Fad Diets and Factoids--Where They Come From

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-02 AT 11:43AM (Est)[/font][p]Maribeth,

Thanks so much for posting such well-written info! I appreciate it b/c it resonates with what I learned about nutrition (i'm in vet school so i had my share of biochemistry and nutrition in my undergrad education), but you explain it very well. I've been trying to tell people that the main thing is calories in vs. calories out but they never believe me. Now i'm armed with knowledge! Thanks.

My question is about nutrition labels. You and Keta have touched on it in this thread. For example, this one bar (Strive bar) has, according to the label, 190 calories, 8 g fat, 25 g carbs (no fiber, no sugar, only 22 g other carbs), 20 g protein. I have no idea where they got 190 calories from. (25x4 + 20x4 + 8x9 = 252)

What's going on with these labels? How do these alcohols act in the body and should they be counted as carbs? I would expect they'd be converted to glucose, but maybe not. I know the federal laws require labels to be within 20% of the calorie count, so I'd expect manufacturers to fudge the numbers a litte, but this is just odd.

Another odd thing is that in my animal nutrition classes where formulating diets for "food animals" was very specific, we learned that protein actually has 5.5 cal/gram, carbs have about 4.5 and fat has 9.5. Ever run across this in academic literature? Wonder why the USDA figures it with 4, 4, and 9.

Thanks for your time!
ginger

Hey, Ginger!
Thank you for your reply! I wish I had a good answer with the label thing--in the case of your Strive bar, it may be a matter of the "other" carbs including ingredients whose net absorbable calories total zero, which would account for the grams x cals/gram being quite a bit higher than the actual calorie count.

I have the same numbers as you for the actual calorie count for protein, carbs and fat. I also have ethanol listed as providing 7 calories per gram. Interesting tidbit about booze, though--apparently, it can neither be stored as fat nor can it contribute to the formation of muscle or liver glycogen. But it is considered a priority fuel, meaning calories coming from alcohol (ethanol)will be burned first--before any coming from fats, carbohydrates and protein. My text indicates that even though it can't itself be converted to fat that "It may, however, indirectly divert fat to storage by providing an alternative and preferred energy source for the body."

Did a little reviewing--the sugar alcohols are a bit of an odd thing. They are considered carbs because they are carb derivatives. I want to check a little further to see if all sugar alcohols are in the same category with ethanol (7 kcals per gram, utilized first over fat, protein and carbs). I thought that some of the sugar alcohols were considered non-nutritive sweeteners, ie, no caloric value.

I'll keep checking on this and see what more I can come up with.

Take care!
Maribeth

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-02 AT 03:39PM (Est)[/font][p]OMG! Labels drive me NUTS! And trying to navigate through the FDA's web site is torture at best.

Other carbs have been driving me absolutely nuts! I love the little labeling tricks that are played. This one is the best one. I did a piece on Nutrition bars and this is an excerpt from it.

“I need to point something out here. On the back of the Atkins Advantage bar it states the following . . . **Polydextrose and glycerine, while included in the "Calories" count, have been omitted from the "Total Carbs" count as their impact on blood sugar / insulin levels is negligible. The original carb count on the bar was reported at 2.6 grams. Ok, now that that is out of the way, let’s continue.” It actually was at 42 grams of carbs, and that’s because I hand calculated it. It may even be higher. Just a little trick and just to show how much it can be manipulated.

Thanks Maribeth, it would have taken me some time to find out that information on the FDA’s web site and it’s been harder than heck to find it in some of the other resources I have available. I never thought of going into the biochemistry on the subject. But now that’s it’s apparent to me, it’s kind of like one of those duh moments. A while ago, I used to be at that level of detail, but it’s been years since I’ve studied that. I think I need to go and get some good references. I try to stick with the most credible sources that I know of … and with all the confusing information out there, it can be difficult to find.

I’ve always thought that the diet industry does this on purpose. Why you ask … because it’s money. The more confusion there is out there, the more the public will fail and try try again. Discouragement and lack of responsibility are key things to play on to make money. And it doesn’t help that the restaurant industry wants the general public to be ignorant about cooking and foods. Again, that’s how they make their money. The more busy that you are, the less time you have for planning, cooking, and tracking … thus the fewer healthy choices that you have and the more ignorant you become. It’s just maddening.

I also love the “I’ve got to lose the weight NOW!” I’ll wake up in the morning and just change my eating habits … key word HABITS. People have been overweight or had a few extra pounds on for months or years and they expect to just wake up and change? The only thing that generates that drastic of sudden change where we must accept it is a death or something to that affect. Then there is an entire process that we have to go through to cope and deal with the loss. Yet people think that going on a diet and radically changing their eating habits overnight will bring them success? All they need is will power? What?

