FDA approving GMO salmon. Please read. It impacts everyone!

BAM

Cathlete
I am so angry and this entire country should be as well to prompt the discontinuation of GMO foods. A tomato, carrot, potato, apple, pear, etc., now salmon and so many other foods are being genetically modified so that suppliers can maintain freshness thereby selling more of their products thereby putting more money in their pockets. This isn't even touching what's being done and has been done to our grain supply. The effects of eating these foods on the body is devastating. I'm so angry that I needed to post this before finding all the links regarding what those effects are. There was one article that stated that a group of mice were only fed GMO foods and one of them grew an extra ear on its face. WHAT?????? :mad: This is bad, bad, bad and it needs to be stopped. The FDA only cares about money, money, money - not what is truly best for individual health. What they don't understand is that it impacts them, their families and their descendants. Because more and more people are realizing all the effects of drugs, and poor diets, thus taking more control over their own health, thus reducing potential revenue for the pharmaceutical and medical industry, another way had to be invented to create illness so that these industries continue to thrive (billions and billions and billions of dollars aren't enough, you see.) Most of the foods are not even labeled as GMO so you don't even have a choice as to what you're getting. Real foods don't even taste real anymore. Oh yeah, that's because they're not! :mad:

I could rant more and more but then I'd never stop. Here's a link to the salmon article. Thanks for listening.

Would you eat biotech fish? FDA approves genetically engineered salmon

Bam

I understand your concern. I studied GMOs in Biology. It creeped me out. There are pros and cons but long term affects are unknown. My problem with it is the consumer can't make an informed decision like they can with organic food. Organic food is labeled, why not gmo? There was a website called justlabelit, not sure if it was a .org or .net, that was advocating a label be required.
My textbook specified percentages of staple food that is gmo. I haven't eaten soy since. Not bc it's gmo but bc it is resistant to herbicide so farmers spay as much as they want and the chemicals wash into the water supply and who knows how many toxins the plant absorbs.

This is the very reason why I am trying to go vegetarian. I've already gone totally organic. Like the saying goes, "you are what you eat." God knows what that is going to mean in the coming years.

BAM, most people have no clue what is going on with our food supply. And if you told them, they wouldn't believe you.

Yet, another reason I eat only organic vegetarian food. Most healthy things you buy in the health food store aren't FDA approved, but alot of the food that's gonna kill us is.:confused::mad::mad::mad:

I want to eat only organic (even organic now isn't the same as it was years ago because of all the pollutants in the air which end up in the soil) but I just can't afford to so I just buy what I can. There has been evidence for many, many years as to the effects of pesticides, man made foods and now GMO's on the human body. I grew up knowing about this forty years ago and I never thought it would get this bad. More and more people need to be told about what is going on. In fact, I'm going to print out some articles to have with me so I can hand them out to people. We need to get collectively angry and do something about it. If we all do one small thing, we can make a difference.

Here are a few articles if you want to learn more.

Bam

Side effects of GMOs - Ask your doctor if CANCER is right for you

19 Studies Link GMO Foods to Organ Disruption

Monsanto is Using GMO Foods to Destroy Our Health

The idea of GMOs creeps me out too. :mad: I became aware of GMOs ten years ago when I researched the subject for a presentation for a college class debate. I was stunned that Prop 37 legislation was not a winner this past November. Big Agra made sure of that by channeling loads of funds into the political campaigns of those who would fight for THEM. :rolleyes: And yes, you are correct about pollutants being airborne and contaminating soil through cross-pollination, water run-off, etc. This is a BIG, big (and scary) issue we face. The best we can do right now is to be aware, and buy as much organic as we are able. This is fine when we are preparing meals at home; however, social situations do present their challenges. Sometimes, I think I am too obsessive about food and nutrition :eek:, but food is the fuel that drives this human machine! I am positively stunned at the long lines I continue to see in the McDonald's drive-thru everyday. People still eat THAT??!!! :eek:

I try to tell family and friends all the time about these types of things and they just look at me like I'm a crazy health nut and they make comments like " If it's so bad why would they approve it":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle!

This is the very reason why I am trying to go vegetarian. I've already gone totally organic. Like the saying goes, "you are what you eat." God knows what that is going to mean in the coming years.

