For those who have done kettlebell-only rotations...

jennifermaria

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I know some here have done kettlebell-only rotations and have had great results--I was just wondering, did you have to supplement with extra bicep/tricep/chest work, or did you feel that the kettlebell workouts were able to cover these body parts as well?

I'm thinking of doing a kettlebell-only rotation during the months I'm in marathon training, since it really works well for the running-specific muscles in the lower body (especially the hip flexors, where I've had injuries, and the glutes, the weakness in which led to my hip flexor injury!). I know that it's also pretty good for the shoulders, core, and back, but I wonder if I'll get a good enough workout in the biceps, triceps, and chest by working them as secondary muscles only? The Kettlebell Way DVDs do isolate these muscles, but other DVDs (e.g. Lauren Brooks, Kettlebell Goddess, etc.) don't seem to use isolation exercises for them, so I wasn't sure if I'd need to supplement with those.

Or am I overthinking this? I know the whole point of kettlebells is to get your body to work as an integrated machine, rather than isolating individual muscles, so maybe the exercises are already creating a balance that I shouldn't mess with?

Thanks in advance :).

Jennifer

PS I just got Lorna Kleidman's Body Sculpting with Kettlebells for Women--anyone else have this book? I tend to prefer doing workouts to DVD rather than with a book, but I've done so well with following Valerie Waters' workouts on paper that I thought I would give a book kettlebell workout a try as well...

I did a couple of months of only KBs earlier this year and I lost strength with some things like bench press and bicep curls. I gained in other areas like OHP and squatting. If I had to do it over again I'd have 1 day a week of a traditional total body wt training.

Jennifer,

I have been using Kettlebells exclusively for over a year now.... (although I am now doing Pavels Power to the People with the barbell). I have never been stronger! If you are doing kettlebells correctly you will gain in strength and as an athlete running better. I started with AOS dvds and downloadable workouts, they were okay and a good start. Then I found Pavel and haven't looked back. I bought the ETK book and gained strength from that then moved on to his Power to the people book where I am basically deadlifting and pressing 4X a week.

with ETK, my biceps got bigger, my abs more defined, back looks great, and my lower body is rock solid....ETK also incorporates pullups which also work the arms, abs and back.

I now clean the 45#kettlebell, press the 35# kettlebell, as well as snatch the 35# bell. I do the tgu with a 45# kettlebell, and my deadlift 3RM is 175# (although I haven't tested my 1RM lately, and I think its more now....) . I'm pretty sure the last time I did the windmill, I used the 45#kettlebell and I swing my "Bertha" bell which is 53 pounds.....guess I should mention, I am 5'2" and 122#...I have not bulked up at all, still a size 2P or 4P....

....I do have to say, I didn't get the strength I have now from the dvds, they are good for overall conditioning, but for strength that will translate for you to running I would look into ETK.....

Kettlebells are about strength and a crossover for many sports. They are not "body building". You may want to check out the Dragon Door forum. Lots of good information on there about kettlebells.

I can't say enough about how great kettlebells were for me, I post on the Kettlebell check in which you are welcome to join, or lurk in;), we- almost all of us - are full time kettlebellers!

PS- although this isn't about kettlebells, since I started deadlifting with Power to the People, I went from sprinting on the treadmill at 8.0 to now sprinting at 9.0. You may want to look into deadlifting to improve your running.....

HTH,
hope I didn't come on too strong :eek:
but kettlebells used correctly rock!!:cool:

Deanie, great results from your KB training!
. I do the tgu with a 45# kettlebell
Me, too (but put a decimal point in there: 4.5#, LOL!;))

Very impressive! IMO, TGU's and overhead squats are two of the most challenging KB moves.

Thanks, everyone!

What does ETK stand for? I want to check this out :).

And I'm not really looking to grow in size in these other muscle groups--my goal is just to make sure I'm maintaining strength in those areas, while keeping everything balanced. It was imbalance in my muscle strength that lead to my running injuries, so now I'm ultra vigilant about making sure every muscle is getting worked, and that they're working in conjunction with each other (which is why kettlebell work is so appealing to me).

I do still want to do traditional weight work at other times of the year for variety's sake. I really love Valerie Waters' workouts, so I don't want to just shelve those and never get to do them again (thankfully a lot of her stuff, especially in AHB, also incorporates some functional moves). And of course, I have a ton of Cathe DVDs and will want to pull those out every once in a while, too :).

Jennifer,

I have been using Kettlebells exclusively for over a year now.... (although I am now doing Pavels Power to the People with the barbell). I have never been stronger! If you are doing kettlebells correctly you will gain in strength and as an athlete running better. I started with AOS dvds and downloadable workouts, they were okay and a good start. Then I found Pavel and haven't looked back. I bought the ETK book and gained strength from that then moved on to his Power to the people book where I am basically deadlifting and pressing 4X a week.

....I do have to say, I didn't get the strength I have now from the dvds, they are good for overall conditioning, but for strength that will translate for you to running I would look into ETK.....

Kettlebells are about strength and a crossover for many sports. They are not "body building". You may want to check out the Dragon Door forum. Lots of good information on there about kettlebells.

PS- although this isn't about kettlebells, since I started deadlifting with Power to the People, I went from sprinting on the treadmill at 8.0 to now sprinting at 9.0. You may want to look into deadlifting to improve your running.....

HTH,
hope I didn't come on too strong :eek:
but kettlebells used correctly rock!!:cool:

Deanie:

you didn't come on too strong at all. What you wrote is a very convincing, experienced-based argument for all runners to do kettlebell training. I think I have just heard the last word I needed to push me over the edge into purchasing my first kb. Personally, I thank you for your impassioned response. Even if the original poster isn't convinced, I am!

You have achieved stunning results with kbs: great job! Congrats to you.

Clare

Jennifermaria:

in case you are interested, the Pavel book "Enter the Kettlebell" is available at discountbooksale.com for $17.44 with free s/h at the moment. This is cheaper than Ebay and amazon.

Clare

Oh I'm definitely convinced :). Everything I've ever read about kettlebells makes me want to do them more often--I always love the way I feel after I do a kettlebell workout!

Thanks for the tip, Clare! I'll have to check that out!

Deanie and Kathryn: does ETC the book also have workouts/exercises, or would I need the DVD for that?

Clare:::thanks!! Please feel free to join our check in for kettlebells!!! ENJOY!!:)

Jennifer::: ETK is a 3 month program. the book has the complete program. In the book it describes the exercises and when to do them. You do not need a dvd. there is a 4 week program min. with practice of tgu and swings then on to 8 weeks of Rite of Passage(ROP) which is the clean and press, with either swings or snatches afterwards. Enjoy!!
:) That sale price is amazing!!! I bought the book for full price at Barnes and Noble, and it was $34.99.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.