Finished the Hunger Games Trilogy- now what?

pjlippert

Cathlete
So, I finished the last book in the Hunger Games last night. I'm thinking there is another series to follow based on the ending. But, now what do I delve into now for reading pleasure? Some friends have recommended the Twighlight series but I just simply don't like the actors in the movies and can't get through the first 20 minutes of the first one. Pretty sure that will taint my view of the books.

What have you read once leaving Panem? ;-)

Thanks!
Pam

I read the HG's and loved the trilogy! Other series I enjoyed that are similar dystopian-type books:

City of Ember (4-Book series) Jeanne Duprau
Matched & Crossed (2-Book Series) Ally Condie

I started reading Divergent by Veronica Roth (Insurgent is the 2nd. book in the series) but, when the Hunger Games movie was almost out, I decided to read the first book again. I couldn't stop and I'm now halfway thru the second book AGAIN! I prob will have to restart Divergent! :) (Which was very good too!)

Oh, I also read a couple of the Underlander Chronicles which are fun reads by Suzanne Collins (same author as the HG's)

Have fun deciding...wish I had more time to read!

I'm still in Panem on Catching Fire...I didn't really want to read HG but read it first to make sure it was okay for my DS to read. Of course I got hooked so I like Debbie's idea of reading them again :D

I'm reading Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. It is the first book in a five book series called A Song of Fire and Ice. I'm not watching the show on HBO because I don't want to spoil anything. It's certainly different from HG, but it has interesting characters and a great plot that makes you want to keep reading.

I read the HG's and loved the trilogy! Other series I enjoyed that are similar dystopian-type books:

City of Ember (4-Book series) Jeanne Duprau
Matched & Crossed (2-Book Series) Ally Condie

I started reading Divergent by Veronica Roth (Insurgent is the 2nd. book in the series) but, when the Hunger Games movie was almost out, I decided to read the first book again. I couldn't stop and I'm now halfway thru the second book AGAIN! I prob will have to restart Divergent! :) (Which was very good too!)

Oh, I also read a couple of the Underlander Chronicles which are fun reads by Suzanne Collins (same author as the HG's)

Have fun deciding...wish I had more time to read!

Thank you, Debbie! Tough decision!

Pam

I'm reading Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. It is the first book in a five book series called A Song of Fire and Ice. I'm not watching the show on HBO because I don't want to spoil anything. It's certainly different from HG, but it has interesting characters and a great plot that makes you want to keep reading.

Thank you for this as well! I'm gonna check out these books on Amazon & figure out which series to dive into next.

Pam

Awesome HBO series!

Pam,
I know they are considered books for children, but the Harry Potter series is actually an incredible read for adults too. I've read all 7 books and enjoyed them very much. High recommended two thumbs up!

Also do you like horror? Dean Koontz is my favorite writer from that genre along with Bentley Little.

Natasha

I enjoyed the Dragon Tattoo series. I also really liked the Steven James series starting with The Pawn, then The Rook, The Knight, The Bishop, The Queen....cant wait for the next one!!

I enjoyed the Dragon Tattoo series. I also really liked the Steven James series starting with The Pawn, then The Rook, The Knight, The Bishop, The Queen....cant wait for the next one!!

I saw this post & quickly ran over to my library yesterday and picked up "The Rook" by Steven James (it looked like something I'd enjoy!). They didn't have the first one, The Pawn, otherwise I would have gotten it. I'm a few chapters into The Rook so far and I like it! Thanks for the tip! I've been needing something new. Haven't had anything good to read in a little while ..... about a week. :p (I'm always reading something it seems).

KARA

I read Divergent for book club and pretty much hated it. Loved Hunger Games, though. Divergent is much more violent and for me not in a good way. Also, I did not find the writing style to be as engaging.

Book club also considered reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone as the young adult pick, which I listened to and enjoyed much more than Divergent. The fantasy aspect of Smoke and Bone was interesting and made the violence in that book (which is minimal) to be more acceptable. Also, this book has humor in it, which I also enjoyed as a contrast to the more intense parts.

I recommend The Passage by Justin Cronin. It is the first in a three-part series, and the second one is coming out this fall. I was riveted. Definitely a dystopic future America. Nice and long, too.

Fargomom...Make sure you read The Pawn pretty soon. This is a series where you really want to read things in order! Somethings in the first book appear later and you'll be a bit lost/confused to the significance of things!!

He's got 3 more books to come out in the series! Sept 2012 is "Opening Moves" which is said to be a prequel. Then the following year The King and then Checkmate. Cant wait!

Here's another great series, again, these really must be read in order b/c the family ages/grows/evolves with each story. Each book gets better. Here's a list of the books in order....

William Kent Krueger Booklist

I'm on the last one and hate to see the story end :(

Fargomom...Make sure you read The Pawn pretty soon. This is a series where you really want to read things in order! Somethings in the first book appear later and you'll be a bit lost/confused to the significance of things!!

He's got 3 more books to come out in the series! Sept 2012 is "Opening Moves" which is said to be a prequel. Then the following year The King and then Checkmate. Cant wait!

Good to know! I requested "The Pawn," so hopefully I'll get that soon. It looks like it'll be ready for me sometime in early May. I'm about halfway through "The Rook" now and I really like it. Funny. I've heard about Steven James before (probably on the Cathe forums!), but never followed through on trying one of his books! Now I'm in the club though, I guess. Haha! ;):D What I'm most excited about is that he has so many books. I always need to be reading something, so I have a lot of his to plow through now! Yay!

I went through a lot of YA fiction after Hunger Games. A lot are easy to read but just okay. These are a couple I found memorable:

The Forest of Hands & Teeth by Carrie Ryan
Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

I do hope that YA authors take note from Collins and get more books out that feature strong, smart, and complex female leads, whose personalities are not based solely on the swooning after of the super hot otherworldly male character.

I recommend The Passage by Justin Cronin. It is the first in a three-part series, and the second one is coming out this fall. I was riveted. Definitely a dystopic future America. Nice and long, too.

Totally agreeing here...The Passage was the first thing i thought of as a good book (and future trilogy) to read for someone who likes Hunger Games.

Currently reading Hunger Games for the second time myself. :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.