For Sheila or anyone

My son was born by c-section 4 years ago due to him being in a brow presentation. This means the eyebrow part of his face was trying to come first, rather than the top of his head like normal. My doctor said that epidurals sometimes cause this. My doctor has told me that for my next pregnancy, I will be given the option of simply choosing a c-section if I want. At first, I thought he was crazy because "who would choose to have a c-section?" Now that I look back, as hard as it was, it was probably easier than an episiotomy. I've heard dreadful things about vaginal births and episiotomies. Has anyone out there experienced both a vaginal delivery and a c-section? I would love to hear your opinion on which you prefer (from anyone that's experienced both)Thanks

My experience

Hi - I think this was discussed on a previous thread in this forum, but I don't remember which one. Anyway, I've had both - vaginal for the first pregnancy, C-section for the second and definitely preferred the C-section. I was terrified to have a C-section, but was very pleasantly surprised. If you have a planned C-section it will be even better, because you can prepare yourself and your family for the surgery. My only disappointment was that I didn't feel like I contributed to the childbirth experience like I did with my first delivery when I actually pushed my baby into the world. And I have a really nasty scar (my scar is up and down because it was an emergency). If I was pregnant again and had the choice, I would choose another C-Section, though. Whatever you decide, hope you have a wonderful experience!! Best wishes!
Erica

me too

I also had vaginal deliveries first (two of 'em) followed by a C-section. I would prefer a vaginal if I had the choice. The recovery for a C-section is far longer. Yeah, an episiotomy can be a real pain (I had them both times) BUT, they heal up fairly quickly. A C-section, however, is a much slower recovery. Of couse, when I had my C-section I had a 22 month old to come home to. She was way too little to understand that mommy couldn't pick her up, and had only started walking at 18 months so she was still such a baby herself (and I didn't have much help at all). I would say that as far as pain, they are about equivalent. . . Either your pain comes in the form of contractions BEFORE delivery, or in the form of a stapled belly afterward. The main difference is the recovery time which is much longer for a C-section. My C-section was planned for a Monday but my wee Chrissy didn't want to wait that long and was born on the Friday before after a night of labor and heck I was about ready to deliver by the time they finally got a surgery suite cleared for me and my spinal in! So even with a planned C-section you have to expect the unexpected. I say go for a vaginal. The key to recovering well from a vaginal (in my humble opinion, who am I anyway?? hehe) is to take Tylenol whether you feel you need it or not because as an anti-inflammatory it will help the swelling which is what causes most of the discomfort, AND sit on an ice pack in the hospital whether you feel the need to or not!

Pretty funny -

Two replies, two different opinions.
I have to admit that a C-Section IS surgery, so there are risks. BUT, as far as recovery, my recovery from the C-Section went much, much better than my vaginal delivery. I did not have an episiotomy, but I did have a nasty tear and it was very uncomfortable. Also, resuming intercourse was easier after the C-Section. Does your doctor have any reason to believe that you will have complications again? Just wondering why he is giving you the option of choosing a C-Section.
Erica

Hi Erica

No, we expect no complications. I was quite stunned, to be honest, when my doctor told me I would have the option. My understanding was that now, doctors or midwives make you labor until a c-section is absolutely necessary (unless of course of an expected complication). So, I was shocked. I admit that the idea of just planning the whole thing (since I will have a 2 hour roundtrip to drop off my son with his grandmother) sounds so much easier. That's probably not a good reason to choose the surgery. I kinda wish now that he hadn't even told me that I would have the option. Since it's just another decision for me to make and another reason for me to wonder if I made the right decision. Oh well, nobody said life was easy, huh? Thanks for your response.

My "two cents"

I would try to get a second opinion regarding your options. Also, I have not seen any research regarding epidurals being responsible for this presentation. Just remember, a C-Section is MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY and not to be taken lightly. Explore your options to the fullest.

Sheila Watkins

I've had both

And I would definitely go through labor if I had the choice. My son was delivered by C-section seven years ago because he was a breech presentation. My doctor attempted an external version (to turn him to a vertex presentation) when I was 37 weeks pregnant, and my son being stubborn even then, refused. So, I had a scheduled C-section, no labor, and a fairly quick recovery as far as C-sections go. I was walking the halls (a little) twelve hours later, and didn't have nearly as much discomfort as I expected.

My daughter was a VBAC 3 1/2 years ago. I had a fairly long early labor phase, which was tiring to me. It didn't take me long to go from 4 to 10 cm, and I only had to push for 30 minutes. My entire labor lasted about 22 hours. I got an epidural when I was about 5-6 cm. I didn't have an episiotomy, but I did have a small to medium tear. It was no big deal at all; I didn't even notice it after the second day (the hemorrhoids were a MUCH bigger deal, let me tell you!
sad.gif
). My recovery was so much easier than it was with my C-section, even though that recovery was fairly easy as well. As has been said, a C-section is major abdominal surgery. Sometimes it's necessary for the health of baby and/or mom, but more often it isn't. It's much easier to take care of an infant and an older sibling if you're recovering from a vaginal birth than it is if you're recovering from a C-section. Good luck in your decision!

Kristin

presentation

I had a daughter who came out mouth first and she hasn't quit talking yet! We were unaware of her presentation -- no sonograms or she flipped at the end! No epidural in sight at that delivery! I mean stuff happens right!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.