Favorite Tear Jerker

lesliemarie

Cathlete
I was wondering what everyone's Favorite Tear Jerker is, as my hubby calls them movies ( Chic Flicks ) I recently watched " A Walk to Remember" that was awesome but I also loved " I am Sam " and yes my hubby watched it with me and he won't admit it but he cried!!! LOL I still tease him about it LOL

My all time favorite is "Beaches" with Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey, but my most recent one is "I am Sam" with Sean Penn.

I have read and love Nicholas Sparks' books so I can't help but hate the movies that were made, with the exception of "A Walk to Remember". It irks me when they change events and the personality of characters like they did in "Message in a Bottle". While everyone was crying in the movie theater I was laughing my butt off. I guess it is like people say, the movies are never like the book. The only exception I have came across is "Gone With the Wind", the movie follows the book almost to a T.

I don’t know if you’d consider these chick flicks (some of them are), but these are the movies that make me cry every time I watch them (and sometimes that means multiple viewings):

Schindler’s List
Requiem For A Dream
Dancer In The Dark
Kramer Vs. Kramer
When A Man Loves A Woman
City Lights
Dogfight
Hoop Dreams
The Pianist
Rabbit Proof Fence
Heavenly Creatures
Straight Story
Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story
Magnolia
What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

There’s a ton more, but that’s all I can think of right now.

That is why I never watch a Mary Higgens Clark movie! Love the books but hate the movies those are NEVER to the book LOL. I love Beaches also and I must admit I also Love Steel Magnolias.

I'm a hopeless romantic ... "Ever After" and "You've Got Mail" will reduce me to a sniveling mess of Kleenex and runny mascara every single time! So will the end scene in "Never Been Kissed" when she finally is, in front of the whole crowd at the stadium! I also cry like a fool every time I watch "Titanic" at the end when she is dead and "sees" all the people who died on the ship, and there is Jack, waiting for her. Of course, I also cry at the end of Disney's "Beauty and the Beast", when the beast turns back into the Prince! LOL!! You can imagine what watching a movie with me is like!!

Carol
:)

I have to second both Beaches and Schindler's List.

I'd also include:
Sophie's Choice
Dad (was in near hysterics when I saw this on the plane to visit my parents one year).
Bambi (still get choked up when the Mom dies)
Ghost
Out of Africa

I know there are others that will dawn on me later! Edited to add: I also saw this video of a one man play where this man (who used to be on CHIPS) talks about going through cancer with his wife and her eventual death. It was amazing and yet so sad and tragic. I sobbed openly and uncontrollably through this, as did the rest of the people in my class (it was part of my grad school curriculum). Even the men were completely reduced. I hope that if I ever have to go through cancer with someone I love that I will handle it with as much grace and courage. Even thinking about it now brings tears to my eyes.

Brian's song. Old made for tv movie. True story about Brian Piccallo (sp?) and Gayle Sayers. This one is guaranteed to make the boys cry too.

-joy

Amen to When Man Loves a Woman
Rabbit Proof Fence (actually the DVD extras made me cry more than the movie itself).
Wit
Legends of the Fall (Julia Ormond is a great cryer :))
The Hours

Shonie

For me it's probably "The Green Mile, Rudy, Brian's Song and others I can't remember right now. I don't get to see too many chick flicks cuz I live with a bunch of guy-guys. I also have 4 brothers and no sisters so I'm a little warped in the shoot-em-up direction. Heck, when I was a kid, my favorite show was "Combat!" Cheryl

"House of Mirth", by Edith Wharton, book and film version with Gillian Anderson,

"Truly Madly Deeply," film with Juliet Stevenson and Alan Rickman

"After all," song by Dar Williams

Any and all of the above will do it for me.

Oh and a too, too sad book I read in May, called "After you'd gone" by Maggie O'Farrell.

Sigh.....

Clare

Love Story!

Also, (though the movie is not a chic flick) I always get a tear in my eye at the end of Shawshank Redemption when Andy and Red reunite.

When I was a child I would always cry when Tiny Tim would hobble out in the Disney version of A Christmas Carol.

Not quite a 'chic flick' but...

My favorite tear jerker is 'The Perfect Storm'. I saw the 60min special on the Discovery channel one night (before I actually saw the film), and before I saw that special I had no clue it was a true story. I tell you, the open credits of the film is so somber and just knowing what is going to happen had me crying from beginning to end.

Another tear jerker for me (and this one is a little embarrassing)is...gulp...'Babe'. I LOVE that movie. The first time I watched this film, I was in tears from the very beginning when Babe said good bye to his mom, to about 30min after the film. Oh my goodness, can we say 'eyes swollen shut' the next morning. :+

I have to admit I cry at most anything!!! Long distance telephone commercials.... well movies...

Field of Dreams ( when he asks his Dad to play catch!)
Sophie's choice
Ordinary People ( I would yell at Mary Tyler Moore)
Steel Magnolias
those Hallmark tv movies
Brian's Song
Homeward Bound (? ?)(when the old dog finally makes it home)
plus so many others...

Jen

I second Steel Magnolias... but then they do such an amazing job and making you laugh your butt off immediately after the tear-jerking scene. That's just a fantastic movie all around!

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, mostly because I am so in love with Johnny... and know I'll never have him :(.

My Girl. The first one, not the second. It was SO sad!!!! I'd have to say that this one gets me the most.

Yes, definitely Bambi. As a matter of fact, I was so scarred from it when I was little, that I haven't watched it since I was 6 or 7. I literally had nightmares over it. Now, Child's Play in the 3rd grade had absolutely no negative effect on me, but Bambi screwed me up for life.

Armaggedon... one of the funniest/saddest movies. The scene with Liv Tyler and Bruce Willis definitely manages to summon the tears.

Forrest Gump. The end is so sweet and yet devastating. I love that movie.

Titanic had absolutely NO effect on me whatsoever. I remember going to the theater for the first time with friends who were there for the 4th time! They cried like babies, and I was truly, completely unaffected. And I love Leo!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.