filming today vs filming of 1st videos

twosquared

Cathlete
Hi! Cathe - the blog is such a great way for us to see what is really involved in the making of these videos. When I saw the photo in today's blog of NFL setting up the cameras, it made me wonder how much has the process changed since the filming of your first videos. Was only one camera used back then, were the videos done in one take etc. Would be interesting to hear from you.

Good luck with everything!!

Good question, I was also thinking about this when I was reading the blog. Were there just a handfull of people on the set compared to 30. I bet it's neat to look back and compare the things that were happening and to see how much you've grown.

:) Chrissy

Hi Twosquared! Things really have come a long way. Partly due to technology and partly due to budget. But yes, long ago we only used two video camera's (front shot and a side shot) and were not nearly able to cover up some of the mistakes we can now.... so we did a lot more retakes.

Now we use three to four cameras, one of them being a jib/boom which zooms around and gives you views from all angles (high low, side to side, back to front, close up). The latest technology also allows us to get rid of a lot of mistakes without even having to cut and/or do it over again.

One thing that HAS NOT changed over the years, is that we still strive to do the workout in one take if possible since it is most true to the workout's natural energy and spontaneity. This hold true especially for the cardio workouts.

Finally, the one thing that HAS changed and improved in a HUGE WAY is the editing process. Advanced technology has not only made things much faster to edit, but allows us the opportunity to be much more effective and even creative in what we can offer you in the end.

Cathe writes:

>Finally, the one thing that HAS changed and improved in a HUGE
>WAY is the editing process. Advanced technology has not only
>made things much faster to edit, but allows us the opportunity
>to be much more effective and even creative in what we can
>offer you in the end.

Oh, oh. Cathe's going to slow down the film speed during the segment of those evil low ends and hover squats. I can see if now. The actual pace of both these moves is what we've done in the past. However, in this series, it will be much, much slower. Ouch, ouch, ouch! }(

OK, I'm just joking. Cathe, don't get any evil ideas....

Lorrayne

Hi Cathe

I was interested in your answer - especially that you tried to do a workout all in one take. I don't mean this in a funny or sarcastic way - but since this is the case, why does it take 12 or more hours to film one workout? What are you doing the rest of the time?

Ruth

>>
>Hi! Cathe,

Thanks so much for responding - know you are in the middle of the editing process}( .

It was very interesting to read. I figured you did the workouts from start to finish, but it was nice to read that - means I know you guys are right there with me when I am doing them.

I just read another post that tomorrow is your b-day - Happy Birthday!!! Enjoy!!!

>Oh, oh. Cathe's going to slow down the film speed during the
>segment of those evil low ends and hover squats. I can see if
>now. The actual pace of both these moves is what we've done
>in the past. However, in this series, it will be much, much
>slower. Ouch, ouch, ouch! }(
>

NFL films is known for some special effects. Maybe in addition to sloooooow hover squats and low-ends, we'll have speeded up step moves, slow and double-high plyo jacks ,etc.}(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.