Fifty Shades

I was also a tad bit curious until I saw on GMA or The Today Show that it focuses on whips and such? I like a good love story but I think this one will be a pass for me.

Actually when I got to that part of the book I was ready to end it and not read any further....but my friend told me to give it another chance, and I have yet to get to a part that has gotten deep into his "addiction".

I didn't care for it at all. I didn't even get 25% into the first book. I won't finish reading, not my type of reading. Glad for all that love them but for me, it is a no go. I will stick to my other reading. I think I made it to the second sex scene and it was too much and not for me.

Rhonda

my mistake

I don't usually like female authors or chick lit, I am out of the loop without TV (and just busy).... I thought E.L. James sounded like a man...looked at the cover and figured it was murder/mystery something like that. then my two girls were tired of costco so I grabbed them as I ran by because I had heard something about it (the name rang a bell) :eek: OOOOOOPS!!
I thought at the beggining I wouldn't like it, then I got into the story line, and well it is pretty hot n' naughty!:eek:

For people who fool around that much I'm guessing they don't have to work out any more! Think about the calories they must be burning. :D

I wanted to see Magic Mike too! :p

There isn't enough stuff like that out there for women. I think I'll get the book.

"Magic Mike" gets eaten up by the seediness of the characters' lives. Soderbergh neds to stop riding on his past indie cred, largely gained from Sex, Lies and Videotape, and actually make a decent movie or a change. "Traffic" was a poor imitation of the BBC dramatization and Magic Mike? Well, the best bits were Mike's dancing. The rest? I'd rather read ""50 Shades and I found that untitillating, badly written and a waste of my time! If you want titillating, erotic fiction for women, try Lisa Valdez' "Passion."

Sorry, but there's no need to join a band wagon unless the wagon is worth the ride. Still, to each her own.

I'm off to watch "Breaking Bad" with my daughter. Now there's some excellent writing and a fascinating study of moral ambiguity I recommend to all. It's a thrill ride! Not for the faint of heart!!

Clare

Read all 3 books. Absolutely could not put them down. The movie is in the works. Ian Somerhalder is the front runner for Christian. I have to say that I think he is very fitting for the role...... :D

I agree, I think Ian Sommerhalder is a good choice for Christian too

I haven't read the books, but a friend of mine has and hopes the guy who plays Erik in True Blood will get the role.

**hastily scribbles down Lisa Valdez' Passion for future reference***

I would not come here to "yuck someone elses yum" as it were. If 50 shades does it for you and you love it and it gets you excited about your partner then....I say Go! Enjoy!

I have a perverse (pun intended) reaction to the wildly popular trends...I've still never read any Harry Potter, nor Twilight series, nor even the Grisham's from way back when.

I can't bring myself to do it...and I recognize I might be missing something.

I kinda figured once this was posted there would be a love/hate/lust thing with this series. I think it's totally cool and love to hear the various sides! I look at this like some surreal fantasy and read it for total escapism!! On a slightly twisted note, I would have like to hear more about Christian's job & how on earth he manages to spend sooo much time as a Dom and so little time as a CEO. :p:p

To me, it's just a darned good Summer-tiime read!! Just for fun!! :D:eek:

Happy reading (or not!).

Pam

I kinda figured once this was posted there would be a love/hate/lust thing with this series. I think it's totally cool and love to hear the various sides! I look at this like some surreal fantasy and read it for total escapism!! On a slightly twisted note, I would have like to hear more about Christian's job & how on earth he manages to spend sooo much time as a Dom and so little time as a CEO. :p:p

To me, it's just a darned good Summer-tiime read!! Just for fun!! :D:eek:

Happy reading (or not!).

Pam

Pam:

this was going through my head the entire time also!!!

I should point out: I read Romance novels all the time and have read plenty of racy stuff, including S&M and have completed studies at the PhD level in Cultural studies that include articles on S&M. I have no trouble reading any of it. I am very open minded.

To my mind, 50 Shades just happens to have caught public attention at this time. It could have been any other book. There are much better writers working within the Romance genre, and there are far more titillating reads. I don't even consider 50 Shades all that racy. Most of the action in this series is spent on Anastasia's conversations with her inner goddess and superego (here's where the worst writing exists) and on her contractual negotiations with Christian and the plentiful vanilla sex that goes on between them. If anything, I think the hype surrounding the books exceeds the content itself.

What I found both interesting and dismaying at the same time is the fact that it took the publication of these books for the topic of women's sexual fantasy lives to hit the front page of Time magazine. Why was this such a surprise to anybody? Of course we have sexual fantasy lives, of course we have fantasies about bondage, being "taken" against our will, etc. The article in Times magazine asked: "how do women square these fantasies with their feminism?" Answer: easy! It's fantasy. Giving permission for my partner to be forceful in the bedroom does not in any way mean I want to be raped or endorse such violence against women. Nor does it mean I do not believe in equal pay or that I am not concerned by how few women we have in high ranking positions in business and politics. I can only conclude that the entire editorial staff for that Time article must have been male.

Sorry if I "yucked" on Pam's "yum." Isn't Ryan Gosling in the running for this role?

Clare

If I read about her "inner Goddess" one more time ,I could have thrown the book out the back door. Surely us women don't need this rubbish to get our sex lives back on track! Live in the real world and remember why you fell in love in the first place! Reality is much better than fantasy!! If stuff like this is needed, I would say that the relationship is lacking somehow.

Sorry if I "yucked" on Pam's "yum."

Isn't Ryan Gosling in the running for this role?

