Equipment needed for STS?

Hello everyone! This is my first post so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section.

I was doing some exploring and ran across this site, I started reading and everyone is so friendly I decided to join and check things out. STS looks like an awesome program. I've decided to make my basement into a workout area and STS will be my reward for sorting through all the junk down there.

Now I need to know what equipment I need to purchase. I have 3,5,8 lb dumbells and stability ball. My ex left a gigantic barbell that I can't even lift and some big plates
(50 &35, I think). My basement floor is also cement/concrete, not sure if I need special padding or something.

I guess I should tell you all that I am very overweight, I'm 5 feet tall, my total goal was to lose 98 lbs and I've lost 14 since January 1st. So I'm out of shape and won't need a ton weight-wise to start. I'm also a single mom of 2 so don't have much of a start up fund. I need to know the basics to start and what I can wait to purchase as my strength/ability increases. I watcherd the previews and there is so much-little square step, long step, bands, gloves, barbells, mats, my head is spinning!:confused:

Any advice is appreciated!

Jen

Hi Jenn,

Welcome!

If you decide to start with STS, you probably could get by with a long step (use the long step in place of the square step), dumbbells, stability ball, one 6 foot band, and one tube with door attachment. You don't necessarily need a mat, gloves, or a barbell. You can use dumbbells in place of a barbell.

Walmart Online sells a cheap barbell. I think it's the Troy and it sells for around $30. Check out Craigs List for used equipment. If you can find an incline/decline weight bench on Craigs List, you can use that instead of the long step.

You may want to check out some of Cathe's other circuit dvds that include cardio and strength. Low Impact Step and Basic Step/Body Fusion are good beginner dvds.

Best Wishes on your fitness journey!
Wendy

Last edited:
Welcome! Good for you!! I would get the STS dvds and preview them. You will have to calculate your one rep max. Depending on how strong you are you may or may not need additional dumbells to do sts. You will need some excercise bands and tubing, a chair, a bench or a step (one that can go on an incline) a stability ball, a mat. Something to cover your floor. I have puzzle foam flooring that I got at Costco fairly inexpensive. A large mirror so you can watch your form. I wear a heart rate monitor, you can get anywhere target walmart Costco sports store.

Hmm I don't have a door in the basement but I do have the Fluidity Bar that should work for pull-ups for awhile. I was loking at the step prices and it may be cheaper just to get a small incline bench than the step with all the risers and the incline pieces. I'll check and see if Craigs List is used around here, good suggestion! Thanks for the foam suggestion, my daughter has those covering her bedroom floor, we were talking about taking them off, maybe I'll just move them down to the cellar!

I can't wait to order the DVDs, hopefully with in the next couple of months! I love to exercise with weights, even though I lift next to nothing I always feel good afterward. I used to be athletic but over the last 10 years gained 100 lbs so I have tons of work to do but I'm determined to get there! My ultimate reward will be a RT I think, I've been snooping at all the photos from the previous ones, looks like so much fun!

Jen

For pullups and chinups I use tubing. You can put a i hook into one of the floor joists and it will hold it just fine. Thread the tubing through the hook and its that easy!

The Fluidity bar will be perfect for pull-ups and chin-ups. One pro to having a step is if you ever decide to buy Cathe's step dvds. STS doesn't include cardio dvds. If you want to lose weight faster, you'll have to incorporate some cardio into STS. You could always walk/run too.

Wendy

Thanks to both of you! I do have a gym membership, I manage to get there 3 times a week so I shouldn't have a problem getting cardio in. It's the weights I have trouble squeezing in, I need to be able to do those at home on non-gym days. Babysiting times at the gym don't allow me much flexibility with getting there every day.

Jen :D

First, congrats on losing 14 pounds! Second, congrats on wanting to get fit! :)

About STS, it's strictly a weight lifting program, and I believe anyone can start it with the weight that's right for them. Whereas, your weights wouldn't work for me, if they work for you that's all you need. If those weights don't pose a challenge for you, you should up them. Walmart has pretty cheap weights and sometimes Dick's has deals. You're going to need either a bench that can be used flat and incline or a step, but I do think a step is essential (decline moves are used in STS). With a cement floor I would suggest getting a mat if doing ab work. I don't think you have to have it carpeted wall to wall. I got my barbell two years ago at Dick's for $50 with weights included (looks the same as the one Cathe uses). You will need a stability ball, those range from $13-$19.99 at Walmart. You're going to need a band.

If you're not ready for STS, Cathe has many other wonderful DVD's.

I suggest previewing the DVD's to see what equipment you'll need. I feel like I'm forgetting to tell you something that you'll need LOL.

Good luck!

I found this on the info page for STS- re equipment needed

What Equipment is Needed for STS
The equipment needed for STS is a bench or step, a weight adjustable barbell, a wide variety of dumbbells, a stability ball, a resistance band, paper plates, and good focus. Other pieces of equipment are totally optional such as a pull up bar (or tubing), weighted vest, ankle weights, micro load weighted gloves, and slanted risers

Welcome, Jen

You'll do fine! I'm impressed. You already have all you need to start some serious weight training, in my opinion. Start light and do lots of squats. STS is somewhat specific with equipment but with some imagination: use your basement step for elevated lunges and dumbbell rows. You don't really need a bench for chest flys or tricep work, just lay on the floor (on a towel, maybe :) ). Forget the gloves, not necessarry. A band is nice, Walmart has them, Collage Video, too--free shipping.

After my husband died, 16 yrs ago, I gained but have since lost, 70 lbs. A lot of it is mental, a taking control. Sounds like you are there, or at least on your way. I'll be cheering you on, and will say a little prayer.

Let us know how you're doing.

Janie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.