Dyson or Oreck...pros and cons?

gettingfitmom

Cathlete
I am looking to replace my canister vacuum. Would like an upright but can't decide. Anyone have either? I have about 90% hardwood/tile, 10% area rugs/carpet. Do have 2 dogs and cats in the house. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a canister Dyson Animal. I used an upright many years ago and didn't like it only because I couldn't get under stuff and wasn't a fan of dragging around the attachments. I have a lot of hardwood and two shedding dogs and my Dyson performs like a champ. I just wish I used it more often ;). I also have an Oreck floor steamer that I use periodically to get cleaner and shinier hardwood. Wish I used that more often too ;) They both offer quality products.

Dyson

We have the Dyson DC25 All Floors (with the ball mechanism). Bought it a few years ago as a Today's Special on HSN.

These machines are expensive, but hands down our Dyson is one of the best purchases we have made. It's right up there with the VitaMix in terms of my love for it and how often I use it.

Right after we got the Dyson we did a side-by-side comparison with our old (non-Dyson) vacuum. We vacuumed with the old machine (I think it was a Hoover), and then immediately with the Dyson. I was amazed at how much gunk the Dyson cleared off my supposedly "clean" floor. I was a believer from that point on. Plus the machine is lighter weight in comparison and, because of the ball mechanism, glides along the floor and swivels in pretty much any direction with a flick of my wrist.

We have about 40% hardwood, 60% carpet in our house. No pets, but a very very messy toddler. ;) Since you do have pets, you might consider the DC40, DC41, or DC50 (from the "Animals" line).

I've never tried out the Oreck so maybe there are Oreck lovers out there. I've just never felt the need to consider any other option since buying the Dyson because I love it so much.

Good luck, and sending wishes for clean and pet hair-free floors. :)

Last edited:
I am wonder for those with Dyson, how does it perform on throw rugs. I have numerous ones in my house, for my dogs, and find that a lot of vaccums suck up the rug and I cannot completely vaccum them. My dirt devil doesn't do this, but it's sooo heavy that I hate to use it. I recently got a Hoover and it is sooo much lighter but it sucks up my rugs. I even put it on the hightest setting and it still does it. I would love to know if the Dyson does this, because I am willing to pay to get it clean without hassel.

I use an upright Oreck at work and a canister Dyson at home. They both work well, but the Dyson has alot of attachment options. Dyson's customer service is fantastic. We had a small wheel on the bottom of the beater bar get stuck and called to see if they could help us fix it. They said toss it and sent us a whole new beater bar without question. UPS had it at the door in two days. The Dyson dealer told us not to bother with the Best Buy service plan because Dyson will cover any issues for free. He wasn't kidding. My favorite part is that there are no vacuum bags!!

I am wonder for those with Dyson, how does it perform on throw rugs. I have numerous ones in my house, for my dogs, and find that a lot of vaccums suck up the rug and I cannot completely vaccum them. My dirt devil doesn't do this, but it's sooo heavy that I hate to use it. I recently got a Hoover and it is sooo much lighter but it sucks up my rugs. I even put it on the hightest setting and it still does it. I would love to know if the Dyson does this, because I am willing to pay to get it clean without hassel.

My Dyson does suck up the throw rugs. But I still love it.

I've had both and prefer the Dyson!!! The Oreck was horrible! I put a tiny piece of thread on the carpet to show my hubby how the Oreck just rolled over it......again and again. Did not pick up a thing! Forget about a bowling ball! I have 2 dogs also.......Dyson all the way! Its worth the price especially with pets.....and family!

I bought a Dyson over a year ago and loved it for a month but then it had to be repaired.

I ended up returning the Dyson and buying a Ricar and haven't had any trouble with it. It cleans as well as the Dyson did yet is more durable.
We have 3 shedding dogs.

My mom has an Oreck and has unbelieveable power. She has 4 cats and is very happy with her Oreck.

I probably didn't help much but I wanted to share my experience. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.