eliptical question

Travisli

Cathlete
I tried the eliptical for the first time last week. Since then I've used it twice. I like it very much and might try to use it once or twice a week but a friend of mine said I was going to get huge legs because I alternate between a resistence of 10 and 15 for 30 minutes. He said that my legs will get all bulky with muscle from doing that and that I would be better off doing no resistence for a longer period of time. It sounded to me like the lighter weights lots of rep rhetoric but I'm a little freaked out by it and thought I would ask if anyone knows this to be true. I don't want Arnold legs! :eek:

Travis,

I tend to agree with you that it sounds like the lighter weights lots of rep storyline spouted by many trainers at the moment (going for the long lean look). As we "in the know" realize, most women just don't "bulk" like that. However, this could all depend on your definition of the word "bulk." I personally feel bulk means getting bigger muscles, and maybe not losing the fat on top, so that the end result is that a person looks bigger but not toned. However, if a person's definition of bulky is having any visible muscle tone, then I imagine most working out (including the elliptical at a medium to high resistance) will be adverse to their goals. With that said, you should definitely be burning off any fat with Insanity that you just received! Maybe do it for a couple weeks, see what the outcome is and tweak as necessary.

Carrie

Thanks Carrie,

I like muscle definition and have no problem with it -- but I am sure I'll burn the fat off with Insanity -- and tweaking a workout regimin is a way of life, so I guess I shouldn't worry . . . he just freaked me out with that bulking talk! :eek:

Last edited:
For about 3 years I did all of my cardio (using Cardio Coach workouts) *EXCLUSIVELY* on an elliptical with similar resistance settings, and my legs are not bulky. If anything, I would say it had a slimming effect on my legs, hips, and glutes.

For about 3 years I did all of my cardio (using Cardio Coach workouts) *EXCLUSIVELY* on an elliptical with similar resistance settings, and my legs are not bulky. If anything, I would say it had a slimming effect on my legs, hips, and glutes.

YES! That's the kind of response I was hoping for! :) Thank you!

Hogwash. However, do keep in mind that for women the elliptical should not be the only form of cardio, particularly if you have some of the risk factors for osteoporosis or if it runs in your family. I love the elliptical, but I force myself to walk on the treadmill occasionally for more impact for the sake of prevention.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.