Firewalker Bands

emigliori

Cathlete
Hello everyone,
This has probably been addressed before, so I apologize if that's the case. I have either broken or lost my Altus Firewalker bands and am ready for a new set. Unfortunately, the one's in Cathe's shop get horrible reviews for breaking (I can commiserate with that since 2 of mine broke). I was wondering if you guys just keep purchasing them over and over or have you found another brand or an alternative to using them? I hate to thrown $$ away even though they are not expensive.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Elizabeth

I use them all the time, and never broke any. I got my from Cathe several years ago, I bought extra in case they break but haven't had to use them yet.

I bought 3 sets just incase they break I would have extra because my previous ones (not Cathe) did break and Cathe had them on the daily value. I am still on my first set for over a year now and none have broken. So I still have 2 boxes unopened sitting around. They are getting a little stretched out so I might changed them soon, but mine have not broken.

I had a green band from a different company that snapped during a workout. I bought Cathe's a while ago (2 years maybe) and they have not broken. The green one is just now starting to feel a little stretched but I still have (and use) the pink and blue ones. They're fine. Sometimes I work extra hard almost daring them to snap! Hasn't happened.

I have good luck with Cathe's too. Have had mine for over a year now and just recently change the green one out only because I felt it was starting to stretch a bit.

I can relate to the Cathe firewalker breaking! My blue one snapped during the middle of a workout and shot across the room! However, I must say I have used my green one for over a year and it has not snapped yet!

If it were me, I would probably just get another Cathe set and take my chances, AND I would also keep my receipt and if they break within the first few months I would seek to return it!

Best wishes

As someone else mentioned my Green Cathe is in perfect condition, but both of my blue one's broke. I have some bands from Power Systems
Power Systems | Fitness Equipment for Professionals | Power Systems

And I've had really good luck with them as well.

I have both the Power Systems and Cathe firewalkers. So far, the PS bands have snapped (after much use) but my Cathe bands have stood the test of time. The difference might be that the Cathe FWs are not as tight as the PS bands.

I consider firewalker bands more a consumable item, like clothing, because with time/use, they are going to wear out/fail on you. Just the nature of the beast. Luckily, they are not that expensive and Cathe offers them on Deal of the Day pretty frequently. It could be worth stocking up next time.

So far so good (about a year)...I have not had any issue with cathe's firewalkers. It has passed the test while another had not. I have a spare box and will be adding more;);)

All the very best,

Thanks for all the input everyone! My original Cathe bands lasted me almost 2 years so... not bad. I was just surprised to see the poor reviews when you go the product.

Anyway, I'm gonna get them.

Thanks again,

Elizabeth

Firewalker Loops

Some things to know and remember about Firewalker Loops or any type of resistance band. Firstly, any band you buy will usually break as a result of small tear caused by fingernails or a sharp edge of a step riser or shoe as the band is pulled over. Firewalker Loops rarely break from stretching, but instead break when used after a small tear first develops. Once you have a small tear and then apply tension to a band it will quickly rip the rest of the way and fail. The only way to prevent a band from failing is to prevent the band from developing a small tear to begin with.

Secondly, most bands that are sold by various companies, including ours, are made by the same plant in China. The only difference is the name on the product. Our bands are made from a compound called TPE. The "E" stands for elastic and is why this type of band has the feel that it does even after it has been stretched.

There are other thicker non-TPE bands that you can use that are more durable, but there is a slight trade off in elasticity of these thicker bands and the exercises they can be used for. If you been to our offsite road trips you might have used these bands. I believe these are sold by Power Systems.

But as long as you avoid tears our bands will last you a pretty long time. We've used the same bands in our videos and rehearsals for years without any problems.

Last edited:
plus

make sure to store them in a cool room - and not get direct sunlight .. the heat and sunlight will make them deteriorate faster .. a very hot room would/could melt them ... and this is any elastic band .. has nothing to do w/brand ..

but I love my Cathe bands .. they have lasted longer than any other brand I have used ... and when one breaks .. i will just buy another!!! no biggie!!

make sure to store them in a cool room - and not get direct sunlight .. the heat and sunlight will make them deteriorate faster .. a very hot room would/could melt them ... and this is any elastic band .. has nothing to do w/brand ..

but I love my Cathe bands .. they have lasted longer than any other brand I have used ... and when one breaks .. i will just buy another!!! no biggie!!

You are so right about the temp and sunlight of a room. They start to stick together and get nasty. I had that problem a long time ago. I've even had my non Cathe 6ft bands break. I always order a few and when I open up the last, I order more. Not only for breakage but they just get stretched out over time and useage. But I do love the Cathe firewalker. I've had others and didn't like how thick they were.

I haven't had as much luck with my bands. Almost all have broken apart since purchasing (about 2 years ago). I have one firewalker and one regular band left remaining :(. Ah well - They are good enough for now.

In addition to controlling the sunlight and temps of a room as PPs mentioned, I've found it extremely helpful to lay the bands out so they can dry out before I fold them up and put them away (lay the straight bands out flat, stand the firewalker bands in a circle on their side).

I learned this the hard way. In the past I would put them away sweaty and that made them deteriorate to that nasty sticky phase even faster.

In addition to controlling the sunlight and temps of a room as PPs mentioned, I've found it extremely helpful to lay the bands out so they can dry out before I fold them up and put them away (lay the straight bands out flat, stand the firewalker bands in a circle on their side).

I learned this the hard way. In the past I would put them away sweaty and that made them deteriorate to that nasty sticky phase even faster.

I added a few hooks on my workout room wall to hold all my bands, loops, and tubings. This way they dry out great and are away from direct sunlight and it keeps things off the floor.

I added a few hooks on my workout room wall to hold all my bands, loops, and tubings. This way they dry out great and are away from direct sunlight and it keeps things off the floor.

I do the same thing and I've never had a firewalker band break on me. I did have a Reebok brand (thick/heavy resistance) band break on me once while I was doing the step ups in Muscle Max where Cathe uses a band. Yikes! :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.