You are exactly right. The majority of the toxins are lipid soluble so they are stored in the fatty tissues of the organism. The cow eats the grass that is already toxic. Then we eat the hamburger and get the full sum of all the toxins that cow has ingested. It's called bio magnification. To top it off breast milk is the most hazardous bc the baby gets the higher dose bc the mother burns fat to produce milk. So we really are what we eat. Google perchlorate. One study went clear to an Inuit village as far away from civilization as one can get. The breast milk that was tested there was declared hazardous bc it had mercury, pcb, lead, and perchlorate. Another study in CA discovered jet fuel in cow's milk. The authorities responded by saying the amount was below the legal limit.

The more I'm learning shows me that I need to be strictly vegan. I read a book called The China Study in my nutrition class and I dropped meat immediately. My nutrition textbook also said that the main cause of cancer and heart disease is diet.
I could go on and on but I'll stop here.

The more I'm learning shows me that I need to be strictly vegan. I read a book called The China Study in my nutrition class and I dropped meat immediately. My nutrition textbook also said that the main cause of cancer and heart disease is diet.

I agree that we are what we eat and I have no doubt that diet is key to heart disease and cancer prevention. However, vegan does not mean immunity from GMOs. Corn, soy, tomatoes, potatoes, papaya, zucchini, and squash are just some GMO crops. When shopping for vegetables, it is important to purchase organically grown.

I agree that we are what we eat and I have no doubt that diet is key to heart disease and cancer prevention. However, vegan does not mean immunity from GMOs. Corn, soy, tomatoes, potatoes, papaya, zucchini, and squash are just some GMO crops. When shopping for vegetables, it is important to purchase organically grown.

Yes, I agree. And buy foods that are locally and seasonally grown as much as possible.

I don't agree totally with a vegan diet. I know too many friends and family memebers that are vegan or vegetarian and they have high cholesterol or find themselves heading towards diabetes. Now, I do know they have changed some of that around by including some form of meat protein like eggs or fish.

I just had this GMO argument with my MIL last night. She is completely brainwashed and believes that these studies are far fetched. She even got into an argument over Monsanto's practices on Facebook with her sister. My MIL doesn't believe anything about Monsanto or doesnt care about GMO products and called her sister crazy. Then, my MIL defriended her own sister.:confused:

After becoming educated on the practices of Monsanto and all the GMO stuff, my husband and I started a garden last spring. It was 30'x30' with a drip system and we had so much food my mom had teach me how to can. So we have our own home grown veggies and melons. I hope to expand next year and do things a little different. I made several mistakes due to ignorance. Hope next year to have a more plentiful garden. I also learned new ways to keep the garden low maintenance so it wasn't time consuming as one might think.
After having my garden fresh carrots I can't stand store bought.
I know that there are so many things tainted like the list of crops already mentioned that its almost impossible to get away from it.

I don't agree totally with a vegan diet. I know too many friends and family memebers that are vegan or vegetarian and they have high cholesterol or find themselves heading towards diabetes. Now, I do know they have changed some of that around by including some form of meat protein like eggs or fish.

I just had this GMO argument with my MIL last night. She is completely brainwashed and believes that these studies are far fetched. She even got into an argument over Monsanto's practices on Facebook with her sister. My MIL doesn't believe anything about Monsanto or doesnt care about GMO products and called her sister crazy. Then, my MIL defriended her own sister.:confused:
There is no one-size-fits-all diet. To each their own. I went vegan this year and much prefer it. I have no health issues, nor am I on any medication. Amen.

That is too much that your MIL unfriended her sister over this. Wow.

I don't have any shade close to a green thumb but would love to have a garden......better yet, have someone tend garden for me! :D:p I really would like to eat as pure as possible and doing little steps at a time gets me closer to my goal.

I've been pretty blessed in my life in that I rarely have had associations with people who are very narrow minded or maybe I just innately avoided getting into deep conversations with them. However, unfortunately there are very myopic viewpoints out there and it's always best to not try to convince them of anything as it is a losing battle. What I find as a common theme, any information that may threaten someone's long lived lifestyle will be greatly challenged. So many people do not want to put the effort into making any change that "they" don't feel is an imminent threat and even if they do, it can be met with resistance. Having to make changes when the initiative is not coming from them is not deemed necessary. Ignorance is truly a form of protection as it threatens their comfort zone. Thankfully there are enough people out there who actually are interested in the impact of what is happening to our daily existence.

Bam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.