Eating clean without stomach upset?

BethL

Cathe, I'm trying to eat clean - lots of fiber, fruits, veggies, I love black beans, etc.... but my stomach is none too happy with most of it. There's no delicate way to ask if gas and bloating is common with this type of diet, but there it is. Is this temporary? Would drinking even more water help? Do some people just not adjust to this diet? Any light you can shed on this would be welcomed. THANK YOU!

Beth

Try a digestive enzyme supplement...

Not Cathe, but here's what works for me... I had the same problem until I read something Tosca Reno (a clean eating guru--if you don't already know who she is) suggested. I take a digestive enzyme complex before each meal. The one I take I get from Sprouts (which is a health food grocery store around here). Basically, you want to look for one with Amylase, Lipase AN, Protease 4.5, and Bromelain. Those should help with the high amount of protein and fiber you eat on a clean-eating program. I can definitely tell a difference when I forget to take my enzymes before a meal--especially a meal with a high amount of protein and fiber. I feel really bloated. Drinking lots of water helps, but if you've got a sensitive stomach, like I do, it won't eliminate the problem completely. It may just be worth a try for you.

Stomach problems

Maybe another thing to try is probiotics. If you've not been eating "live" foods much, you may not have many friendly bacteria in your intestines to help digest and absorb the nutrients. Very fresh yogurt, real sauerkraut, kim chee, anything fermented. Of course, there are also pills in the refrigerator section of health food stores which contain live friendly bacteria. You can read about this on the internet. It's good for you!

Beth,

This actually is very normal as your body is not used to the increased fiber. I suggest you take a digestive probiotic (papaya tablets are wonderful and can be purchased in your health food store) with each meal. This will help tremendoulsy. However, you should see the bloating and upset stomach starting to subside in a week or two.

Hope this helps and congrats in eating clean! Your body will thank you for it!
Lorrayne

Me too!

My problem basically lasted for months because I have not sought out any information, thank God for this website! I did take Beano a couple of times I still have probbaby not gotten back to eating as much grains as I should. So thanks Beth for asking and everybody who's responded:D

Claudia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.