dumbbell requirements

skatie0569

Cathlete
Hello,
I have 3 DVD's.. the Power Hour+ dvd, Pure Strength and Pyramids.
At the moment it isn't possible to have a barbell so I am going to use dumbells as many ladies have confirmed that you can successfully substitute dumbells in the exercises.
So.. I am putting together a collection of weights but I don't really know how many I actually need as I am so very new to this and really don't know the workouts well enough.
At the moment I have a 2.5 kilo weight set (5.5lb per weight) and a 4.5 kilo set (9.9lbs each) and a 5 kilo pair (11 lbs each dumbell).
These are all random weights.. just a few I had plus one I got from a discount store.
I am new to weights but very strong in my own right so I doubt I will need really low weights.. but then, I don't know proper form yet so I may need less? less is more??
How many do you think I will need in total and how low should I go.. as far as the poundage is concerned?
Thank you for your help and knowledge..
Kelly

The lowest I go is 3 lbs for rotator cuff exercises. I dont think that any of the w/o's that you have do that particular exercise but if you get S&H or Push/Pull, you'll likely need to start at that weight. My dumbell weights are 3,5,8,10,15,20 and 40lb. I use the 40lb db for plie squats. You could hold 2 20s if you dont want to buy the 40. I also use an adjustable set of ankle weights. If you have those, you could probably substitute them for the 3lb weight. Hope that helps.

Dawn

Adding to Dawn's list, 12 lbs are a must have. I use them quite a bit more than my 15's. You will also find Cathe using them quite a bit. I use the 3's less frequently than any of the others.

As far as holding 2-20 lb weights for plie squats, I find it's easier to put one on each shoulder. My hands are small, and holding such a heavy weight causes me problems. I find putting them on my shoulders lets me focus more on my legs and less on holding the weights.

Hi Kelly! I don't know how much you want to spend but I would suggest the following....3's, 5's, 8's, 10's, 12's 15's and 20's. If you are fairly strong then even a 25 pounder is good for one arm rows and then you can use the partner to it for bench press (again that's if you are used to using heavier weights). You will probably use your 3's and 25's the least. I find that I use 3 pounds mostly on a few shoulder exercises. Mainly my rotator cuff exercises and some rear delt and front raises too. It all depends on where and how it is sequenced in the workout. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you everyone.. and thank you Cathe!
What a treat to hear from you. :)
Seeing as though I have what is basically the equivalent of
5's, 10's and 12's (close enough) I will now pursue the 8's, 15's and 20's.
Thank you for your help.
Have a lovely day,
Kelly
;-)

Whew! I'm so glad that someone else asked the very question that I was going to ask! I have a full set of dumbbells, but not a barbell. I love your videos and now that I've found this website I'll be an even more avid fan!

I have a suggestion.
I found, in looking for dumbells that there is a teriffic way to save money and weight, and buy all the weights you need. For my wife, who's small (less than 100 lbs) and for me, getting started again from scratch, I bought a product made by the PowerBlock company, called SportBlock. It is basically a nested dumbell handle that has other additional weights that can be added to it by moving a pin (like the pin you move in a weight stack in a gym).
The SportBlock thus comes as 2 dumbells that each weigh 21 lbs, but are able to be varied, by removing (or adding, if you start with less than the full weight). The range goes from 3 lbs to 6 lbs to 9 lbs to 12 lbs to 15 lbs to 18 lbs, finally to the full 21 lbs.
This sounds like exactly what you are looking for, and what Cathe recommended as the range to buy.
I found these selling on the internet for $169, several places, but kept looking and finally found them for $119. So for that money you get the functional equivalent of 14 dumbells, or 7 sets of dumbells, which would cost more, take up more room and weigh a lot more the next time you go to move!
If this is not macho enough, PowerBlock makes other sets that go by 5lb increments up to 40 lbs, or 85 lbs, or 125 lbs each ! ! !
(BTW, if you're trying to lose weight, see my other comments in the "need to lose 20-30 lbs topic and read the book: Eat To Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.)
Also, just for information sake, the 911 in my name has nothing to do with the date of the World Trade Center, but the fact that I was originally going to go into Emergency Medicine (wherein you dial 911 for help).;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.