DVD that Keeps Heart Rate Steadily Elevated...No Blast...Is There One?

danah

Hi All -

Does Cathe have a Step or Aerobic DVD that keeps your heart rate at a steadily elevated zone rather than going up and down like with the Step DVDs that have a Blast? For example, the Basic Step is steady and elevated if I have my step high enough. Are there other Step DVDs similar to Basic Step or any of her other Aerobic DVDs that would fit the criteria "steady & elevated heart rate"?

Thanks!

D

RE: DVD that Keeps Heart Rate Steadily Elevated...No Bl...

the first thing that came to mind was Rhythmic Step. I don't think there are any blasts?

PowerMax and StepHeat have no blasts either. The third segment of StepWorks is a lot harder than the first two, but I'm not sure if it's really a "blast".

Some of the circuit workouts also keep your heart rate pretty level, for example Cardio and Weights, your heartrate might be slightly up and down (higher during the step portion and leg work and lighter during the upper body work) but neither contain "blasts" that will really spike your heartrate.

I agree with Step heat, Powermax and Step Works. Yes the third section is harder but it's not like the blasts in Step blast, so I'd call it steady state cardio for this lady's purposes. Also consider Step Fit and definitely RS. Also CTX All Step, just has one blast right at the end, and it's just so you can "go out with a bang".

Do you not like the effect of blasts upon the body? They are great for building endurance.

Clare

You could combine the step portion of SJP with the first 3 step combo's from SB to make a longer steady state cardio workout. You could also do the premixes(step only) from Imax 3 and Low Max. Another idea is to string together 3 step combo's from any of the three workouts(already mentioned) from the Cardio Hits DVD.
Angela:7 Edited for typo.

WOW EVERBODY!!! Thanks for the quick and tons of response!!

Clare - You asked:

"Do you not like the effect of blasts upon the body? They are great for building endurance?"

I am really new to working out, so maybe I am approaching this the wrong way, but what I need to do is burn fat. (I am approaching 40 and have a few pesky lbs that won't go away with me simply watching what I eat any more.) I read on one of the Cathe Forums:

"We burn more fat & less glycogen at a lower intensity level. That's what some refer to as the "training zone", generally 65 to 80% of max."

So with this info, I was trying to find work outs where I would stay in my "training zone." If I need to be turned in a better direction, I'm eager to learn!

Thanks so much to all of you!!

D

Hi D!

Wanted to put my 2 cents in about lower intensity. There are so many schools of thought on this that I'm thinking maybe you could read a bit, as well as workout, so that you can decide for yourself what burns fat best.

My understanding is that it is the higher intensity workouts that do the most good for the body in terms of fat, cardiovascular health and stimulation of the growth hormone. In the book READY, SET, GO! by Phil Campbell, he goes over why higher intensity is so good for the body, in terms of all the above, but also in terms of working all the muscle fibers -- lower intensity will only work your slow twitch muscle fibers -- only the higher intensity with work the fast twitch fibers -- those muscle fibers that will help you to cope with emergencies, etc.

Anyway, I would highly recommend that book as it will ground you in basics -- and read, read, read and then form your own opinion based on your own information. And always, if you are only starting excerise, take a very gradient approach -- probably low intensity is the best place to start, but one should gradually work upwards from there.

:7

Hi Karen,

Thanks Extra Much for the book tip, I will see if I can get my hands on it and check it out.

I think you are right that I need to read a bit. After my last post, I found an article about burning fat on the Dummies.com site, that said:

Myth: Exercise done at a low intensity, such as walking, is better at fat burning than other high-intensity activities, like running or cardio activities where you push yourself very hard.

The Truth: In a strict scientific sense, these claims are true because working at a lower intensity requires less quick energy and a higher percentage of fat is burned. But you'll also burn fewer calories than you would if, for the same amount of time, you work out at a harder intensity (running versus walking). If you're trying to lose weight, even though a higher percentage of fat is being used, a lower total amount of fat is lost.

So now I am thinking I just need to concentrate on buring calories...the most I can for my time.

But anyway, I will get the book and keep learning...from what you said it sounds like, if done right, I can get a lot more out of this working out business, that just burning fat! :)

Thanks again!

D

Despite the fact that it's titled "Step Blast", this workout should fit the bill for you. The "blast" doesn't come until the end, in the form of "The Challenge".

Step Blast is so much fun! It is my latest addcition. Maxium Intensity Cardio may fit your need also.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.