Fibromyalgia Flare!!!! Please advice my fellow Cathletes!

cher54

Cathlete
Any fellow Cathletes out there with fibromyalgia? I had my first initial flare five months ago and was out of commission for a couple of months. After that, my symptoms abated and I thought I was home free. Last week I started experiencing pain in my arms which has radiated throughout my body. I was diagnosed by a rheumotologist (sp) so I'm pretty positive this is what I'm experiencing. I'm having other fibro related symptoms as well. I'm not complaining, just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and how you managed it? I'm a little frustrated I can't lift much since lifting is what I really LOVE to do, but it really exacerbates the symptoms. I was on Lyrica during the first flare and didn't much care for the effects and side-effects so I've opted to go with no medication at all. Any information or advice about how you handle fibromyalgia flares would be much appreciated!:D TIA!

I have fibro, too (20 years now) & chronic fatigue syndrome. I also did not care for the side effects of Lyrica. My doctors have tried me on everything from Lyrica to Prozac, to Trazodone & muscle relaxers. I decided to heck with all that & within the last year, I have gotten off all medications. Prior to the fibro & CFS, I worked out religiously. One could say that I was addicted to exercise! When it first struck, & I was told by my Dr. to "just take a walk," I told him that he didn't understand - that I literally had to CRAWL to the bathroom! Because I was "into" exercise, I did keep trying all these years & did walk & do Yoga when I was able. Then I found Cathe 2 years ago, & started slowly doing her routines, including lifting some weights (which I discovered I loved!). I'm currently unable to lift, either, which bums me out because I finished STS for the 1st time 2 months ago, but it triggered a flare that started with my right elbow, & I'm still nursing it. For awhile, it literally hurt just to lift a cup of coffee! But, I have pushed myself to still do aerobics, because if I don't, I notice a BIG difference in my pain level. Even if I only do a 1/2 hour step routine, I stretch for at least 15 to 20 minutes afterwards. I was told that fibro involves a lack of oxygen to the muscles, & my body can attest to the fact that if I don't do some sort of aerobic activity at least 3 times a week, followed by stretching, I pay for it.

Thanks so much for you response, Jane Royce. It's very encouraging to hear that you were able to do STS at one point. Yes, I find stretching very soothing as well. I will definitely keep up with the cardio during this period of time. I remember last time I had a flare, I did manage to do half hourroutines. This is a very frustrating condition, especially being that we like to stay very active, yes? You said that you think STS triggered a flare; it seems as though when I'm possibly overtraining a bit, symptoms arise. So you must find this to be the case? You're probably much more use to the symptoms of fibro, they are still very baffling and discouraging to me. If you have the time, would you expound a little more on what you might experience and how long it lasts? TIA, in again, and have a wonderful day!:D

Thanks so much for you response, Jane Royce. It's very encouraging to hear that you were able to do STS at one point. Yes, I find stretching very soothing as well. I will definitely keep up with the cardio during this period of time. I remember last time I had a flare, I did manage to do half hourroutines. This is a very frustrating condition, especially being that we like to stay very active, yes? You said that you think STS triggered a flare; it seems as though when I'm possibly overtraining a bit, symptoms arise. So you must find this to be the case? You're probably much more use to the symptoms of fibro, they are still very baffling and discouraging to me. If you have the time, would you expound a little more on what you might experience and how long it lasts? TIA, in again, and have a wonderful day!:D

Yes, this is a VERY frustrating condition! I can't begin to tell you how many doctors I've been through over the last 20 years. At least it is recognized as an actual condition now. When I had my first flare, no one had a clue what was wrong! I get discouraged, too. I think, OK, am I really going to start back at square one - again (with exercising) after this flare??? But, if I don't, I feel worse. The other thing that has helped me that I forgot to mention before is my foam roller. It hurts so good!!! I do have to walk a fine line between overtraining & doing enough. I struggle with, "Do I need to push myself to work out today because I'm being lazy" versus listening to my body & biting the bullet & just resting. I pushed through with STS, thinking that the week off after each meso cycle would be enough rest for the elbow that started twinging with meso 1. Now, here it is 6 weeks later & I'm kicking myself for not resting it more after it first started. Another frustration I have is thinking, "Is this fibro, or have I done other damage (like to a ligament or tendon)?" I tell people that it is like having the flu - all the time - I just ache & feel lousy. I have started taking adrenal supplements, & that has helped with the fatigue. I used to get massages & even tried Rolfing, chiropractic adjustments, and accupuncture, but the relief was only temporary, & I just couldn't afford to keep it up. If I wake up with a crick in my neck, I know that it will take at least 4 to 6 weeks before I can turn my head without wincing. I also jokingly say that my heating pad is my best friend... I work with a gal that also has it, & it does help to have support here at work. We don't LOOK sick, so many people don't understand. I swear, though, that working out with Cathe has been my saving grace. There's something about her bubbly personality & her telling me that I CAN do it that I look forward to every day. On my bad days, I swear, I miss her! LOL Hang in there! Any time you need support, please feel free to message me. & don't think that you're whining or complaining - I always feel better if I can vent to someone who actually does understand!

