Fitness Misconceptions

fawn001

Here, in my opinion, are the biggest fitness misconceptions:

1) You will see results in six to eight weeks.

This is such a lie!! If you are an unfit person, it will take a year to really see results. And that is only if you work out consistently on a regular basis.

And once you get fit, dont quit. Fitness is a Catch 22 and if you quit people will be saying behind your back "Look how her body is going down."

Sometimes I wish I had never gotten started in fitness! But it is too late for me now, I am hooked. So now my family is critical of me because they say all I care about is working out. But if I stop, they talk about me behind my back! "Look how fat she is getting" "Look how fat her legs are looking these days." "Look how saggy her butt looks, she used to look so much better."

At least if you dont work out you look the same all the time! Hah! :confused:

NO NO NO don't think that plz! don't think you should have never gotten started. some ppl just like to drag you down no matter what you do(believe i have ppl at work doing it all the time yet NOT one of them does a damn thing fitness wise). they want to put you down when you are not healthy b/c its like kicking a dog when its down but yet they want to talk about your fitness goals and habits b/c point blank they are jealous!!

its THEIR problem not yours. try that little mantra when it bothers you. this same thing hits me day in and day out and i try that and sometimes that helps. that and the fact that they won't come do pull ups or kettlebells with me at the gym or try a cathe video with me. ppl just like to talk the talk b/c they can't walk the walk.

kassia

ETA:yes its true doing things the right way take time, its worth the process b/c you learn about yourself in strength and what you are truly capable of when you put your mind and willpower to it! you raise your self esteem,your self worth and your image of yourself as a person. its more then looks its a whole life change,but its for the better to lead a quality life of good health and strength. i get ppl that believe i need to be skinny etc but i don't want that. i am athletics built and i work with that. strong legs and broad shoulders give me the advantage to build a great strong body and flat abs isn't a sign of true strength of the body. it will all come with time.

Last edited:
its THEIR problem not yours.
*nods* Kassia's right.

About the Catch 22, I know exactly what you're saying. I've worked out for over 20 years, and I know there are a few in my social circle who are just patiently waiting for me to crumble in some fashion.

They used to say, "Wait until you have kids." Now it's, "Wait until you turn 40." :rolleyes:

Not that they're cruel, but they are human, and something as simple as me putting on 20 pounds might temporarily make them feel a little better about themselves.

It used to bother me. Now I've learned that I have no choice but to ignore it. If I put on 20 pounds and they rejoice, fine. I can gain 20 pounds and still be happy and grateful. That's the way my mind works. They, on the other hand, will watch me gain 20 pounds and undoubtedly go back to feeling inferior about something else. That's the way their minds work.

This is such a lie!! If you are an unfit person, it will take a year to really see results. And that is only if you work out consistently on a regular basis.

And once you get fit, dont quit. Fitness is a Catch 22 and if you quit people will be saying behind your back "Look how her body is going down."

Sometimes I wish I had never gotten started in fitness! But it is too late for me now, I am hooked. So now my family is critical of me because they say all I care about is working out. But if I stop, they talk about me behind my back! "Look how fat she is getting" "Look how fat her legs are looking these days." "Look how saggy her butt looks, she used to look so much better."

At least if you dont work out you look the same all the time! Hah! :confused:

Wow, that's a pretty sad way to look at things. I really hope you are wrong about your family feeling that way.

I think the biggest aha I had after years of off and on dieting and exercising was that no matter what other people are saying, anything good or bad I accomplish belongs to me and it does not matter one bit what other people say as long as I am happy. And that health and fitness is not a number on the scale or a size I fit in.

I don't think there are any general rules as to when to see effects, everyone is different and it depends on what you consider effects. When I restarted my health and fitness journey last summer I couldn't jog for for more than 20 seconds, within a couple of weeks the seconds became a minute and so on, until I ran 10 miles, my weight started coming down consistently, my resting heart rate came down, my endurance increased and I saw small changes in my physique.

Of course, you can't see a complete transformation in just a few weeks, not for the people who have a lot to work on and not for people who only have a little bit.

I say, good for you that you stick with your exercise program and maybe at some point your family will see the light. In the meantime, YOU GO GIRL!!!

