Flea Collar?

trixie108

Cathlete
I was thinking about getting flea collars for my dog and 2 cats now that the weather is getting nice. My dog is outside a lot, and loves to roll around on the ground :confused:. The cats go outside, but only on the deck.

I never really thought twice about it-I just assumed it would be a good idea to prevent fleas. But now I'm reading that they're bad for pets because of the chemicals? Should I do without and if they happen to get fleas, then get it treated? Or are there certain brands of collars that aren't harmful to pets? Any ideas or thoughts?

I personally don't like flea collars. I prefer to use Advantix or Frontline. Two of my cats have gotten ill from flea collars in the past--even the herbal one from the health food store. Actually that one was the worst. My cat literally collapsed and I had to tear the collar off him. It really scared me! If anyone has any better ideas, I would like to know also.

I won't use flea collars, and I never did find them to be very effective. I only use Frontline now (I like Advantage but we have ticks in our area so really need the Frontline.) I don't put it on every month, but I do put it on at very first sign of fleas and fall/early winter for ticks. I just did my guys last week. It may seem expensive but it is so much better than trying to treat with shampoo, powders, bombs, etc.

I'm currently using Comfortis (for fleas) and the Preventix follar (for ticks) on the dogs. I'm using Advantage Multi for the cats. I have heavy flea (Frontline resistant) and tick pressure (including Lyme disease) so my regime may be overkill in a lower pest pressure area but it works well for me.

Lisa

I use a rechargable herbal flea collar from Natural Animal http://www.botanicaldog.com/proddetail.php?prod=HBFC01&PARTNER=judyshealthcafe

and have used this when I had a really bad tick infestation http://www.diatect.com/flea-and-tick-killer.php

I won't use Advantix because of the severe reaction 3 of my dogs had to it. My Aussie looked like a hammerhead shark within a short time of applying it and the other two went completely crazy, howling, hiding, etc. I have used Frontline but try to avoid it as well.

I don't like flea collars. I use Sentinel, which is a once a month tablet that is used for flea control as well as heartworm medication (June to November).

linda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.