Thanks again, Joyce....yeah, heat packs have been a permanent attachment on my body as of late. I do appreciate your invitation to message you; I was just thinking about that rather than posting here on this public forum. I would love to message you from time to time when things might get rough. It's not every day you run into a fellow Cathlete with fibro! Thank you for your supportive answers. It certainly helps! Be in touch:D

Let me start by saying I don't have fibromyalgia, and I don't know anything about it, but when I was researching quercetin ascorbate, a supplement that my naturopathic doctor wanted me to take for other reasons, I kept seeing over and over again that it can help with fibromyalgia. It reduces inflammation. I just thought I would pass that on.

Good luck!

I found this interesting reading. I do not have it but I have a friend that does. She is on disability and I admit that many times I find it hard to understand what she is going thru. Thank you for sharing your experiences. It really helps me to understand better what she is experiencing. It gave me a new perspective on the illness. Wishing you all the best to find some long lasting relief.

Sherry,

My best friend has this condition. She also discovered that she has several true dietary allergies so you probably want to be tested for the obvious ones (its supposed to be a simple test.) such as wheat, dairy, eggs, corn and soy. Her fibro symptoms were made worse/exacerbated by the allergens.

I hope you feel better soon, hugs!

Alisha

Getting into water is very therapeutic for me. Since I moved to Phoenix I can now swim year round, also get in the hot tub in winter, and it has made a HUGE difference in my fibro symptoms. Also I eliminated gluten from my diet and have noticed further improvement. I can now workout 5 days a week for one hour. I can only do STS twice instead of 3 times a week-thats all my muscles can take-but it has really transformed my body and increased my strength dramatically. Way better than Cathe's other weight DVDs, and I have all of them! Especially my back strength. I no longer have that chronic back pain!
You have to experiment around with your flares. I found that I didn't hurt any worse working out during a flare than I did just sitting around with the pain. All resting did was get me deconditioned. So, you can hurt and lot and exericise or hurt a lot and sit on the couch. I choose to exercise. That said, when I lived in Kansas (colder) I know I was in a lot more pain and it didn't seem like I could possibly exercise during a flare.
I too find the foam roller invaluable for massaging those sore areas and trigger points, especially the butt area and piriformis muscle. I have the Keli Roberts DVD "flexibility for the inflexible" and do that at least once a week.
I take amitriptyline (very cheap generic). It treats fibro pain, my neuropathy pain, my migraine headaches, depression and my sleep disorder. All in one cheap little pill. Give it a try! I swear by it.
I hope you feel better soon-take good care of yourself!
Beth

Sherry,

My best friend has this condition. She also discovered that she has several true dietary allergies so you probably want to be tested for the obvious ones (its supposed to be a simple test.) such as wheat, dairy, eggs, corn and soy. Her fibro symptoms were made worse/exacerbated by the allergens.

I hope you feel better soon, hugs!

Alisha

I've also read that diet sodas are a common trigger & artificial sweeteners in general are really bad for this condition, including those that are allegedly "safe" according to the FDA (aspertame, splenda, equal, nutrasweet, etc.)

Avoiding HFSC is also a good idea.

Sherry, sorry I don't have any knowledge on this subject but wanted you to know that I think it's wonderful you are trying your best to do WHAT you can at certain times...many would prob just give up. I hope and pray that you find some treatments, meds, stretches or anything to help alleviate the pain and symptoms. Hugs!!!

OMG....I love you guys!!!!!

I logged onto the forum today after having a bit of a rough day to see ALL of your thoughtful responses! I swear, it almost brought me to tears. (I think that's part of the flare thing:eek:) Alisha, Beth, Joan Amy, Phyllis, and of course sweet Debbie, you guys are awesome! Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I have been finding that I can work out for about an hour a day with not too many ill effects. Yes, the options are hurt without working out or hurt with, and at least I feel like I've accomplised something after working out. Stretching late in the afternoon seems to be more beneficial than right after my w/o for some reason. Amitryptaline sounds like an intersting option, and I will check out the allergy thing as well. This, too, shall pass, and in the meantime, thanks again, my Cathlete buddies....you guys ROCK!!!:D:D:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.