Flip Flops hurting my feet

MAYNARDSMOM

Cathlete
I love to wear cute flip flops in the summer but lately they are kiling my left foot. By the end of the day, well actually by mid morning now I am having to put my sneakers on. Feet are fine when I wear my sneakers. Anyone else have this problem? I did buy a pair that have a slight arch in the sole hoping it would help...Not so much.
I don't want to wear sneakers all the time!:(

Bwahahahaha! Sorry, not laughing at you, but I have huge blisters from wearing new flip flops in a soggy parking lot all afternoon the the Jimmy Buffett concert. No, I can't wear them all the time.

Flip flops are actually one of the worst foot-wear choices out there. They have no arch support, and make your foot work in an unhealthy manner, having to grip on with you toes. You're straining your plantar fascia. Sneakers are the much better choice unless you're only doing a bit of walking. With that said, I wear flats all summer long, I just try to make sure to mix it up and wear "proper" shoes any time I will be doing a lot of walking.

There are lots of cute and supportive sandals out there. You don't need to stick to sneakers, but you should def toss the flipflops.

Tami, I feel for ya! I ADORE flip flops and feel guilty every time I wear them...... daily.:p It is INSANE how many pairs I have. I can't give them up!!

I love flip flops and sandels as well - but now a few months into wearing there here and there - my knee is starting to bother me again.

I went to a sports med doc last year and he said that the summer is a very busy time for him because of people not wearing the proper supportive footwear and how is greatly effects otehr parts of your legs... Mine being my knee...

It's tough though - i love some flip flops for summer - so I just try to balance out with supportive shoes whenever I can...

Flip-flops are my arch (no pun intended) enemy...So HOW do I have 23 pair in the closet, by the door, in boxes, at the cabin and shoved in the trunk of the car? One can only wonder...

MJ

They hurt me, too. Supposed to be the worst foot wear out there. They bother my PF, my back and my knees. No support, and people tend to curl their toes a bit to keep them on. Flat slides are worse for me than flip flops bc they don't have the in btwn toe thing to keep them on. The only thing I use them for now is grilling, so I can run in and out of the house and not keep having to tie and untie shoes. I also got some gel filled foot things from Avon, you put them in the fridge and they get nice and cold, strap them on over your socks and kick back and relax. Ahhhhhh - they feel so good on tired feet. Great after a flip flop day, a run, or a high impact session.

Nan

PS - remember when they were called "thongs"

Now - are talking about the thong flip flops?? Between the toe?? Personally, I hate those and you wouldn't catch me dead in a pair. I don't think they are even remotely cute and I think they look cheap - like you couldn't afford real shoes. They are everywhere now - even worn as bridal shoes - which I think is deplorable. With so many gorgeous shoes out there why limit yourself to those ugly things???!!?!?! That is, of course, is my own personal opinion. I do have a couple sandals that "flip flop" but with a strap across the toes (not between them) - those I like.

I only have 1 pair of flip flops-made by Crocs (they have a slight arch support). I stopped wearing unsuported shoes. Most of the summer months I wear Naots sandals or shoes. They were just made for my flat feet. If you go to Zappos you will see a nice selection of Naots.

It depends on the flip-flop

I really enjoy flip-flops in the summer too. I have tendencies toward PF also. I absolutely cannot wear flimsy flip-flops - but that's true of sandals and shoewear too. However, I have some f-f where the sole is thick and they have an firm arch and I do not have problems with my PF flaring when wearing them. Of course I don't go for long walks in them either. Here's a link: http://www.apma.org/MainMenu/News/Safely-Step-Into-Summer-With-10-Essential-Flip-Flop-Tips.aspx

Deb :D

Flip flops don't work for me either. I do have a couple pair for "shower shoes" for public shower situations, but I switched to birkenstock and birki's:

http://www.zappos.com/gizeh

I like them, it is a light sandal look with some arch support! The birki gizeh I bought are polyurethane, they were great for a trip to a tropical/rainy environment because they actually have tiny drain holes!

My neighbor swears by these:

http://www.amazon.com/FitFlop-Women...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1245767034&sr=8-4

I'm another flip-flop dissenter! :p

I really think they are unattractive and un-polished looking. Also, as a past sufferer of PF, they are SO bad for your feet. I just do not wear any shoes that don't offer excellent arch support and have at least a little bit of heel to them. Flat, supportless shoes (ie: flip flops) are totally out of the question.

It is amazing to me the flip flop craze. Even the college guys are into them. My college student DS wears them all the time. His motto is that he's wearing his flip flops out until the weather gets cold enough for water to freeze! I was at a wedding last weekend and saw one of the young guests (early 20's) in a nice 3 piece suit and a pair of flip flops. I guess I'm an old fuddy duddy because I did NOT think he looked "cool".

I am a huge fan of sandals, but I always wear brands that are comfy and good for your feet.... Born, Sofft, Clarks, etc.

Here is my most favorite pair of summer sandals ever. I've been wearing them for two seasons and have them in three colors. They are CUTE and so comfortable. I've walked Vegas in them numerous times, which is the true test of comfort!

Born Lusaka

ETA: I have them on in my avatar, although it's probably too tiny to tell!

I don't want to wear sneakers all the time!:(
IMO, flip flops are probably the worst shoes you can wear for your feet. I also don't think they look that good. (And I have only worn them once in my life, and they gave me blisters between my toes, so never again). I think they are only good for wearing in public showers and maybe on the beach.

But flip flops or sneakers aren't the only two choices.
I refuse to wear uncomfortable/unhealthy shoes, so I stick with Birkenstocks, Tevas and Crocs in the summer. There are some cute Birkie styles out now. Check them out and see what you think.

***WHINING**** I love my flip flops :(:( I'm not talking the cheapy $2 pair from wal-mart that come in every color under the sun. Mine are Bass I believe that do have a cushiony sole. Funny, today I have worn them & so far no problem. Tomorrow will be sneaks for sure!
A little background for my wearing of them. I work out of my home (daycare) & just mainly walking around the hosue & outdoors. Not like I'm going fo rwlks in them, put the Rykas on for that! I know I know how bad they are and upon everyones advice will cut back on my wearing of them :(.

Interesting to see somany different opinions of them - who knew :rolleyes:. I do remember when they were called "thongs". My boys would die if I called them thongs in public!! :eek::eek: ie, Standing in line at store with 14 & 16 yr old ds's "OH wait , I need to grab some new thongs!!""
LOL!!!!!:eek::eek::eek: Their faces would be priceless!!

Now - are talking about the thong flip flops?? Between the toe?? Personally, I hate those and you wouldn't catch me dead in a pair. I don't think they are even remotely cute and I think they look cheap - like you couldn't afford real shoes.

Sorry I live in them. I wear them to the beach, and to the pool and I wear them with my jeans and shorts. By the way I can afford real shoes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.