Emotional eating

MelanieC

Cathlete
So this post is kind of difficult for me to write, but I'm wondering if anyone out there struggles with emotional eating and if they've found any good books to help them overcome this issue. I did a search on amazon, and there are so many books its overwhelming.

When I type in "emotional eating" on google, there are tons of brief articles on it, 5-step plans, 8-step plans, how-to's etc. with all the stuff I've heard before. I just really want to read something that goes beyond a one-page web article.

Any suggestions?

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggle. I too suffered from this for many years (especially as a young child). I read several books by Geneen Roth and was delighted!!! I started with "breaking free from emotional eating". She even has a website. I hope this helps!

MelanieC,

Another vote for Geneen Roth. She has a book that was made popular by Oprah (Women, Food, and God), but there is also another lesser known title I would recommend by Roth: Feeding the Hungry Heart: the Experience of Compulsive Eating.

I also have heard wonderful things about the book Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole. She also has a website: Homepage | Intuitive Eating. I can't vouch for this system personally, but I know others who have found great success with it--the premise being to break the "diet" mentality and rehaul one's relationship with food.

Wishing you all the best and hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Last edited:
I feel your pain....just Wednesday I ate a whole package of cookie dough....I'm good most of the time....but I was stressed and used food as my outlet.....

one more idea, sort of a unique approach that explores relationships with food through stories, myths and metaphor:

Eating in the Light of the Moon by Anita Johnston, PhD

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.