follow up to c-section post

Road2ANewMe

Cathlete
Well, now I'm scared to workout after reading some of your stories! How about if I start back with Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds? Would that be ok? Is it enough of a workout to lose some weight and get back into some sort of shape? Which DVD do you recommend?

Thanks so much!!
Jessica

Don't be scared, just be careful and ease back into it. Movement is a good thing and remember as you are picking up your new little bundle you'll be working your UB too !:7

Walking is good - you can work on your pace or even do some hills if you have any around. Push the stroller for extra resistance.

You just need to listen to your body - after C's it is too easy to go too fast and then you'll wear yourself out. You just had major surgery that affected you entire abdominal area. Hope this isn't TMI, but if I'm not mistaken they went through 3 layers and they all need to heal. Plus you'll most likely be losing some sleep too.

You'll do fine . . .

ETA - just as I thought - check out the fit moms pregnancy and postpartum forum. That might help too.

I can't walk around with the stroller. I have 3 kids under 4, and only a double stroller! If I could find a triple stroller I would...but I don't want to shell out the money for one right now.

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I totally relate to the 3 kids under 4 situation you're in. My DD was 2 when my twins were born (Now they're 5 1/2 and 3 1/2). Don't stess yourself out about your workouts postpartum. You'll know if you're doing too much too soon, if you just listen to your body.

My doc was pretty happy with my ability to move at my first checkup and told me to just keep paying attention to how I felt. We do know ourselves and our bodies, don't you agree?

If you can't go out for a walk with the stroller (as I could not, either), Leslie Sansone is a fine workout to do. What I found the most helpful was doing what I knew I would look forward to - find the workout you enjoy and do what you can. I would sometimes pop in a Cathe, using one of the shorter premixes and just do what I could of it. Yes, I got interrupted when babies woke up or needed fed/changed - BUT, I felt better for making the attempt. And I didn't freak if I missed some workouts.

I have a saying that I read alot during that time, it's more about housework, but it applies to all the stuff we try to do. "Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, for babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs. Dust, go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep."

I know you'll do just fine!
Tricia

those are the dvd's I did after my c-section. I did the three mile (because I was in good shape before). I think you will do fine with them. I was good as new before my 6-week checkup.

Karen

I agree with Karen, by the time my 6 week check up with both csections I was back to moderate activity, not really any heavy lifting over 10 lbs, and not hard core abs, just beginning to get back to abs. I was 3 weeks out of surgery before I tried anything at all, but then it just got better and better! It will be okay and good luck!

Tricia,
I love your quote! I'm writing that one down!

Jessica,
I agree to just listen to your body. My last c-section and the weeks immediately following are a blur, but I think I remember about 2 months out I started back doing Cathe weight work. This time around (I'm preg with #3), I plan on really just focusing on clean eating right after the baby comes and letting the workouts come with time. Do you have a treadmill that you can walk on? I've also posted a question to Cathe on the Ask Cathe forum about post-preg workouts, and maybe she'll reply with some more info.

Jessica - that was me too. Does make it more challenging. I got a wagon to pull them in. That might be an option?

Or perhaps the baby in a Snuggli?

I'm entering my 3rd trimester and while some days I have the energy for Cathe cardio some days I just do not.
I bought a couple of Leslie 4-mile dvds and while I can't imagine using them long-term they are good for now and I imagine I'll use them post-partum for a while.
Don't worry about keeping up with "hard-core" workouts - listen to your body and take care of yourself and your baby!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.