foods with Iron

Hi Michelle,
I know that beans have alot of iron.As a vegetarian,I eat them all the time!Also,blackstrap mollasses(the real stuff!) contain iron and calcium.
Hope that helps......
:)

Hi Michelle: Popeye had it right with his spinach, it's a good source of iron but be sure to have it with some oranges or anything with vitamin C as this aids with the body's absorption of the iron.
Another great non meat source is to make your tomato sauce in a cast iron pot. The acid from the tomatoes causes iron from the pan to leach into the sauce and the vitamin C in the tomatoes again helps with the body's absorption.
HTH
Take Care
Laurie

I'm wanting to say that broccoli has a lot of iron--but I could be wrong. But, I do know that I was eating some raw brokkly wokkly the other day and noticed on the package that it had quite a bit of protein. I was pleasantly surprised!!!

And raisins and prunes have some. I also rely a fair amount on the cast iron frying pans and pots. But I also take a supplement with iron.

Green leafy veggies, beans .. I think that's been said on here already though ...

Carol

Kellogg's Mini Wheats! When I was pregnant with both my kids I became anemic and would eat these constantly. They're still one of my favorites!

And don't forget the fresh spinach!!! Mostly, dark green veggies that are leafy are going to have loads of iron in them. :) :)

Oysters- the most iron per calorie, according to my nutrition textbook.
Oysters, clams, tofu, spinach, parsley.

Calcium interferes with the absorption of iron so skip the calcium fortified OJ when you are trying to maximize your iron uptake. Also, our bodies absorb iron from animal sources more efficiently than from vegetable (non heme) sources and that's something to keep in mind when you are trying to get enough.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.