exercise while pregnant

blondie2

Anyone have any suggestions on exercise that can be done with a healthy pregnancy? Did anyone cont to use all of Cathe's? I have hardcore extreme, interval max, imax 2, bootcamp, alll the new videos, muscle endurance. I also have some of Gin Miller's videos.
thanks for any suggestions. I am 7 weeks now.

Congratulations Blondie2!!

I personally can't do many of Cathe's videos much past 4 months.
Althought everyone is different. I had to hang it up last time
at around 20 weeks. I was nervous I was working too hard.
I did however start using some of my older videos mainly
Karen Voight. I also got hooked on Leisa Hart's Fit Mama.
I worked out everyday and felt that was key to staying fit
and bouncing back. It makes you feel better and cope with
some of the aches and pains. I am 9 weeks along and still using
Cathe's Kick Box and the Gym Syle series. You may want to
look into purchasing some pregnancy related videos too.
Just in case you feel uncomfotable with your current rountine.
I just bought "Buff Mom's Workout." It was pretty good and
you can make it harder by using heavier weights. I also tried
the older tapes by Kathy Smith and Denise Austin but I
didn't feel like I was doing too much. Out of all of them
I would say I liked Leisa Hart's Fit Mama but also still
lifted weights a few days a week too.
Best of Luck to you!

Jennifer Claire 12/24/05
? 7/2007

Congratulations! I am 36 weeks and counting! I have worked out exclusively with Cathe all through this pregnancy as well as my previous two pregnancies (I have 2 sons, 6yrs and 4yrs). I truly believe it helpd me meanage my stress level, eased my pregnancies (I never dealt with swelling, constipations, etc.), and was beneficial to the health of my babies. Having said that, I certainly did modify Cathe's workouts. I avoided the Imaxes altogether (except the cardio only premix on IMAX3)and tougher ones like MIC and HSTA--I do not have Boot Camp but that sounds like one to avoid (or at least parts of it!)I often pause a workout to walk around, drink water, and catch my breath before continuing. At some point during all of my pregnancies I had to stop doing all lower body weight work because it made me too sore in the lower region area afterwards--this does not happen to everyone though. With this current pregnancy, I only worked with one riser until about halfway and then stopped using the risers altogether. With these modifications, I could do just about all of Cathe's cardios although I tend to do the shorter ones (30-40 minutes)especially now that I am so BIG! I did purchase Low Impact Step and have used that a lot in these later months and expect to use it, at least for a little while, post partum to ease back into exercising. The cardio only premixes on Low Impact Circuit and Body Max 2 are also very doable and fun although I have to modify some of the jumping in BM2 (like cross countries--too uncomfortable). When I am really tired, I love to do the cardio only premix on IMAX3--fun, easy, short, yet I still feel like I am doing something in these last few weeks. I only have the videotapes for IMAX and IMAX2 but if you have the DVDs with cardio only premixes, I expect these would be fun also. Sorry so long but I hope this helps! Cathe has been great for me!

Congratulations! I'm 20 weeks now and still using some of Cathe's workouts but with modifications. I'm still using the same weight I was using prior to getting pregnant for muscle work but have noticed in the past week or two that it's getting harder. I'll most likely have to lighten the weights in the coming weeks. For #1 I couldn't stand to do leg work, but this time around it's ok.

Cardio has been harder for me to get motivated to do this time around and I've been doing mostly low impact since 1st trimester morning sickness and fatigue. But that's what feels good to do now so I'm rolling with it. No interval work for me so I won't see the Imaxes again for awhile. Also, no Boot Camp or Drill Max for me! I've hardly done circuit workouts, even the easier ones. For some reason, they just don't appeal to me right now.

Here's what's been working for me so far, modifying moves when needed:
Low Max on a 6" step
LIC - have done it all the way through but now prefer just the cardio/blast only premix
Body Max 2 - cardio only, using Mix & Match (may do the weight work seperately in the coming weeks)
Butts & Guts (for Guts I use the bonus abs and modify)
Low Impact Step, Muscle Max
Gym Styles (modify flat back leg exercises so exercises I can do on all fours)
KPC, Kick Max (no blast!), Cardio Kicks
Gin Miller's Simply Step has been good when I want a longer low impact workout

Have also done once or twice:
Power Hour, MIS, Cardio & Weights, L&G, Super Sets & SS UB premix, Step Heat, CTX (used a lot with #1, may do this more in the coming weeks)

I will most likely start doing the PS series in the coming weeks, as well as Basic Step/Body Fusion to replace any of the above that start getting uncomfortable to do. I actually did Cathe's High Step Circuit a few days ago and it was still way too easy. I may try Lovestostep's suggestion to try the cardio only part of Imax3. I may also try Gin Miller's other "Simply" workouts. I might even dust off some old(er) videos. I remember with #1 that I liked doing Kari Anderson's Body Tech.

