Emjoi Hair Removal System

BAM

Cathlete
I'm watching HSN right now and they're showing the Emjoi Silken Hair Removal System. Has anyone used this and if so, how is it? Does it hurt? Does it keep hair away for awhile? I was contemplating just buying an electric razor but am thinking of perhaps going in this direction. It's $39.98 plus $6.21 shipping. Is it worth it? Thanks for your input.

Bam

I just went to the HSN website and read some reviews. A lot of people said it was way too painful and they returned it. Some said that you have to follow the directions exactly and gave tips on how to do so which gave them good results. I'm wondering if I should just buy a regular electric razor. Does anyone know of a good one that's not too expensive? Thanks again!

Bam

I'm sure I'm not the norm, but I used this years ago (or one like it - rotating tweezers/coils/etc). Yes it can be painful but to me it wasn't that bad. And I got used to it after a bit. Bonus - after a few years of continuous use, I no longer have to shave my legs. (Note, my eyebrows didn't grow back after years of plucking either so it's probably just me.)

I LOVE the bonus! but again - this may be unique to me. Others note that the hair grows back less dense. I do know that I used to get that '5-o'clock shadow' :( It did NOT work the same for my sister. She resorted to electrolysis. :p

I DID find that I was more prone to ingrown hairs until it stopped growing.

HTH

I have used one for years, but not the model that HSN is advertising. Here is the one I use: http://www.emjoi.com/detail/EMJ+AP-99

It definitely is not for people with a low pain threshold, as when you first start using it the hair roots are firmly planted. But you get used to it and the discomfort diminishes as the roots weaken. I have never been able to have a smooth feel with shaving -- never. But I do have it with the Emjoi and the frequency of needing to use it continues to decrease.

I have a couple of different Emjois (different widths) and I use them regularly (unfortunately, the lessening of hair growth hasn't worked for me, though when I was a teen, I used to shave and epilate my legs, but at some point I ended up with no hair to remove except for a stray ankle hair once in a while. Don't know how it happened, but I'd love for it to happen elsewhere).

The wider the head of the hair remover, the more painful it can be. Especially in the bikini line, or other areas with thick hair.

I suppose it depends somewhat on your pain threshhold. I've plucked my eyebrows for years, and never understood why some people say it's painful. I barely notice.

The Emjoy is just like a lot of little tweezers pulling out the hairs.

I've never used anything other than a razor, handheld and electric. Don't waste money on an electric razor! They are worse and not better at a smooth shave than a handheld razor. I look forward to the day when I can afford laser hair removal!

I hate shaving!

Thanks so much, ladies! You know, I was delving into my memory banks, (seems quite a challenge lately :rolleyes:) and I remember purchasing an Epilady that had coils and ripped your hair out. I recall being in severe pain. I guess the Emjoi is similar to that. I did do laser hair removal for my arms and it has worked amazingly well. If I could afford it now, I'd do it for other parts of my body. I just found out that my niece is using that Smooth Away. Maybe I'll try that as well. I'm tired of putting my body through so many painful things. I need a Sven!!!! ;)

Bam

I have used the Emjoi system for 20 some odd years and now I no longer have much to remove! I was one of the hairiest people that I knew which is why I used this.

I have used it on my legs and arm pits as well. If I shaved my underarms, I would have a 5 o'clock shadow by 2 in the afternoon! I now have very little hair to remove.

Their customer service is great. My adapter stopped working. My current model is at least 10 years old, so I wasn't sure if I would be able to get a replacement. Well the techie gave me a model number which did not work. They refunded the money for that one and made sure that I got one that worked for free!

...I remember purchasing an Epilady that had coils and ripped your hair out. I recall being in severe pain. I guess the Emjoi is similar to that. ...

Bam

I think the tweezer-type epilators are better than the old coil-type. I also had an Epilady coil thing and found it too painful to use. I don't have an Emjoi but I have a Braun epilator that looks similar and, while it's still somewhat painful, it's much more efficient. Yes, it yanks the hair out and that hurts. But it seems to just yank once as compared with the Epilady which pulled and pulled, over and over, on the same area.

Sheila

What made it much more bearable for me (I use one similar but only on my lower leg) was having them waxed for years first. Then the hairs came out easier and you get used to the "pain" which now hardly seems bad at all.

After 30 years (started waxing in college) I don't have half as much hair and it is less dense. Course at my age all my hair is thinning . . . :rolleyes: Fine with me ! :p

Why don't you try sugaring instead? It is not painful and so easy to do. The only troublesome part is to make the sugaring paste but once you make a batch, it can last you a long time. I don't use the strip method but the free hand method. Once you get the technique (which is not difficult) you will find it is so easy to remove legs and underarm hair. I use it on bikini area too. Before I come to know about sugaring I had use waxing, epilating, shaving but none as good as this.

Here is the link on how to make the paste and how to do it.
http://video.google.com/videosearch...sult_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CCYQqwQwBA#

I've used an Emjoi for as long as I can remember. I haven't shaved in years and years. I LOVE mine. I use it once a week, as I'm a bit OCD....but you really could get away only using it once every 2 weeks. I use it on my arms, legs, underarms, bikini area and face.

I have the MOST sensitive skin and at first, I used to get a slight rash that went away with time. I didn't think it hurt at all....just a slight pinch. Now I feel no pinching. If you get the Gold Carress, better model, it is a lot smoother. I'll never use a razor again. Bye bye to razor nicks and excessive bleeding!

Which brand is better? Emjoi or Braun? I'm totally going to do this. I'm doing laser hair removal for my armpits and bikini, but I would love to be able to shave my legs less often.

Thanks for the input on this, ladies.

I'm also interested and have a 20% off coupon from BB&B which carries both of these brands. I would also like to know which brand (Braun or Emjoi) is best, and which is better wet or dry?

There are so many choices and price ranges. BB&B has them from about $60 up to $149. What are the best features to look for? TIA!!

I'm also interested and have a 20% off coupon from BB&B which carries both of these brands. I would also like to know which brand (Braun or Emjoi) is best, and which is better wet or dry?

There are so many choices and price ranges. BB&B has them from about $60 up to $149. What are the best features to look for? TIA!!

I haven't used the Braun, so I can't speak to that, but you can get a good one for a lot less than $60. As for wet vs dry, can't help you there either. I always use mine dry.

I like this one for underarms and bikini : http://www.amazon.com/Emjoi-AP-9L-S...ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1262904502&sr=8-3

For legs (I don't need to remove hair from mine), I'd go for one with a wider head.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.