Effects of Slow & Heavy question

Beth1

Cathlete
Okay, first of all I got Imax 3 yesterday, so after posting my fright - I have been reassured (than you all),and yes AJock (sp?) I love Imax 1 so am planning to jump in with 3 on Monday. Thing is, I am in 2nd week of S&H, lifting heavy, each one once per week. I'm noticing that I'm more tired than usual, sleeping longer than usual and weirdly - after only one leg & shoulder session last Sun., my legs are more sore than they've ever been. I did that one on Sunday, rested on Monday, chest & back Tues, Imax 1 on Wednesday - I was so sore on Thursday it was like I'd done a lower body. Today I did KM premix blast challenge and my hamstrings are feeling it. Normally I do 3 strengths a week, upper & lower twice per week and am never this sore. It's not pain, it's not bad just amazing that I feel like I've done LBP everyday this week. Has anyone else noticed this, is it just me, especially the need to sleep more - coincidence or is this a side effect?? Never done anything like S&H before, normally do endurance workouts, muscle max, ME, Pyramids etc.
Really curious if anyone else has ever felt this way. Oh, and I can only do 2 cardio's a week rather than my normal three. ????

I usually want to sleep more (and eat more too!) during a S&H rotation. I don't usually get sore, however. I get more sore from the endurance workouts (Muscle Endurance, Power Hour, etc). I've gotten good results from S&H, but I just never seem to get that soreness for some unknown reason.

Shelbygirl

Slow and Heavy makes me starvacious!

I always had to sleep more and eat more during slow and heavy rotations too. The hunger way outpaced the need, I was always hungry and gaining weight so I don't do those anymore.

I'm sure it's all to your benefit if you eat clean, and are not a cookiemonster like me.

I am also doing the slow and heavy series. I tweak the series abit. I do the bicep and tricep workout on 1 day. I incorporate the shoulder workout, with the chest and back workout on day 2. I love the shoulder workout in this series, very effective and I'm sore. I'm not too crazy about the leg workout in this series so I do either do leaner legs or gym style legs. On each day I also include an 1 hour of cardio. I start the same rotation again on day 4, resting on day 7 except still do at least 1 hour of cardio and also concentrate on abs that day.
I'm not unusually tired or extra hungry, at least not that I have noticed.

hmmm.. actually I think you are right. I just did 2 weeks of it and was very tired. I'll watch it more closely next time!

I find myself getting very pleasantly tired also during S&H weeks. Sore too at the beginning and whenever I make a jump up in weights. Like a previous poster, I prefer to do Gym Style legs or LL for the lower body section. I do not need more muscle building on my legs, but I do need more strength and endurance for my cardio work. But my puny upper body benefits the most from strength work, never endurance. On the days I do S&H weight training, I do not do cardio because I like to put my all into the weight training.

Clare

The days when I do an hour of S&H, I'm dead! And really sore for the next few days. I've noticed that my appetite goes through the roof when on this rotation, too. But I've gotten great results!!!

L

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.