education for pregnancy and post-partum fitness instructors

rachelw

I am looking for information or advice on resources available to those interested in working with pregnant and post partum women in the wellness field. I live in the southwestern US and was not able to attend the workshop in DC. Is there certification available for aerobics instructors or personal trainers that is specific to pregnancy? Or is the field pretty wide open? I would love to hear what experiences people have had in this area.

Pregnancy Education

I will tell you right off that Sheila is the best! (I wouldn't work for her if I didn't think so!) If there is any way you can take her course, I would do so. Her information is by far the most complete, and her certification contains everything you would need to know or use to start your own program. (I think Cathe will agree) I would suggest you contact Sheila via email to discuss what options might be available to you.

There are other programs available too. Sara's City has a certification that may be closer to you. Check out http://www.saracity.com for information.

Also ISSA has an online CE course that you can take for $65.00. Check out http://www.issaonline.com for more information.

Hope this helps!

training

Thanks for the info Laura, it gave me a starting point. I have also learned that AFAA has a home study pre-natal program. I wonder if you or anyone else out there have any opinions on which of these programs ( afaa, Sara's city, and issa) is the best? I am intrigued by your glowing praise of Sheila, but I haven't heard back from her so I don't know what she offers. Any opinions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Pregnancy and Postpartum Fitness Instructor Training

Hi Rachel,

Unfortunately, the next Healthy Moms Instructor Training will not be until early Spring. It will again be in the Washington, DC area. I know that you live in the western part of the country. Dancing Through Pregnancy offers a certification and I know that program has been done in the west because I took it awhile back in Phoenix. You might go to their website..... www.dataimages.com/dtp to get more information.

The AFAA program used to be given "live." I would contact them and see if they are still presenting it this way. The home study is pretty good as well. It gives a good overall background. However, I strongly recommend that you attend a "live" training because a good part of prenatal fitness instructor training is practical application and "hands on" experience. Home study is a good starting point but if your goal is to work with clients you need to attend a training as well rather than try to rely on a manual for all your answers.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you decide. This women in this market are hungry for current knowledge and unfortunately the market is virtually untapped. We definitely need more people who genuinely care about the health and well-being of women during this very special time. Go for it!

Sheila

Healthy Moms Instructor Training

Sheila,

Would you be able to post the dates of the Healthy Moms Instructor Training as soon as you know what they will be? I'm a RN and a childbirth educator, and I'd love to be able to integrate that background with fitness! I live in the Atlanta area, so I may be able to attend if I have advance notice (I teach weekend crash courses in addition to my weeknight classes and schedule them months to a year in advance). Thanks so much!

Kristin Aziz

You may be in luck!

Sheila has been discussing doing a certification program in Atlanta within the next year. If you know of a facility that would be a good place to host the certification, please let us know!

If we don't see you in Atlanta first, DCAC will be from July 13-16 in 2000. The certification will most likely be held on the 13th.

Thanks for the info, Laura!

I'm excited! My coordinator may be open to starting an exercise class, so I'd be very interested in attending! If I can think of any specific location, I'll let you know. Thanks!

Kristin

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.