Extreme Couponing

angie_nrs

Cathlete
Is anyone else hooked on this show? I love getting a bargain! I wish I had the time and patience to do the extreme couponing, but it sure looks like a full time job. I wonder how much money these women spend on gas going from store to store to find the best deal. I also wonder how much they spend on newspapers or ink cartridges for computer coupons. There's got to be a lot of time and money that goes into it, but they never seem to disclose the money aspect of it on the show. I mean, yeah, it's pretty impressive to see them get hundreds of dollars of groceries for a few bucks. But, there's no way they can get everything they need for that. Where's the milk, eggs, yogurt, veges, coffee, etc.? I've also noticed that there's carts full of junk food! Do I really need 40 TV dinners....even if it's free? Uh, no. But I would buy 40 rolls of toilet paper if it meant major savings. Hey, who can't use TP???:eek::p Some of those stockpiles they show are pretty impressive. They had a lady on there who had 6 freezers. I wonder how much she saves after figuring in how much those freezers cost to purchase and how much it costs in electricity. I wonder if she freaks out in a power outage.:eek:

Overall, I don't think it's entirely realistic, but I do enjoy watching it.

I've watched this show several times too and each time I'm left asking myself "why"?? Why does anyone need 100 bottles of pain reliever or gatorade or pasta sauce? Wont this stuff expire before you can use it? The only way I see this type of shopping is if you have 12 kids or plan to donate most of it to your shelters

I saw a bit on a woman who spends 60 hours a week "couponing" and watched as she rolled out of the store with $1000 worth of groceries for like $3.00..or maybe even less! :eek: Impressive, yes but definitely not realistic between WHAT she bought and HOW MANY of the same item she bought. It's just silly and I believe it's done absolutely for the notariety of it. Perhaps they sell this stuff out of their homes to friends/family for a little profit but I can't believe it's enough to make it worth buying 60 bottles of gatorade!:rolleyes:

I do find this very interesting, however, look at some of the stuff they buy. A lot of it is junk...I'd rather spend my time in other ways, and not buy food that is unhealthy just because it's on sale and they have a coupon. I notice nowadays that there are barely any food coupons that I will cut anymore, it's usually for junk.

Anyway, I love bargains, but doing it as a job is not for me. I prefer to buy things I want and use and it just looks like they are buying most of this stuff because they have a coupon for it.

This show fascinates me. My father in-law used to stockpile food like that; it was crazy. He died very suddenly over a year ago, and my mother in-law is still trying to give away food all the time. Most of the stuff in the freezer has gotten that "freezer taste", and many other things are expiring all the time. Even if something like cumin is still okay to eat, it probably doesn't have much flavor anymore after sitting on the shelf for six years, KWIM?

Anyway, I've tried to coupon, and like many of you, I couldn't find any for what I buy. It's all processed garbage. Even the stuff I could use, like laundry detergent, was always for an expensive brand. It's cheaper to just buy a cheaper brand or the generic. :confused:

They were showing a marathon of back to back episodes and after a while all the episodes started to seem the same to me. It kind of looks like organized hoarding to me.

There was one guy that donated a lot of the stuff to charity which I thought was really cool but here in Canada I don't even think this kind of extreme couponing is possible. Our store coupon poilicies are a lot different and we don't have the store doubling the discounts.

I'm all for saving $$$ but I don't think I would be willing to go dumpster diving for extra coupons like I saw one woman doing. It seems like they do put a lot of time into it so more power to them!;)

I'm still trying to figure out how they get all of the multiple "free" item coupons??!!

...Cheryl

Good question........ I also don't know how they can print off all of the coupons (usually from multiple computers) and not have constant computer viruses. I tried to print off from a couple of sites and my computer got bogged down big time.:rolleyes: They must have specific sites that they go to that are legit?

I did send a nice note to a manufacturer of a whole grain flatbread that I like and they sent me a few coupons for free packages of flatbread.:) So that is how you might be able to get coupons for things you want, but those only last so long.

I agree that even though it's neat to watch, I think it will get old quick. Every episode does look pretty much the same. It's obvious that the 'big haul' they capture on film has been pre-planned to a T.

And.....what do they do with 60 bottles of liquid antacid???:eek: I'm thinking maybe if they didn't buy 50 bags of doritoes they may not need the antacid.:confused: LOL!

And.....what do they do with 60 bottles of liquid antacid???:eek: I'm thinking maybe if they didn't buy 50 bags of doritoes they may not need the antacid.:confused: LOL!

BWAH! That's a riot and a very valid point! ;):D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.