.

Whenever I tell people to go to Ocracoke, they are so confused!!! They have never heard of it!!! All of OBX I like, but Ocracoke is the place to be!!!
I have been vacationing there for years and LOVE it.

ellie

Well, a lot of people knew about it a couple of years ago when it was voted the #1 Beach in America by that Dr. Beach guy. Man, was that little island overrun! I have a friend who lives there, and she said locals were actually wishing for a hurricane so that they could get some rest!

Yep, we've been going for 20 years now. We've taken to going in September, when the crowds have died down. Now, Ocracoke in September is like it used to be mid-season 10 or 15 years ago. But, it's still the best place on the Outer Banks, as far as I'm concerned. :D

Oh, and if you only have a day, the food might not be as good as other places, but it's worth hitting the Jolly Roger on the harbour at sunset. Sit outside facing west, have a beer and a fish sandwich, and prepare to be wowed! (Oh, and ask for Georgeanne, Emily, or Molly, and tell 'em Teresa sent you!)

Last edited:
Banks

We always satyed at the sea dunes (Kitty Hawk) town homes were my fav down there..Across the beach but nothing on the beach.. Direct access.I like having a pool. Jelly fish weeks and cold water.
My fav restaurant is the Black Pellican.
Fav pizza place is Daredevils. Awesome stromboli.
Fine dining Kellys. There is a little bar in front of the sea dunes at Kitty hawk that had great peel n eat shrimp deals.. and food was good.

Go down into Maneo.. Great fishery before it across the bridge. If you plan on cookin in.They catch it you buy it.

We have been going to Atlantic beach for a few years . Water is warmer..
But i do love the banks./
Take your bikes.. We rode alot.. Alot of trails and we rode alot in the bay side and canal side..
Have fun..

The Jolly Roger!!! Love it.
We have been going for 20+ years also. I love Ocracoke in September. I love the ferry ride and the sheer unbelievability that it has yet to be wiped out in a hurricane!!!! It's had some damage but has survived for a looong time.

Howards Pub is fun too!!!! And seeing the wild ponies is a plus

ellie

TeTe, how sad!!!

We stayed for a month once with my mom's DH whose family were locals for many years. The one thing that frightened me was the lack of medical help. You have to be flown somewhere if you have a serious problem.

The locals are soooo wonderful though and help everyone they can. It was great to see that vacationers jumped in to help.

I lost my driver's license on the beach one year and we all knew it was gone forever. About 2 weeks later I recieved it in the mail with a lovely note from one of the islanders. She had stumbled upon it on the beach!!!!

Hope to meet you in Ocracoke one day!!!!

ellie

Ooooooh the Outer Banks. We used to go down every year with 20 or so friends and stay in a huge house right on the beach and party it up for a week. We always went during our April Break because the price was right and we are all teachers. We haven't gone since 2006 because we all got married and had kids in the past few years but plan on going again in 3 or 4 years with our kids. It will definitely be a change from our partying days. What great memories.

As far as restaurants we liked Windmill Point for fine dining and Mama Kwans was just a great family place that always accomomdated us and had great food that wasn't pricey.

Have a great time.

Well I live in Hatteras and have lots of opinions about this! The water is definitely warmer anywhere south of The Point in Buxton. That means Buxton, Frisco, Hatteras and Ocracoke. The beaches are also wider, flatter, and the sand is finer. It is not nearly as built up down here as it is up in Nag's Head - we never go up the island if we can help it. (Corolla and Duck to the north are nice too.) Things are quieter down here and we don't have any chain restaurants. We do have lots of fun things to do though.

In Frisco - horseback riding on the beach with Equine Adventures (equineadventures.com). In the interest of full disclosure though I work there!

Fabulous coffee can be found at The Dancing Turtle Coffeeshop in Hatteras across the street from Hatteras Harbor Marina (I work there too!). We were totally backed up the other day when the ferries stopped running - everyone came in for a coffee while they were waiting things out.

Not-so-clean-eats at the Orange Blossom Bakery and Uncle Eddy's Ice Cream Parlor in Buxton (I'm totally unaffiliated with either of them :).

Incredible off-shore fishing at Hatteras Harbor Marina in Hatteras or check out goodtimessportfishing.com (that's my boyfriend). If you don't fish, stop by in the afternoons anyway and watch the boats unload their catches.

You can rent a kayak or go for a guided tour. Rent a sailboat or take sailing lessons. Learn to kiteboard. Go parasailing. Sit on the beach. Work on your tan. It's all good!

Alright - I hope this doesn't come across as an infomercial! Anyway have fun, enjoy your trip and maybe I'll see you in Hatteras somewhere!

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.