Clare

Clare, I didn't think at all that you were "yuck-ing" - that was not at all the intention of my comment....I was merely thinking of the wide range of opinions that might come up about this particular subject.

I hope you weren't offended..:(

Now, Ryan Gosling. That man is adorable. :p There's a feisty little activity in the special needs world involving him and a popular meme (not that I truly understand what a meme is - just....they're funny).

OK, forgive my rambling...I haven't had a drop of coffee yet.....carry on, please, with this lively topic!

If I read about her "inner Goddess" one more time ,I could have thrown the book out the back door. Surely us women don't need this rubbish to get our sex lives back on track! Live in the real world and remember why you fell in love in the first place! Reality is much better than fantasy!! If stuff like this is needed, I would say that the relationship is lacking somehow.

Now, this is definitely "yucking" on someone else's "yum". Exactly why do you feel the need to post such a personal negative comment? Books, movies, toys, etc., have been used to spice up relationships for many years. This does not mean the relationship is lacking. Maybe you should just focus on your own relationship (come down off your high horse), and just hope that it's as fulfilling as "you" perceive it to be........ :rolleyes:

Yes, this was my original thought when the topic was first posted...that it might get people up in arms one way or another. And I'm very non-confrontational as a general rule so....this debate makes me a bit itchy...yet, here I am! :p

I didn't realize this had made Time's cover. I never see real magazines anymore....for good or bad....most of my info is found online.

I may be dating myself with this but...does anyone else remember Nancy Friday (I think that was her name)? IIRC, she compiled a book (or several) filled with women's fantasies. I think it was pretty controversial at the time.

I enjoy well written books of most genres...and I enjoy some not very well written books also! A good story, be it romance, action, murder, or even erotica, can be life changing. It's all about the imagination and how you choose to interact with what you're reading.

Anyway, I've had a little coffee now and I think I might be making just a tad more sense...but that's not for certain.

Actually, I was thinking about all the erotica I have read...and I've read a lot! One of my favorite scenes ever was in a Luanne Rice book, I think, and involved a pint of Ben & Jerry's - thereby combining all my favorite things in just a few paragraphs! :eek::p:eek:

I have to say he looks like a perfect choice for Christian. I am reading the books now, on the second one....there are very easy to read, however, this is not reality. Does anyone really fool around this much????? Right??

As early on as they are in their relationship? Hell yeah. I am 100% certain of that, and I'll leave it at that. :)

Bravo, Clare!! Very nicely stated! Not 'yucking' at all!

Pam

Pam:

this was going through my head the entire time also!!!

I should point out: I read Romance novels all the time and have read plenty of racy stuff, including S&M and have completed studies at the PhD level in Cultural studies that include articles on S&M. I have no trouble reading any of it. I am very open minded.

To my mind, 50 Shades just happens to have caught public attention at this time. It could have been any other book. There are much better writers working within the Romance genre, and there are far more titillating reads. I don't even consider 50 Shades all that racy. Most of the action in this series is spent on Anastasia's conversations with her inner goddess and superego (here's where the worst writing exists) and on her contractual negotiations with Christian and the plentiful vanilla sex that goes on between them. If anything, I think the hype surrounding the books exceeds the content itself.

What I found both interesting and dismaying at the same time is the fact that it took the publication of these books for the topic of women's sexual fantasy lives to hit the front page of Time magazine. Why was this such a surprise to anybody? Of course we have sexual fantasy lives, of course we have fantasies about bondage, being "taken" against our will, etc. The article in Times magazine asked: "how do women square these fantasies with their feminism?" Answer: easy! It's fantasy. Giving permission for my partner to be forceful in the bedroom does not in any way mean I want to be raped or endorse such violence against women. Nor does it mean I do not believe in equal pay or that I am not concerned by how few women we have in high ranking positions in business and politics. I can only conclude that the entire editorial staff for that Time article must have been male.

Sorry if I "yucked" on Pam's "yum." Isn't Ryan Gosling in the running for this role?

Clare

Just adding: no, don't worry, I haven't been offended by anyone's comments at all.

As far as having access to and using fantasy in my own personal life is concerned: just try and stop it! As one poster said, what our imagination does with what we view, hear and read is totally unpredictable and highly idiosyncratic. I can't stop my fantasy life anymore than I can stop breathing and for the same reason: why would I want to? Pick up any sex book in the self help shelves of Barnes & Noble and it will tell you: fantasy is good, it is more than permissible, it is healthy and alive and kicking. Such fantasies do not in any way diminish my partner or my experiences with him.

I'm off to dream and fantasize about my next encounter with Ryan Gosling...or is it my husband?....or perhaps Christian Bale?

Clare

I'm off to dream and fantasize about my next encounter with Ryan Gosling...or is it my husband?....or perhaps Christian Bale?
Clare

Ok heck ya, Christian Bale :p:p. He's a reoccurring fantasy of mine ;) ;)

I love this thread! You ladies are giving me some good reads ;)

Natasha

Now, this is definitely "yucking" on someone else's "yum". Exactly why do you feel the need to post such a personal negative comment? Books, movies, toys, etc., have been used to spice up relationships for many years. This does not mean the relationship is lacking. Maybe you should just focus on your own relationship (come down off your high horse), and just hope that it's as fulfilling as "you" perceive it to be........ :rolleyes:

I am certainly not on any high horse and did not say for one second that my relationship is perfect. It was just food for thought for all of us to reflect on the realities of life. The book is certainly just a bit of "fluff" and to each his own. I thought this was a forum for opinions and thoughts? Mine was just another perspective on the subject. I really don't think you have any need to bring my personal relationship into this at all! It was just a general comment.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.