Ut-oh, I’m ranting too.

This is so much fun to have such an intelligent conversation with people who are just as passionate as I am about this subject.

An absolutely wonderful thread!

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

I just noticed something ...

"For example, this one bar (Strive bar) has, according to the label, 190 calories, 8 g fat, 25 g carbs (no fiber, no sugar, only 22 g other carbs), 20 g protein."

Where did the other 3 grams of carbs go? Was that a typo?

Thanks.

Could be a typo, could be that three of the 25 grams are in the form of glycerine/glycerol--a common substance found in nutrition bars that has only recently been considered a carb.

I have to check out the USDA labeling guidelines to see how this is working now. I know they list fiber separately so that the net absorbable carb calories can be calculated, and the sugar so that people trying to avoid it can see how much the food contains, which from a traditional standpoint, leaves only starches/complex carbs as "others".

I'm betting in the case of the Strive bar, it has no fiber or sugar, 22 grams of starch/complex carbs and 3 grams of glycerine. I'll check it out if there's a website for the company--inquiring minds wanna know!
Maribeth

Oh Man!

Am I the only one who's head is spinning from trying to understand all this??? Then again, it doesn't take much to confuse ME!!! I'll reread it all a few more times and then MAYBE, some of it will sink in. :7

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Oh Man!

Don't feel bad, Debbie! You should see how dizzy I was after digging through my nutrition and biochemistry texts over the weekend! :D
Maribeth

Hey, Keta!
Your key word "habits" is a key for me, too! One of the first thing I do with my training clients is to ask them to keep a record--not a complex, everything-you-put-in-your-mouth food journal (I'm not so fond of the journals, but that's ANOTHER post in the making) but a list of their favorite and most often consumed items. Then, what I'll do is find easy, painless ways to cut calories from the foods--for example, a person who likes tons of butter on a baked potato can try Butter Buds or "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!" instead.

These little tricks can significantly reduce daily caloric consumption without leaving the person feeling deprived. They are changes that can be lifelong, as opposed to the temporary restrictions imposed by most "diets". I use them myself.

And, I think you're right about it being VERY financially motivated as far as revealing the simple truth about losing body fat--the diet industry wants everybody to think they have the one answer that will solve all their problems. It's simply a matter of regular exercise and burning more than you consume.

Ain't it fun, though?! :D
Maribeth

RE: Oh Man!

I love this conversation!!!!!!!!!! I kid you not, I'm so geeked! I'm going to get some new references. I have thoroughly enjoyed this conversation to the hilt!

I just wrote a piece on advertising and how it contributes to our confusion on this subject in order to sell their product.

Thank you so much Maribeth!

I may post it here. I'm not sure yet.

Hi, Vonnie!
I remember hearing something about coffee and insulin, but can't recall the specifics, nor have I seen anything other than that one isolated bit.

Caffeine is actually an ergogenic aid which increases the use of fat during exercise. Now, that doesn't mean to go out and consume huge quantities of it, but it does have a scientifically proven benefit when it comes to fat metabolism.

My workouts include at least 4 days of weight training and at least 4 days of cardio training and 2 days of martial arts. I usually do heavy lower body work on Mondays, more endurance type lower body work on Thursdays and sometimes will do specific relative isolation exercises for lower body on Saturday. Upper body goes pretty much the same way, but on Tuesday and Thursday.

My cardio consists of some video training and some cardio machines. I'll do a step or kickboxing video or class, use the treadmill, Stairmaster, bike or elliptical trainer, depending on what mood I'm in. I don't usually do a specific cardio workout on Mondays or Thursdays--heavy leg day Monday and killer karate class on Thursdays are more than plenty for me! And, I've shortened up my cardio time to 40 minutes max, with some days being as short as 20 minutes. Resistance training gives me the best results for my exercise time.

Good luck with your training!
Maribeth

Hi Maribeth,

Thanks so much for your response.
Sounds like you have a great variety in your workout.
I guess that seems to be key.As well as the Resistance training.
Looks like I need to revamp again.
Thanks for your response and keep the good stuff coming.
We all love it.
Vonnie

Question for Maribeth

Maribeth,

I love your work and am very impressed with it. I have read myself til I am blue in the face (eyes) I know EVERY diet out there. Yet I still struggle with the last 5-10 pounds. So my question:

Could you give me an example of your workout routine and diet?

I see that you workout 4 days weight and 4 days cardio. How do you fit that all in? I can only devote 1 hour per day 5-6 days a week. This shoud be enough don't you think?

