Favorite Instructors Besides Cathe?

After many years of trying different instructors, seems I ALWAYS return to Cathe! I started out with The Firm in the 80's, then discovered Cathe. I have temporarily used other workouts, i.e. The Beast, P90X, etc. but seem to always come back into the fold;) In my estimation, no one comes to close to Cathe!!!!:D

He is very advanced in my book :) His workouts reminds me of Shaun:) Glad you like them.

Yay!! Excellent suggestions here. I'm really liking youtube's Millionaire Hoy workouts. Not sure if they would be advanced enough for some hard core peeps here however.
;)

Elsie, have you tried Millionaire Hoy's more recent workouts? He's come a long way since he first started posting videos. I agree with bayerngirl -- to me, they are killer workouts (much harder than Cathe), very creative and fun. But, they are very high impact and not all that balanced (unlike Cathe). Still, when I want a sweaty and intense workout, they definitely fit the bill for me.

Last edited:
Are any of the above mentioned favorites low impact? I need more low impact for all of my arthritic issues.

Check out Kelly Coffey Meyer's offerings. I recently fractured my ankle and have still found many of her workouts doable, particularly the boxing-based workouts which give a great cardio factor from UB punches. Some of my favorites also include lower body toning (which I couldn't do mostly due to the ankle but would hopefully be OK for your particular arthritis concerns). A short KCM low impact workout list off the top of my head:

Train Like a Contender (aka TLC)
Trim Down
Circuit Burn (I believe has a low impact modifier)
Total Body Kickbox (easy to make it low impact during the jumping sections)

Strap on your 1lb weighted gloves and prepare to get a good sweat on! :)

Lisa

Elsie, have you tried Millionaire Hoy's more recent workouts? He's come a long way since he first started posting videos. I agree with bayerngirl -- to me, they are killer workouts (much harder than Cathe), very creative and fun. But, they are very high impact and not all that balanced (unlike Cathe). Still, when I want a sweaty and intense workout, they definitely fit the bill for me.

Yeah, that's my only issue with his videos as well is that I wish they were more balanced. They are fun though and energizing. Oh, and Free! ; )

Yeah, that's my only issue with his videos as well is that I wish they were more balanced. They are fun though and energizing. Oh, and Free! ; )

Yes, that's what makes him so amazing to me! He's so generous and dedicated to helping others get more fit.

I have so many workouts! I have all of Cathe's except her ab compilation one. I have almost all of Kelly Coffey's and return to her a lot (I want her two new ones) , I have most of Amy Bento and still like hers, I return to Les Mills Pump and Les Mills Combat quite a lot. Chalene's workouts. Some of those I like better than others though. These seem to be my favorites but I do have a lot of others that I like a lot. Sharon Twombly Step Jam, and her Zero to Sixty Low Impact are both good. I have a lot of Tracey Staehle that I like a lot, Body Beast for Weights, I like all of the Susan Chung Workouts. There are many on my shelves and in my holders though. I guess it depends on what type of workout I am wanting to do too.

Elsie: Sorry, I can't see the embedded video. What is the title of the workout?

Silent but deadly 40 min low impact legs and tabata booty. : )

(for some reason his no dumbbell in the corner modifier was mostly off in this video. I find it does not negatively impact it overall)

Silent but deadly 40 min low impact legs and tabata booty. : )

(for some reason his no dumbbell in the corner modifier was mostly off in this video. I find it does not negatively impact it overall)

Oh yes, I did that one! I love his glute-focused workouts. I think I've done every single video that he's produced for the past 3 series (Subscriber's Choice, Geek, and Low Impact). Mil Hoy is the bomb!!

thaispice,
whoa, that's impressive. Congrats on your accomplishment! : ) I noticed he often does programs that include two pretty intense workouts each day. I dunno ....that's a little too much for me. lol.
I really, really love how encouraging and positive he is. He is also intense without being irritating. I am presently getting back into a fitness regimen and I appreciate that as I work out on my own all of the time. I would like if he included more read deltoid work though. He practically ignores it from what I can tell.

thaispice,
whoa, that's impressive. Congrats on your accomplishment! : ) I noticed he often does programs that include two pretty intense workouts each day. I dunno ....that's a little too much for me. lol.
I really, really love how encouraging and positive he is. He is also intense without being irritating. I am presently getting back into a fitness regimen and I appreciate that as I work out on my own all of the time. I would like if he included more read deltoid work though. He practically ignores it from what I can tell.

Thanks, Elsie! I don't know how much longer I can keep the streak going because I do think his workouts take a toll on my body, but I feel so accomplished afterwards that it's become kind of an addiction. :eek: Re deltoid work, he does do lawnmowers and rear flies. ;) But I do think he could balance things out a bit in terms of intensity. The problem is that he's 31 (he just turned 31 last month!) and his body can take it, while mine can't! Yet I feel compelled to try and keep up as best as I can...

Did you see his new series starting tomorrow? It's called "30 Min. Sweat Circuit" and I'm sure it's going to have lots of plyo. I'm really going to be in trouble now!

All the comments about Michelle Dozois being a favorite are right on! This is concerning all her Peak 10 workouts whichc are advanced and challenging.

Not as challenging, but still good is Kelly Coffey-Meyer.

I tried Michelle D for the first time today. Peak 10 cardio strength. Very effective - sweating and liked how it worked my shoulders and back. I had to modify due to an aggravated knee (hopes and such), but she's an animal! I mean that in the best possible way! ; ) Definitely will try some more of hers. So happy so many of you here mentioned her. Thank you.

Elsie, I LOVE Michelle Dozois!! It can be difficult to try new instructors sometimes, when your soooo used to a certain instructor!! That's why I rely so heavily on reviews. I have a handful of Michelle's Peak 10 workouts (I never bought the whole set). I look forward to doing them because I know I'll get a really decent cardio or cardio/weights wkout!

Tried out Paul Katami ASAP Sculpt this morning. While it isn't advanced (he shows a couple of times how to advance it with plyo), it's such a thorough workout, sweat producing and time passes quite quickly. I also thought the chest work was really good. Plus, this is my 1st workout with Katami and I have to say that I really, really like HIM. He's great, motivating enough and not irritating or too "pumped up". lol.
I only have a 8.5 lb med ball here now and honestly, it was too much for me. I would rec a bit lighter for his standing core work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.