Dropset weight routine!

DeanaMax

Cathlete
You've done everything else supersets, pyramids, slow and heavy, now periodization.....

what about a drop set routine?

Yup. This is the ideal approach for me and the one I would buy in a flash. I usually make it up on my own..... I'd love to see a fitness professional tackle this.

Clare

I like this idea. I hope Cathe considers it.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

I too saw that Amy Bento is coming out with one. I am still on the fence with her even though I have 2 of her dvd's. I like the APX, but can go either way on the Slo-Mo. I like dropset routines so I will probably get it, but I would really l ike to see Cathe do one.

Murph

I've never done a drop set routine but Cathe has created a good variety of weight lifting techniques on video and this sounds like it would be a nice addition.

You've done everything else supersets, pyramids, slow and heavy, now periodization.....

what about a drop set routine?

In STS we do use drop sets and this is actually the focus of one of the weeks in Meso #2. Drop sets are one of the best methods for hypertrophy training, but you don't want to over use this concept. This is a classic case of more is not always better.

With drop sets we are decreasing the rest period between sets to usually about 10 seconds. This is far less than what your body needs to replenish it's energy cycle for even a muscle endurance workout. The reason we have you drop your weights by 20% - 30% for set #2 and set#3 of every drop set in STS is that studies have shown that in order to do 9 to 10 reps with only 10 seconds rest between each set a person must decrease their weight by 20% - 30% for each set.

Drop sets are a great concept if used correctly and sparingly, but when over done it will only force your body to burn inferior and secondary fuels and your results and body will suffer. Without getting too technical, when you lift weights you need a certain amount of recovery time between exercises using the same muscle groups so that the energy sources that power your muscles have time to replenish and recover. The amount of rest time needed depends on the intensity of your workout. Drop sets are great, but you have to be careful not to over use them.

Thank you so much for explaining this. I wasn't totally sure what drop sets are. I am glad they will be used in STS. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.