Exercise Frequency

mamajoy

Hi All,

Do you think 5 days a week of exercise, 3 strength days and 2 cardio days, is enough to make gains? In my perfect world, I would be able to complete 6 days a week but I am just not able to make it happen and usually end up feeling discouraged like I failed some kind of standard, lol. I just finished my second week of STS and would like to continue with only two days of cardio, is there a way to optimize those cardio days and do you think it is enough?

TIA

Joy

I think there are probably people out there that make gains working out 3-4 times a week. I definitely thing you can make gains working out 5 days. It's also about quality not quantity. Maybe for your cardio do one of the days more of a steady state and the other one more intense (HiiT or Tabata). It also depends what you're trying to accomplish, what kind of gains are your striving towards? Depending upon your goals will also determine your plan of attack.

Thank you for the reply!

I am just trying to gain strength. I am not looking to lose weight or size, I'm happy with where I am at in that regard just want to be able to lift heavier....be stronger.

Hi All,

Do you think 5 days a week of exercise, 3 strength days and 2 cardio days, is enough to make gains? In my perfect world, I would be able to complete 6 days a week but I am just not able to make it happen and usually end up feeling discouraged like I failed some kind of standard, lol. I just finished my second week of STS and would like to continue with only two days of cardio, is there a way to optimize those cardio days and do you think it is enough?

TIA

Joy

Joy:

short answer: yes! No, you don't need more. I don't live in a perfect world, neither do you. 5 days per week, with the breakdown you suggest, is fantastic. Go for it!

Clare

Absolutely, five days a week, is great. Right now, I'm doing a kettlebell program, that calls for three days a week. Mon, Wed, and Fri. I also did this program five years ago, and gained power, and strength. I may add in two to three days a week. Something that will compliment the kettlebell program. But, five years ago, I made great gains with three days a week. But, then again, I was five years younger. I'm sure that will be a factor.

Last edited:
I definitely thing you can make gains working out 5 days. It's also about quality not quantity.

5 times per week is enough to make gains. I agree with quote above. QUALITY is definitely more important than quantity.
Quality of the move is important, Not a contorted bouncy move lifting heavy load, risking injury!

Absolutely, five days a week, is great. Right now, I'm doing a kettlebell program, that calls for three days a week. Mon, Wed, and Fri. I also did this program five years ago, and gained power, and strength. I may add in two to three days a week. Something that will compliment the kettlebell program. But, five years ago, I made great gains with three days a week. But, then again, I was five years younger. I'm sure that will be a factor.

Karen, what kettlebell program are you doing?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.