Eat This Not That...Whats the Real Story.....

I do have a weakness for that. In the dark chocolate, yummo. So, I'm not 100% little miss virtue, not yet anyway.

Hey RapidBreath - You need an ice cream maker!! It's a great way to use that organic milk, cream, eggs, etc. I have one by Cuisinart that makes about 2 quarts at a time. I love it in the summer! It's so easy.

I'm like you. I cook almost all of our food from scratch, with a few quality exceptions like good artisan breads, cheeses, chocolate...beer/wine. :p

I like having that quality control over my food.

RE: The Little Bonus Ingredients the FDA allows in your food"

Someone posted this on My Fitness Pal Forum yesterday:

Quote"I was gonna be good last night and eat some spinach. It was canned but i always drain and rinse. Well I opened it and there was a big grass hopper!!
sick.gif

That just makes you wanna have a canned veggie!
grumble.gif
"Quote

Beyond gross!

Quote"I was gonna be good last night and eat some spinach. It was canned but i always drain and rinse. Well I opened it and there was a big grass hopper!!
sick.gif

grumble.gif
"Quote

Beyond gross!

Oh, that's a lawsuit right there!

sick.gif

grumble.gif
"Quote

Beyond gross!

OMG, I would have freaked out! I'm freaking out thinking of it now!

Same here, though I'm also rather intrigued by Yacon syrup, which is another plant-based sweetener that is claimed to have many positive effects. I've never tried it (though I've tried the dried fruit), but www.sunfood.com has it on sale for 1/2 price.

I have some yacon. It's quite strong. And mine is like a very, VERY thick caramel. I hardly ever use it. But I've had some things made with it and it's not terrible. Good thing - it doesn't trigger a binge :cool:

I agree the guidelines are gross (amount of bug material) but in terms of volume it is typically considered miniscule. Have you ever been through a food processing plant of any kind? The sheer volume of food that goes through them is unbelievable.

Not that I like finding anything in my food, mind you. Grasshoppers aren't really lawsuit worthy, though. I've had them in show up in canned green beans before. There is just no getting all of the bugs out when the crops are harvested with huge combines and farm equipment in order to get the huge volume of crops out of the field in a timely manner before it goes bad. My cousins grow soybeans, corn and sunflowers along with melons (watermelon and cantaloupe) and I know they struggle with weather, pests and general seasonal issues and work long, hard hours to get the crops harvested in a timely fashion. Thank goodness for harvest moons to see by in the fall! ;)

Last edited:
Yuck!!! Even more reason to not buy canned / processed food and instead buy fresh from local farmers at the farmer's market.

Ugghhh! The thought just makes me cringe :eek::mad:

Dawn,

I'm reading the book now.
I need to thank you again. This is a very entertaining, easy read with some eye opening info. I'm giving this book to my brother. I know this book will help him.:)

Ok, so I'm officially grossed out. I'm NEVER, I mean NEVER buying packaged popcorn again!!! FDA allows one rodent pellet(I'm assuming poop:confused:) per sample and 1 rodent hair per 100 grams:eek::eek::eek:

Seriously, this book is a fun read. Thanks for suggesting it!

Thanks for posting this! I just picked up the book for kids (it was at their school book fair last week) and my three (11, 11, and 10) have been enjoying the book immensely. All the pictures makes it a great book for kids to learn from without getting too 'preachy' or technical.

My daughter was bummed that all her choices of candy bars were on the "not that" side. She loves Hershey bars and Reese's PB cups.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.