ETA: Lori, I have heard the same comments about the 40s. I am 44, so I guess I shouldn't be able to lose any weight and improve my fitness. I hate to proove the naysayers wrong. As of today I have lost 91 lbs, I am running 10 miles at a time and my resting heart rate has come down from over 80 to 55 to 65. Needless to say that I have the overwhelming urge to stick my tongue out them and say "Pfffft" :p:D

Last edited:
Wow, that's a pretty sad way to look at things. I really hope you are wrong about your family feeling that way.

I think the biggest aha I had after years of off and on dieting and exercising was that no matter what other people are saying, anything good or bad I accomplish belongs to me and it does not matter one bit what other people say as long as I am happy. And that health and fitness is not a number on the scale or a size I fit in.

I don't think there are any general rules as to when to see effects, everyone is different and it depends on what you consider effects. When I restarted my health and fitness journey last summer I couldn't jog for for more than 20 seconds, within a couple of weeks the seconds became a minute and so on, until I ran 10 miles, my weight started coming down consistently, my resting heart rate came down, my endurance increased and I saw small changes in my physique.

Of course, you can't see a complete transformation in just a few weeks, not for the people who have a lot to work on and not for people who only have a little bit.

I say, good for you that you stick with your exercise program and maybe at some point your family will see the light. In the meantime, YOU GO GIRL!!!

ETA: Lori, I have heard the same comments about the 40s. I am 44, so I guess I shouldn't be able to lose any weight and improve my fitness. I hate to proof the naysayers wrong. As of today I have lost 91 lbs, I am running 10 miles at a time and my resting heart rate has come down from over 80 to 55 to 65. Needless to say that I have the overwhelming urge to stick my tongue out them and say "Pfffft" :p:D
Carola!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!! Congratulations!! You've worked hard and you deserve a big... a big... a BIG ^^^5!! (I was going to say a big piece of cake :p)

I'm still plodding along. The weight I lost during my time of strife is returning but I refuse to let it get me down! And I had a run in or two with the Reese's PB Eggs, but I've been clean for the past week. :cool:

This is such a lie!! If you are an unfit person, it will take a year to really see results. And that is only if you work out consistently on a regular basis
I resolutely disagree. You will see a marked and noticeable change in your appearance after six or eight weeks and that is something I have experienced personally in my own body and seen in others. It's not as marked or as noticeable as it is after a year of effort but it's there and it's undeniable. That said, I agree with Carola in that I also believe there is not a rule as to how long a particular type of exercise will need to be performed in order to make a visible change to a person's body.

I loved getting fit and I love being fit. There are negative nellies everywhere if you look for them but you don't have to do that now do you :)

Everyone has their own journey to make. Don't let another person's misconception knock you off your own. If working out makes you feel good, then let yourself be happy and you won't notice the unhelpful criticism.

So yeah, in essence, don't worry, be happy... and keep on working out! (if it makes you happy) :)

They used to say, "Wait until you have kids." Now it's, "Wait until you turn 40." :rolleyes:

Not that they're cruel, but they are human, and something as simple as me putting on 20 pounds might temporarily make them feel a little better about themselves.

This is so true!
I can remember a family member telling me that my hip bones would spread giving birth to my second child and never go back. That really upset me!:( Hey, I was 26:p I didn't know.

I agree with Carola, success is measured in different ways. You can make improvements every single day. Little successes turn into one big one. Way to go Carola! :D:D:D

Fawn, learn to enjoy the process. Fitness is fun, and a never ending journey and hopefully you will inspire a few people along the way.

Fawn

I'm so sorry you don't have the support system around you that encourages you to continue with something you enjoy. I've never had any negative remarks thrown my way, only encouragement. Now I've never been overweight and no one in my family is either so we don't have any hangups to begin with I guess. My friends all want an active lifestyle but find it hard to fit it in with kids, mainly b/c they don't do videos like I do. All I can say is do the best that you can and remember its YOU that needs to be happy and don't let anyone else make you feel different.

I would wager most of us don't have a support system. That's why we spend so much time here. ;) I get the eye rolling & scowling & worse whenever I mention exercise or diet to family, friends, coworkers.

I think noticable change occurs after about 12 weeks, especially w/unfit people b/c you're really shocking your system. It's much more difficult for fit people to jump start things & kick it up a notch.

Don't get frustrated. We've all been there & the solution is to be consistent & push yourself. I hate to sound trite, but the "no pain, no gain" thing is true.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.