"double jointed elbows"

audrey

Hi, Cathe!

I have hyperextensive elbows that don't lock out until about 30 degrees past straight. (Yep, looks about as freaky as it sounds.) I know that during weight training and boxing-type moves, I should not lock my elbows out. I do find, however, that I tend to straighten my arms fully. Is this ok, given that my range of motion is greater than most people's and "straight" is not "locked out" for me? Or should I try to keep them less than fully straight? (I haven't experienced any problems with what I'm doing.)

Hope everything is going well with your new little one!

Thanks,
Audrey

Same question

I had a yoga lesson the other night where the teacher (a friend of mine) noted that my elbows hyperextend (not as dramatically as 30 degrees, but where I feel like my arms are "straight" they are visibly bent back a little). She noted this tendency when I lowered from "plank," when I did "up dog," and also when I did "down dog." So I'm positive I must be doing it in push-ups too. She said it was bad and I should watch out, but I'm wondering why. I just don't feel like my arm really is "straight" otherwise, so I'm wondering why it's bad for me to exercise that part of my range of motion.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.