I appreciate it, Sharon

RE: Question for Maribeth

I'm not Maribeth, nor do I play her on TV, BUT I do four weight sessions and four cardios. For example, I'll do two days of lower body only weight work with no cardio, then I do a day of intense cardio like step by itself; another cardio session by itself: then 2 days a week I do upper body weights with a 30 minutes cardio session; on the seventh day I rest. I hardly ever go over an hour with my workouts.

The moral of the story is: plan, plan, plan; plan smart and work smart. Exercise does NOT have to take over your life!!!

Hey, Sharon!
I do Monday and Thursday lower body weight training, Tuesday and Friday upper body weight training, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday cardio training. I'll also usually throw in a cardio workout in on Tuesdays and Fridays, but my Friday cardio day will definitely be a short one since I have karate on Tuesday and Thursday nights and Thursday nights are killers, especially on top of my leg workout.

If you work intensely enough, most definitely an hour per day 5-6 days per week is enough. I would suggest devoting a full hour twice a week to lower body only and spending 40 minutes twice a week on upper body followed by a twenty minute intense cardio workout and having one day be an extended cardio session. Stretch the worked body parts after your weight sessions and toss in a total body stretch on the extended cardio day. I would also do ab training on 4 of the 5 days (can elaborate as to why if anyone's interested).

I don't follow any diets. I shoot for about .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight, which is more than the RDA, but IMHO, the RDA is too low for active people--several reputable sources are recommending more for athletic populations. I try to get as much fiber as possible by eating whole grain products and high fiber veggies. But I have sweets every day of the year--sweets, nor any other foods are bad for you--they are simply sources of energy--I just don't eat unlimited quantities of them.

Good luck with your program and take care!
Maribeth

Another question for Maribeth

Maribeth,

Thanks for all that great info...what to eat, when to eat, how much to eat, what to avoid, etc. is all so confusing. The information you've presented has helped me to see all of this much more clearly. My question is, what is your take on the whole food-combining thing, like Somersizing which says don't eat carbs with proteins/fats and eat fruit alone after a certain amount of time, etc? In your opinion, is there any merit in that kind of eating plan? Thanks! Malissa

Thank you so much Maribeth and Honeybunch!!!

I was looking for a formula. Now I can plug in tapes and activities.

Maribeth, I would like to know about the ab thing you mentioned. (you are soooo smart!!!)

Thanks for sharing your info.

Sharon

RE: Another question for Maribeth

Somersizing has some twisted logic to it, but it is very twisted. There is no reason to not consume carbs and protein together as long as you don't fill up on the carbs to the point that you consume too little of the protein to meet your daily needs. And, if the carbs are of the high fiber variety, the fiber will help absorb excess fat in the colon before it has a chance to be absorbed by your body, passing it out in the feces. This is the reason oat bran is recommended to help lower cholesterol levels.

There are some foods that will interfere with vitamin and mineral absorption, but I don't think that the Somersize program is looking at this. If I remember correctly, it is all based on the thinking that combining foods makes you store more fat. Again, regardless of the combos, if the calories in don't exceed the calories out, this is flawed thinking.

Glad you are finding this stuff helpful! It helps me to write it, too! :)

Maribeth

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-02 AT 04:10PM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-02 AT 04:09 PM (Est)[/font]

Hi Maribeth...
You seem to have all the answers...so hoping you can help me...
I am looking for a protein alternative eg. protein powder for shakes....but one that is low in carbs...any suggestions?
Most foods that are high in protein..eg tuna, yogurt, etc...I hate.....
I love chicken but there is only so much chicken i can eat before I start to grow feathers myself!!!!
Thanks for all your knowledge..I have learned alot from reading your posts!!!
Jenn

Jenn,
I only wish I had all the answers!! The more I learn, the more I realize there is to know!

I, too, am a person who protein supplements because I just don't like high protein foods all that much. And, I am a terrible cook, so if I'm to get the nutrients I need, I have to get them somewhere. I use a drink called Isopure from Nature's Best. It has 40 grams of protein per drink, comes in a 0 carb form (I eat plenty of carbs, so I don't need the extra calories), and tastes ok. I drink about half a bottle in the morning along with my cereal in the morning. On an empty stomach, the protein and water only gives me a terrible stomach ache.

If my other meals are lacking in protein, I'll have several more shots of the Isopure with my meals and/or snacks throughout the day. Since I weigh 150 lbs and am involved in a regular heavy duty strength training regimen, I shoot for (don't always get) about 100 grams of protein per day.

I find when I get right around this amount, I don't tend to have cravings.

Hope this is helpful!
Maribeth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.