? for cathe or runners?

laura35

Cathlete
Cathe,
I am a runner with asthma and want to get faster on my race times. The thing is everytime I try to increase my speed it kills my lungs. I can maintain a faster pace for awhile 2miles at least and then have to cut back on my pace. How can I sustain this pace for 4miles at least? I currently run a 5k in 27:30, 4miles in 35:15. I want to drop my 5k down to 26min, and 4miles down to 33min. I dont expect this overnight but would like some tips to help me improve my time for next spring. I run 3xweek, try tempo runs,farklets,etc... I dont want to settle for this being it because of my breathing. please help. thanks laura

Hi,

Not Cathe, but a "runner". I was a pretty steady runner about 3 years ago. I ran about a 23 minute 5k.

About a 2 yr. ago I stopped working out and running all together. (got burned out and lazy) This August I finally got off my butt and started walking. It only took me about a week to decide I HAD to run again. I decided to do a 10k trail run at Lake Tahoe, with only 6 weeks to train. I pushed my self to get up to 7 miles. I didn't do much weight training. Some lunges and crunches and stuff, but I mostly ran. I kept a running log of all my times.

I did the race, and was happy to finish in 1 hr. 4 minutes. (Lots of hills) After the race I started backing off on my running distance and got serious about weight training. Weighted squats, lunges, step ups, and calf raises. Also, I started doing interval step using the power moves from Cathes routine. With out even trying my running speed improved and I was running between 8 and
8 1/2 minute miles.

So, maybe you need to do some more strenth training. It seemed to work for me.

Good luck

I do weight training. I do a bootcamp class 2xweek at our ymca. maybe another day would help. I havent done any of cathe's fullbody tapes yet. just upper body pyramid. ithought about doing the lower body pyramid today. i dont have any of her step videos. which one has the power moves your where talking about? THANKS! laura

laura you might want to try any of the imaxes. imax one and 2 are ones i have done and they are great power moves. low max is another good step interval workout that target legs. i don't train my legs heavy but i do them twice a week and i have pretty good runs. but with a medical condition you may not want to push to hard unless you get some ideas from your doctor.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

Have you tried adding plyometrics to your routine? I bet that would help a lot!! Those explosive moves really help your muscle endurance-which is what you need to run faster/longer.

Good luck!
Denise

you should consult a sports medicine doc. asthma isn't something that can be treated with more strength training, or plyometrics, or running long. it's a medical condition that should be treated as such. good luck and stay healthy.. those are respectable times btw!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.