Endurance vs/or Strength????

L

Lora

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-00 AT 12:11PM (EST)</font></center>

I'll try again. Maybe I offended you. Hope not. I just would like to know more about the difference between Strength training and Endurance training. Which is which and what the pros and cons are with both. Why some instuctors designing their Strength workouts with lite weights and many reps. and others use heavier weights and less? Besides that fact that they are harder. I guess I need to get my copy of "Strong Women Stay Slim" from my sister and read it again. But any little info from you would be appreciated.
happy.gif
Lora

Hi Lora!

I was just reading your response to another post and decided to look for this Jan 13th post that you mentioned. No, you absolutely did not offend me. I just don't always get to all of the questions. Its truly nothing personal.

Your question is actually a very common one. If you go back and look through all of the other questions or even run a search(by clicking on the flashlight icon at the top of the forum page)you will find a variety of questions pertaining to this topic. But before you do this, I will just briefly answer your question to give you some insight.

Before I go into discussing the difference between muscular strength and muscular endurance, I'd like to point out that it is hard to totally separate the two concepts. When working on improving the one area, the other area is tapped into and vice versa. However, you can focus more attention and improvement in one area over the other.

To focus more on muscular strength, you would train with heavier weights, less reps, and at a slower rep pace. To enhance muscular endurance, you would train with lighter weights, more reps, and possibly a faster rep pace.

When looking to build more muscle mass, a stronger physique, and or looking to reshape your current physique, you would put a stronger focus on developing muscular strength. When looking to define and tone muscles without necessarily sculpting a new physique or largely increasing strength gains, you would put a stronger focus on developing muscular endurance.

Unless you are an athlete in training for specific needs to accomplish specific sport related goals, it is a common practice to do a combination of both types of training to develop overall fitness and to crosstrain your muscles. For example, marathon runners do better with less muscle mass and more muscle endurance to carry them the long distances, while shot putters do better developing muscular strength so that they can put all of their strength and energy into one throw.

If you are not an athlete in training or have any other reasons for needing to strongly focus in one area(ex, rehabilitation program)then doing a combination of both will improve your overall quality of life. Doing both will keep you limber, strong, and provide you with the right "ingredients" to assist you in chores that pertain to everday life. For example, you'll have the strength and stamina to shovel snow, carry loads of laundry and/or carry children, stand in long grocery express lines with light to medium weight objects in your arms, withstand a day of repainting a room or two, take your dog out for a walk/jog, etc.

Hope this helps you understand how incorporating these two concepts not only provides a better balance for a fitness routine but also for all you do in life. Good luck!

Waiting to hear from Cathe

Hi Cathe,
I am a newcomer to your workouts, and just received your PS Series, can't wait to try them.
I have been trying to get your input on what to eat and pro's and con's on protien shakes, see my posting "Nutrition"

Thanks for all the information

You and everyone else have provided me with such great info. Thank you for taking the time. I also will look at the other post and how you mentioned I could access them. That is new to me. Hope all is going fine with your new baby and you and your husband are getting enough sleep.
happy.gif
Lora

Nutrition

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-00 AT 04:12PM (EST)</font></center>

You could also go do a search for posts on nutrition. There have been several posts in the past on this subject. But Cathe will not give advice on nutrition. She always recommends that you talk to a nutrition expert.

OOPS!! I typed this before I saw Cathes response on the other post. Sorry.......

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.