Oops, majorly long winded! Hope this helps.
Diana

I've also noticed a change in my endurance level since I became pregnant. I am about 9 weeks now, and still feel like low impact or minimal blasts of high impact is all I can do. For instance, today I did Kick Max, but only the kickboxing segment, and I did it twice. I didn't think I could handle the blasts. I find I can't do a lot of the bouncing that Cathe does, or the blasts even, because it gets my heart rate way above the 140/minute maximum that my doctor recommended. I think I am done with Drill Max for now, even though I love it. I just don't think I can handle that intensity right now.

I must admit, having to back down on my intensity level since I became pregnant has been very frustrating for me. I had finally gotten up to Cathe's level of fitness (or close to it, anyway) and able to do her complete workouts, and now I can't do it! Also, when I had my first OB visit to confirm my pregnancy after Christmas, I was pleasantly surprised to see I had lost weight (finally) and was down to a weight I haven't been in 5+ years. And now I have to gain weight. It's discouraging, but I keep reminding myself it's for a good reason. I can't wait to see the little girl or boy I am carrying!

I forgot to add a question I had. Can any of you recommend some good pregnancy workouts that are still good in terms of intensity and not overly easy or geared towards beginners? I saw an ad in Pregnancy and Newborn for Lindsay Brin's Complete Pregnancy Fitness Program. Have any of you heard of this? I am looking for something along the lines of Cathe, but obviously know that will be difficult considering I am asking for pregnancy workouts! I wish she would do a pregnancy workout, now that I think of it.

I am bringing this thread to the top in the hopes of getting an answer to my question in the last paragraph. :)

>I am bringing this thread to the top in the hopes of getting
>an answer to my question in the last paragraph. :)

I hadn't heard of Lindsay Brin's workout, but I researched it and I totally would have bought it if I knew about it. It looks like there is a lot of variety and it looks more on the "advanced" side for pregnancy workouts. I'd definitely give it a shot.

I bought The Perfect Pregnancy Workout with Karyn Steban, Leisa Hart's Fit Mama, Pilates During Pregnancy with Neice Pecenka & Prenatal Yoga with Shiva Rea. I also used some of my Cathe's and just modified them. I did the Low-Impact Premix for KickMax, Lomax, Cardio & Weights, Push/Pull, Cathe's Wedding Video, Imax2(no blasts). If LIC was out when I was pregnant I would have been all over that one.

I really enjoyed The Perfect Pregnancy Workout. It felt easy in the first trimester, but I really appreciated it when I was really low on energy and also used it a lot in the 2nd & 3rd trimester. It's more of a strength/toning workout. She also does kegals & core. She shows beginner, intermediate and advanced options.

Leisa Hart's workout was super easy & repetetive, but I found myself using it a lot in the 3rd trimester. It has a salsa workout and a yoga workout. You could do them as one or as two separate workouts which is nice if you're low on energy and just want to do something.

I didn't like Pilates During Pregnancy. I noticed that I was getting diastasis recti (separation of ab muscles) in the 2nd trimester so I was unable to do a lot of these exercises. Also, I'm not a big pilates fan. If I was into pilates, this would probably have been a good video. I did mostly cathes prior to getting pregnant & I found this video difficult.

I was pleasantly surprised by Shiva Rea's Prenatal Yoga. I'm not a big fan of yoga, but this video really made me feel good, especially in the 2nd & 3rd trimester. I used it a lot when I felt achy or tight or all cramped up like there was no more room in my body, if that makes sense. I tried to do this at least once a week in the 2nd & 3rd trimester. It helped stretch me out and feel like I was making a little more room for my baby. It also has a bonus section that talks about a prenatal massage and shows techniques. I had my husband watch it and give me massages frequently!

Hope this helps!
Karen

That does help. Thanks so much, Karen! I will definitely look into the DVDs you mentioned. I am a bit reluctant, though, to try the pilates or yoga one since I have never really done much of either (pilates some, yoga honestly never). My doctor said to not do any new type of exercise and stick to what I already know, just lower the intensity. I was frustrated because I finally got a Bosu for Christmas, but I can't use it!

Nicole,

I just purchased the DVD you suggested. It looks different and
since you saw a difference after using it for your third baby
I thought I would try it too. Thanks for sharing.

Suzanne

Hi Ladies,

I have tried ," The Perfect Pregnancy Workout" Nicole sugested.
I Love it. I do feel like I am getting a nice workout. It is a
nonsense approach which I like. I received within days of ordering
on line too. I would say to get it a try. It is fun and you can modify from beginner to the more advanced.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.