Energy problem in the morning

melimcn

Cathlete
I've been a morning workout person for YEARS with no issue. I've never really had problems getting myself out of bed to get it done. I usually just roll out of bed and down to my workout room. I like getting my workout out of the way first thing in the morning, especially with a little guy at home.

But lately, in the past few months, I've been DRAGGING during my workouts. No engery, and it's a fight to get through it. If I am able to do that workout later in the day (afternoon, say) I have no problem and get a great workout in.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on why this might be happening? I really don't want to have to give up the morning workout time. It's really all I've got most of the time. But my workouts are definitely suffering with the lack of energy.

One last thing to note: I take my thyroid meds when I first get up, so I'm limited with my ability to have coffee or food.

You mention your thyroid (and having been recently diagnosed hypothyroid myself, I identify with your a.m. energy lag) ... have your levels been checked recently ? Could be your thyroid is flaring up a bit... they haven't gotten mine 100% treated yet and I still drag out of bed :mad: Good luck !

I totally have the same problem right now....not the thyroid, but the energy thing. I was actually considering posting a comment myself, but was happy to that someone already did. Like you, work outs in the morning are really the best time for me to workout because I get my workout in before the day flies by me and it's either too late or I'm too tired to work out. With a new baby, working full time and taking classes part time, it's CRUCIAL that I be able to work out at 5 am without any interuptions. I was able to do this easily about 5 yrs ago, but now......it's nearly impossible. Not only don't I have the energy, but my lower back hurts in the morning now, I don't feel flexible, I just lifting my arms over my head for a warm up feels like I'm lifting 100 lbs over my head! I'm not sure what to do myself. I refuse to give up my workouts and refuse to give up my classes. But some days, it's only one or the other if I decide to sleep in cause I'm too tired to get up. I can wake up at 5 am wide awake but lay there and think "oh my god. I just want to puke at the though of getting up right now to do a high impact cardio session or heavy weight lifting".....and then I don't get up. I can only seem to put in 1/2 the effort that early in the morning. And I don't have time to eat, drink or stretch for more than a minute. I've got only 60 min in the morning and I'm pretty rushed for that. I'm not sure what I can do to get my body/mind in gear before either one of them are really awake. Any suggestions?

You know Jen, the feeling that you're describing is what landed me at the doctor in the first place. That's how we found out that I was hypothyroid. We just caught it right as it was happening. And mind was due to pregnancy (became an issue about 6mos pp). So that might be something you want to check on.

I'm thinking that maybe I need to increase my dose again. For awhile, I was fine. But maybe I'm flaring up again. The more that I think about it, the more it occurs to me that this has only really been a problem since all of the thyroid craziness started. They found it in December, let it go for a month, then put me on meds in January. They've been increasing my dosage ever since. Last test seemed that my levels were good. But that's been 2 months, so maybe I'm still out of whack.

Hmmm.

I totally relate!!

I don't have any health related reasons why, but I can't get up! For the past 5 years it's always been 4:50 wake up call and get the whole workout done by 6:16/6:30. LOVED it. Got it and always got a good workout. The past few months I can't move, I lie there awake and think about it, but dont get up....I then do nothing but think "got to workout" all day long!
All I can say is thank goodness school is staring in a week, becasue I'm hoping that will help...since I have to get the kids up at 6 I might as well get up myself..
The worst part of all of this that I'm missing workouts and eating terrribly and I've put on about 6-8lbs!! It's making me miserable....MUST GET UP TOMMOROW!!
GOOD LUCK TO YOU
Elena

Elena,
I know just what you mean! Recently, I too had that problem. I also take thyroid med. in the am, so I don't eat anything before I work out, unless I take it earlier. Perhaps you should wait 30 min. and then eat a small snack, like a banana or a handful of grapes--wait 45 min and then try working out. I've done that and that helps me. I've also taken to write in a journal and sometimes it's stress or lack of sleep.

You mentioned that you have been eating terribly--do you have any light cookbooks or recipes you could try? I've found that when I'm in a rut, I try a few new recipes to get me motivated. I've got an AMAZING homemade salsa I eat on top of orzo. The food we eats directly affects how we feel. I totally sympathize with you and it seems like many others know how you feel. I continue to workout in the am and it's gotten better; I hope it does for you as well.

Last edited:
Melissa,

If this has been a routine for you and nothing else has changed, I would definitely think you should go in for a check up and get your thyroid labs checked again--sounds like you might need an increase. TSH, Free T4 and Free T3 (not just total T3). And it wouldn't hurt to get Vitamin D, B12, Ferritin checked along with a CBC as well--ever been anemic? Also all your hormones and adrenal function.

On the thyroid forums a good handful of people take their thyroid meds a few hours after dinner before they go to bed and find this works great for them. I'd check with your doc first, but you might want to try this. If you haven't checked already, Medhelp.org and about.com/thyroid both have great active thyroid forums where you can ask questions.

(BTW, I am hypothyroid and had a total thyroidectomy at the end of May)

Hope things get better soon!

You know Jen, the feeling that you're describing is what landed me at the doctor in the first place. That's how we found out that I was hypothyroid. We just caught it right as it was happening. And mind was due to pregnancy (became an issue about 6mos pp). So that might be something you want to check on.

I'm thinking that maybe I need to increase my dose again. For awhile, I was fine. But maybe I'm flaring up again. The more that I think about it, the more it occurs to me that this has only really been a problem since all of the thyroid craziness started. They found it in December, let it go for a month, then put me on meds in January. They've been increasing my dosage ever since. Last test seemed that my levels were good. But that's been 2 months, so maybe I'm still out of whack.

Hmmm.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.