Explain the target heart rate please....

luvtorun

Cathlete
I just bought the Polar F4 HRM and I want to be sure I understand the target heart rate. My main concern is that my Max heart rate is 176, since I will be 44 next month and when I ran the other day, my heart rate stayed in the mid to high 160's for the 45 minute sustained run, sometimes going up into the low 170's at the beginning. I can't remember what the average HR was. Is this dangerous? When I did the Viper off the Terminator my max heart rate was 175, average was 142.

Edited to say that I hope this doesn't fall under the "stupid question" category but I honestly don't know if it is safe to exercise at sustained levels up towards the max HR. It would really suck to drop dead....:9

Your target heart rate is the number of heartbeats per minute that indicate appropriate intensity levels for an individual. That is, how hard your heart needs to work to achieve a training effect. Target heart rate is also called training heart rate. The general formula used to calculate target heart rate for an individual is 220-age. This formula can be used as a ballpark figure, there are other formulas that are more complex but more accurate. However, in the fitness world, 220-age is what's usually used to determine THR.

Hope this helps,
Lois

--Lois

"If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning" - Mahatma Ghandi

Hi,

I'm almost 46, and my max heart rate is calculated at 174 with the standard 220-age formula. I usually exercise at 160-167 bpm (and feel fine, thank you), so I don't think the formula is correct. There are many formulas out there, but I've read that the only way to determine actual max is with a physical test where you go all out.

PennyLaney

The formula 220-age is really inaccurate. Your maximum HR is determined primarily by genetics and it could be very high or very low or somewhere in between - the only way to know for sure is to have a stress test done. There are other formulas that take into account your gender and weight, and will give you more of a ballpark, but still - you could be 20 bpm higher or lower than this figure. My actual max HR is much higher than my calculated max HR (using any formula). Your situation could be similar, in which case your targets would need to be readjusted to account for this. You can't accurately calculate your target zones without knowing your actual max HR - and the only way to do this is with a stress test or hill-climb test.

Thanks for the responses.... that is what really raised my eyebrows with this new HRM, the fact that when I was running, I was staying in the mid-160's with my Max HR calculated at 176. My heart was working at 95% of Max HR for 45 minutes. I just didn't know if this was safe. Love to exercise and "train" but not very knowledgable about the scientific aspects of it.

I agree with Emily. The only way you can truly test your actual maximum heart rate is to get a professional stress test. I had one done at my health club last year and my max HR was determined to be 198. I was 37 at the time so following the formula, my max would be 183. It's important to know your true max HR in order to track your training heart rate.

Angie

Thanks.... I work for a hospital that has a fitness center. I am not a member since I don't work on-site but at home about 30 minutes away, but I'll see if I can get a stress test done for a fee.

Just generally speaking, what percentage of your Max HR, once it is determined, should you be training at?

I probably should have stressed more that the 220-age thr formula is definitely inaccurate. It was determined using random subjects in 1970 but is now generally thought to have a standard deviation of plus or minus 16 to 20 beats per minute. However, in some places it is still used as a guideline. By monitoring your rate of perceived exertion, (aka Borg Scale, RPE) you will have a much better idea of what exercise intensity works for you. I also use the "talk test". If I can't talk, I have to lower it a notch.

Also, in my case, I use an asthma inhaler before I work out which increases my heart rate. If I used the 220-age formula, I should have been dead a long time ago.
--Lois

"If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning" - Mahatma Ghandi

LOL..... I guess I need to use the talk test. I tried to answer my phone (which I don't do anymore) while doing one of Cathe's intense cardio workup (I think it was MIC) and my MIL just about called 911. :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.