Eating clean and STARVING!!

I have been trying to eat really clean for the past few days, and I am starving. My goal is to get a little leaner and make more healthy food choices, but I really do not need to lose weight. I want to make sure that I'm eating enough to keep my metabolism up since I love doing my hard Cathe workouts. I really need some suggestions of things to eat throughout the day that will keep me full but still fit into the "clean" category. Fruit just ain't gettin' it. What are some of your favorite clean, filling snacks? Thanks!

My all time favorite afternoon snack is a container of nonfat, plain greek yogurt with an apple! Yum! I'll eat that around 2:30 and it keeps me satisfied until dinner around 6 even on days that I do an STS workout at 4:30 that afternoon.

Are you eating any protein w/your fruit? I know if I eat just fruit, I'll be DYING in like 30 min! :eek: Maybe try getting more fiber in to help w/fullness, as well. Like using a hemp protein powder in your smoothies (if you drink smoothies). Hemp protein has tons of fiber (but less protein than a whey based powder).

I must agree with making sure that you're getting enough protein. I love nonfat greek Yogurt, eggs, unsalted nuts, salads with chicken, veggies or fruits with some string cheese... if i'm really feeling like I need some extra calories i'll have some natural peanut butter.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I shouldn't have put that bit in about fruit. I am definitely eating more than just fruit. :) Adding more protein does help...I just run out of ideas and get tired of the same old stuff. It is hard now that I'm really trying to watch what I eat because there is no more of the mindless grapping something and snacking...have to think it through and plan ahead for those hungry times...I guess that's what it's all about, after all. :)

Here are some of my favorites for snacks:

apple w/ nut butter
plain greek yogurt w/ 1/2 mango, kiwi, raisins, etc.
2 brown rice cakes spread w/ natural nut butter & 1/2 banana
2 whole grain crackers (like Ryvita spread w/ hummus)
hummus w/ veggies (carrots, bell peppers, celery)
cashews, almonds, any nuts w/ a veggie or fruit
smoothies w/ pp, plain greek yogurt, fruit
hard boiled eggs w/ a fruit or veggie
whole grain wrap stuffed w/ raw shredded veggies & half a can of tuna
cottage cheese w/ chopped apple or grapes & slivered almonds
banana & natural nut butter
hard cheese w/ whole grain toast & fruit
whole grain wrap w/ banana & natural nut butter

Also, make sure you are getting in enough water everyday.

HTH :)

Tracy

Also, you'll never satisfy hunger hormones without adequate fats. Incorporate things like nut butters, avocado, flax seed meal, flax oil, and try adding 1 tsp of organic heavy whipping cream to protein shakes to thicken them up like ice cream milk shakes and add a little leptin-inducing fats (Leptin is the hormone that tells your body you are satisfied and full)! Hope that helps!

Hi

I've loved reading these posts. I too am trying to lose weight and eat clean. I am also starving. I'm sticking with Cathes nutrition program for a month to see how I get on, but I'm still hungry.

I have printed off your suggestions and they look good.

Thanks

Laura

Laura, r u sure u r getting enough calories in general? If you are expending a lot of calories thru exercise you might not b eating enough calories to keep your body satisfied. Have you factored in all that you are expending? Also if you eat alot of fruit and grains, those foods can cause major hunger cravings shortly after you eat them as they digest quickly if not eaten with adequate protein. See if adding in more healthy fats and protein helps and easing up on the carbs from grains and fruits (veggies r more filling) if you haven't already:)

Here is my go-to dish that always fills me up when I am starving.

First..I buy the leanest ground turkey that I can afford. I mix it with plenty of unprocessed bran add some worcestershire sauce and cook it up like burgers. I always have this on hand.

I fill a bowl up with frozen broccoli..micro that for a few minutes..then add frozen corn, micro that a few minutes more and then I break up one of my turkey/bran burgers and finish heating through. I top it with BBQ sauce. You can add in onions or oven roasted carrots.

I do not know why but every time I eat this I am satisfied. Peggy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.