Elliptical or Treadmill?

I have been looking the past two weeks on treadmill and ellipticals and wonder if I will get bored with the Elliptical. With my achilles problem I know as far as impact the elliptical would be better, but I wonder if you get the same benefits you do from a treadmill?

I have seen alot of people who have both get rid of the elliptical instead of their treadmill. So I'm wondering if it is may become boring? I am hoping some of you can give me some information before I go and make this purchase!

Hope this wasn't a crazy question, but I want to make the right decision!

Thanks for all your help!

kim

Kim,
I have a precor treadmill and have had it for 5 years now and I love it, but recently I had some problems with sciatica and back problems, so I have had to use the elliptical for the past 2-3 months and I have to say, I have had great results with it. My heartrate actually is a little higher on this for me than the treadmill and I have had no injuries or pain at all from it. In fact, my hubby just ordered a nordic track elliptical for me and I should get it any day now. When I start doing more high impact routines, I will definitley keep doing the ellipitcal a couple days of week. I think it definitley works the same muscles as running and there is zero impact. I think if I had to choose at this point between the two of them, I would say the elliptical. Sorry for rambling on. Good luck with your decision and you really can't go wrong either way.

Susan

It's definitely a personal thing. I personally loathe treadmills. I don't know why, but I just do. I love ellipticals and choose that or the bike at the gym over the treadmill anyday, but the treadmills at the gym are always busy so I think I am just weird :). One thing that does help with boredom on either machine is using mp3 workouts like itrain or cardio coach. They really kick your butt. Also, it might be a good idea to get a week or month pass to a gym to try really try out the elliptical and treadmill to see which one you like better.

Karin

I have to agree with Karin, at least that's been my experience. I love my elliptical, but using audio workouts is the only way I know of to combat boredom. I think you'd be hard pressed to say which cardio machine is the most boring. I mean let's face it, the one thing all cardio machines have in common is that they are monotonous and repetitive in function. Having said that, I think ellipticals offer more variety than a treadmill; you can go forward and backward, increase resistance, increase the incline, and depending on the machine, you can get an upper body workout with the handlebars. Most machines offer a variety of preset programs, too, or you can devise your own program by choosing the manual setting.

I heart my elliptical:+

Kim,

I am an elliptical retard so I would opt for the treadmill. :)
Not sure if it is rhythm I lack but I cannot do it! Good luck to you!

I think it totally depends upon what sort of activity you like.

I love hiking, so the treadmill is always the answer for me. And I disagree with previous poster that it is not a versatile piece of equipment. I can do walking, power walking, running, steady state cardio, intervals, speed intervals and great high incline, lower speed "hikes". I love to jack up the incline to the max and really work those legs and glutes. I imagine myself on some great switch backs high in the Rockies with alpine smells and flowers all around me and my backpack on my back. Love it. If your speed is slow and measured enough, you can do walking lunges also.

Clare

We own one of each and if I had to choose I would pick the elliptical. You can (almost) always go outside for a walk or run. The elliptical gives you a no impact high intensity (or any intensity option) workout.

And how many years can we sustain consecutive hi-impact workouts?

*another person who hearts her (precor) elliptical trainer.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

I prefer the elliptical. It just seems that you can hit the legs better with an elliptical without taxing the joints. I once stressed my knee on a treadmill (I have no idea how, but my knee bothered me for MONTHS afterward). The elliptical is so much friendlier to the knees!

I vote for the Elliptical. I run outdoors and live in Calif so a treadmill wouldn't be an option for me as I run in fairly good weather all year long. I bought an Elliptical about 4 months ago..I LOVE IT! I am sure I wouldn't get bored...(I run!), I also use the workouts on www.iTrain.com I really like the iClimbs with Keith and so far have not been bored with any, plus Ellipticals and also Treadmills have their own programs in them. I like that the Elliptical is no impact on my joints...:)

I own both and haven't been on my Eliptical for years! Hate it.. boring.. now I love the treadmill, go figure!:)

I have an elliptical, but long for a treadmill now as well. I just want it all. See, this is my problem, I want everything. I do find the elliptical boring, but I think that I'll have the same problem with the treadmill. It's just the same motion over and over again that gets me. I have to be able to think hard about what I'm doing so my mind doesn't wonder to what I could be doing instead of cardio.

Kathy

I really think it is a personal preference. I have both and I consistantly choose the elliptical over the treadmill. I can run farther and harder on it without getting achy hips and if I can trust my heart rate monitor, I get a harder workout too. Also, it is nice that you can work your arms and switch up going forward or backward. To combat boredom, I created playlists on my I-pod that cranks out just the right music to keep me pumped up. I also turn on the TV just to have something else to look at.

Good luck with your decision.

JJ

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.