Favorite scary movies

Great thread

I'm into the Frankenstien, Dracula, and Wolfman varieties....monsters, vampires and werewolves. Good ones, though. I can't really enjoy the B versions.
I like my monsters scary! :eek: Love good graphics :)

The original Psycho was off the chain. I was a kid when I saw that. Scared me and my brothers for a long time.

Does anyone remember the Big Show, the after school movies...I Was a Teenage Werewolf, The Neanderthal Man, etc?
Man, those were the days. I sure wish someone would do another Dark Shadows series, but better than the attempt that was made with Ben Cross.

The slashers...I can't do those. They make me too nervous to be outside/alone at night :D

Kim, Tim Burton is making a Dark Shadows movie coming out next year. I can't wait to see what he does with it. LOVE me some Tim Burton ;)

Ebony, can't wait for the Walking Dead either! It's supposed to be really good. Frank Darabont is producing/directing it (he did Shawshank Redemption & Green Mile) so it should be awesome! It was actually an old graphic novel series.

"Scary" movies don't scare me anymore, but I really enjoyed Paranormal Activity last year. It didn't scare me, but I thought it was fun. What I REALLY found fun about it was the ding-bat behind me who thought it was a true story and they were a real couple filming stuff in their house. At one point he says, "that's not real". Really, dude? Looking forward to seeing the new one.

I loved Zombieland, but zombies just make me laugh. I really don't care for movies that go for the gore factor. I definitely found Psycho scarier than anything like Friday the 13th.

I don't do gruesome, but I love a good haunting movie. I really liked the shining too. I like the original amityville horror. But anything involving dismembering or torturing is something I won't watch or even talk about lol

I don't do gruesome, but I love a good haunting movie. I really liked the shining too. I like the original amityville horror. But anything involving dismembering or torturing is something I won't watch or even talk about lol

ITA! SCAREY is ok, by blood guts and torture don't sit well with me either. Unfortunately it's very hard for me to know what will be "safe" for me to watch these days so I usually avoid everything.... :(

I know this isn't horror exactly, but Silence of the Lambs scares me so badly I can't watch it.

I like the originals also - Frankenstein, The Mummy, Dracula.
I have to say I have a soft spot for the Frank Langella version of Dracula, though...I must be showing my age.:D

I really don't like slasher movies. They seem cheesy to me and not scary at all.

I recently watched Paranormal Activity and that movie creeped me out!

I know this isn't horror exactly, but Silence of the Lambs scares me so badly I can't watch it.

I like the originals also - Frankenstein, The Mummy, Dracula.
I have to say I have a soft spot for the Frank Langella version of Dracula, though...I must be showing my age.:D

I forgot about Silence of the Lambs, that was soooooo scary!!!:eek:

Has anyone mentioned the Descent yet??? That movie scared the crap out of me on so many levels. I loved it though. Also love the old classics - Dracula, Wolf Man, Frankenstein. As a kid, I loved Halloween, Poltergeist, and the original Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th. One of my favorites now is the Orphanage (I cannot say enough about this movie - it has subtitles, but I got past that). Oh, and for zombie movies, you can't beat 28 Days Later. LOVE that movie!!!

Lisa - I totally remember the "Watcher in the Woods"!!! We rented it when I was a little kid and it scarred me for life. Still don't understand what in the heck happened in it!

Last edited:
I totally forgot of the Decent, that movie scared the crap out of me too. So much so, I don't want to see it again, lol. Other recent ones like that for me are Hills Have Eyes and Open Water. I want to see the Last Door on the Left but am a bit scared of that "one" scene that people have said is pretty graphic and real.

I watched The Birds last night and I think what makes that movie so creepy is the fact that there is no music and the fact that the birds are just watching and waiting. I also forgot how beautiful Tippi was.

I totally forgot of the Decent, that movie scared the crap out of me too. So much so, I don't want to see it again, lol. Other recent ones like that for me are Hills Have Eyes and Open Water. I want to see the Last Door on the Left but am a bit scared of that "one" scene that people have said is pretty graphic and real.

I watched The Birds last night and I think what makes that movie so creepy is the fact that there is no music and the fact that the birds are just watching and waiting. I also forgot how beautiful Tippi was.

Yes, I love The Birds. It is subtle scary. Every time I watch it, I want Tippi's purse.
Melissa

Silence of the Lambs. Both Anthony and Wild Bill are so creepy.

Halloween will always be the King. I saw that one at 17, and will never be able to look at a white mask again with out wanting to run like hell.

Alien was the same summer, and was equally scary in a whole new "baby monster wants out" kind of way.

Anyone ever see Ghost Story with Fred Astaire, Lawrence Olivier, etc? They are all haunted by a woman they accidently killed years before. Yikes.

The kid in the Omen with that evil grin...and when they found the 666 in his hair. OMG

Predator for some reason...the thought of not being able to see what was attacking really got me.

Excorcist. I doubt I could sit through the whole thing now. Devil, Satin, posession, etc. Scary stuff

Happy Halloween all.

Did you mean Last House on the left? I LOVE scary movies, I HATED that movie. It wasn't really scary so much as just really disturbing and gruesome. I don't even know why I watched the whole thing, it really really disturbed me. I would not recommend that movie to anyone!

Pam

Did you mean Last House on the left? I LOVE scary movies, I HATED that movie. It wasn't really scary so much as just really disturbing and gruesome. I don't even know why I watched the whole thing, it really really disturbed me. I would not recommend that movie to anyone!

Pam

Yes Last House, not door?? lol. Okay, note taken.

Some movies like that I need to watch something funny right after no matter what. The last movie I remember being very disturbed by was Running Scared with Paul Walker. When those child kidnappers came out of nowhere I was sick and shocked. I think I needed to watch over 2 hours of comedy just to get to bed.

Last edited:
Movies that will always scare the bezeejus outta me:

The Exorcist (director's cut) (still terrifying after all these years)

The Blair Witch Project (will never go into the woods again)

The Grudge (saw the American version; couldn't sleep for weeks)

Paranormal Activity (lost control of the ol' sphincter muscle in the last scene)

And . . .

VACANCY (with Luke Wilson and Kate Beckinsale; this was so frightening I couldn't finish watching it; DH did and told me I was right to bow out when I did).

HAPPY HAUNTING, PEEPS!!!

A-Jock

Scarey movies are getting more sick, more twisted, more disturbing and more gruesome as each movie is created. It turns my stomach and really bothers me....*shudder* .
ITA!
I like scary movies that are 'thrillers,' not 'gore-fests'.
It seems like with most serial scary movies, there's an ever-escalating gore factor (ie: the original "Nightmare on Elm Street" was scary and creepy, with some blood, but not really much gore. Some of the sequels got more into the gore.).

And some of 'horror' movies nowdays are stomach turning more than frightening (I want the hair on the back of my neck to stand up--like when I watched the girl crawl out of the TV in "The Ring"--even though I had nightmares about it afterwards!--not the sick-to-my stomach, disgusted feeling I had after watching "Hostel". I can't believe there was a sequel to that drek!)

I did like the original "Saw": a bit gory (outdone by it's sequels, though: what is it up to, 7?!), but a plot and some thought behind it, with a few surprises (like a character you thought would make it through to the end being killed).

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.