Facebook Question

Can anyone explain why Facebook suggestions certain friends? I'm talking about on the right side of your FB screen, not the emails you get from friends suggesting other friends.

It's kinda creeping me out, actually. I keep seeing a couple of people who aren't linked to any of my friends or the city, town, university I'm from. It's very strange. These are people I meet years ago and were only in my life for a year or so.

Could it be that they have been looking at my profile? I'm confused!!

I have been wondering that myself....most of these "suggestions" are friends of other FB friends...but one I see in particular is not friends with any of my friends and I wonder why he keeps popping up as a "suggestion."

One person that FB keeps "suggesting" is someone that I would rather never talk to or see again. Long story.. but let's just say that this person no longer fits into my way of life.

I think they are friends of friends or people that you have an email address for (or they have your email address). Anyway, click on the little x to the side of the suggestion to make those annoying people dissappear forever. I wish it was that easy in real life too! :D

Now that makes sense that they would still have my email or have an email of a friend who was friends with both of us (if that makes sense).

Lol about the comment about that working in real life. We could only wish!

On the good side, if you have someone popping up as a suggested friend, they can't see any of your profile unless you accept or send a friend request. You control what info on your profile is accessible to your friends.

Tricia

This has been creeping me out lately too. It only just started a few weeks ago. I suspect in my case it suggests people I searched for but were not on Facebook at the time. One was someone we met on our last cruise. I actually added him as a friend. I confess, sometimes when I'm bored I search for all sorts of people from my past even ones I want no contact with :eek:. I guess FB remembers all this and lets you know when they sign up. I have a very unique name and have never changed it even though I've been married twice. This makes it very easy for people to find me but my privacy settings are at the max. There is one ex-BF in particular that I'm just dying to ignore!:eek:

One person that FB keeps "suggesting" is someone that I would rather never talk to or see again. Long story.. but let's just say that this person no longer fits into my way of life.

Same thing for me, I had an ex pop up on mine!! Not someoen I want back in my life - I just x'd him out! (again :rolleyes:)

i think it's a search that facebook software does on its own; it pulls info from your friends' profiles, where you live, where you work, where you went to school, etc and suggests people you might know. im guessing if you filled all this out when you set up your page, thats where the info is getting pulled from (esp if you filled out the regional info for your "network"). no need to get scared ;)

It is a bit strange. There are certainly parts, and people, of my life that I would like to forget ever happened.

Thanks for the answers. At least I'm not the only one who was curious.

DH and I noticed strange friend suggestions recently also. In some cases, I think it may suggest people that have searched for your name. I agree that it's kind of creepy and now I'm more careful about who I search for!

Erica

I think they are friends of friends or people that you have an email address for (or they have your email address). Anyway, click on the little x to the side of the suggestion to make those annoying people dissappear forever. I wish it was that easy in real life too! :D

Yup, I think that they are friends of friends. Also, if you have joined any groups, like your high school or college alumni.

They are friends of friends. I've never been suggested a friend that I've looked up and couldn't find,....that WOULD be creepy.

A word of caution though. When I first started, I allowed FB to use my e-mail address recepients to "filter thru friends". Well,......I got all sorts of strange people from that. As you can imagine,....people from eBay mostly,.....people that I don't remember ever talking with,.....but bankers, boat realtors, house realtors, job prospects,.....

In general, I love FB!!! I've found alot of old high school friends; haven't had many old flames (got married at 18),.....but that might be fun too. :D

Happy 4th to everyone!

Me too. It would be great if we could really do that.

I too have been creeped out by friend suggestions lately. It took me a few strange suggestions to put it together. I was on the dating site 'Lavalife' for a while but deleted my profile over a year ago. All of a sudden I am getting friend suggestions that are from men who had e-mailed me or whom I had e-mailed. It feels like a violation to me as it appears that lavalife has sold it's e-mail list to Facebook. It really is creepy and a 'caveat emptor' to me...I've got that 'I always feel like somebody's watching me' feeling *shudder*

Take Care
Laurie

That was one of my first comments on FB about how in the world does it know SO many people I know. None of them I had searched for yet. And I gave FB NO info about me or my email contacts. They were also from ALL over the place. Online forums, people I knew in another state and people from another city. freaky!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.