Fab books for all you avid readers! (from Clare)

maddiesmum

Cathlete
Dear all:

4 books I have loved and adored, am loving and adoring, have been amused by and could not and cannot put down recently:

1. State of Wonder by Ann Patchett.

Wow! Amazing novel: of adventure, morality, bio-ethics, relationships, community. At what cost would you pursue motherhood? What would you sacrifice for it? What lengths would you go to for it? What different shapes does motherhood take? In what circumstances would you sacrifice the child? What constitutes your personal hell?

2. When she was Good by Laura Lippman.

How does a woman who has been abused by a father and other sundry men, prostituted and deemed worthless turn it all around? How does she resist the power of her pimp psychologically? How does she save herself and her son from him, from the life, from detection by the police, from ostracism by the community and forge a new life for herself? How can a woman outsmart all the men who have ever held her down and set herself free? Meet Heloise, aka Helen: a madam in the Baltimore area trying not be get played by anyone ever again....

3. Where'd you go Bernadette? by Maria Semple

Haven't finished this one yet but I love Bernadette and her daughter Bee, trying to deal with the zealots of the local PTSO, tiresome neighbours, past failures, present fears and psychological weaknesses and the general weirdness of people in the Seattle area (according to the novel!). Somehow a lot of blackberry bushes, fishing jackets, trips to Antarctica and architecture all feature; still figuring out how. Can't put this down........ A totally off-the-wall novel, the likes of which you have never seen before....

4. Love's a Canoe by Ben Schrank

Just been published, started reading it over coffee yesterday in B&N, couldn't afford to buy it, hated to leave it behind! What makes for a successful marriage? What does a guy who published a successful self-help guide to marriage know about it anyway, especially since his wife just died, he failed in business, and has never written another word in the last 30 years? His publisher organizes a competition around his book to stimulate sales; first prize is a weekend with the author to seek help for your relationship........oh boy!

Bonanza reading time ..... enjoy!

Clare

Clare--Thanks. I'm an avid reader, as well. I echo your review of Laura Lippman's "When She Was Good." I've read all of her novels and loved them.

Some recommendations of my own:

"The Round House" and anything else by Louise Erdrich (sp?).
"Dalva" by Jim Harrison
Anything by Elizabeth George, Denise Mina, and Tana French.
"Wish You Were Here" by Stuart O'Nan ("Snow Angels" is also wonderful)
"Seating Arrangements" (can't remember the author) is great, too.

Thanks for the reviews and recommendations Clare :). There's nothing quite like getting immersed in a great read :).

Natasha

Clare--Thanks. I'm an avid reader, as well. I echo your review of Laura Lippman's "When She Was Good." I've read all of her novels and loved them.

Some recommendations of my own:

"The Round House" and anything else by Louise Erdrich (sp?).
"Dalva" by Jim Harrison
Anything by Elizabeth George, Denise Mina, and Tana French.
"Wish You Were Here" by Stuart O'Nan ("Snow Angels" is also wonderful)
"Seating Arrangements" (can't remember the author) is great, too.

Yes, Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead: that is a good book, I vert much enjoyed it. Also, Beautiful Ruins by Jess somebody. I just read Tana French's latest but liked it less than The Likeness and Faithful Place. It just felt over blown to me: a huge build up on the mystery front that dissipated into very little by the end. I felt let down!

I keep getting Denise Mina out of my library and it always gets recalled before I actually start: so she's back on my list. Thanks for reminding me!

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.