Don't you love strength gains???

Jess_jugs

Cathlete
I know you ladies will understand! If I told most people they would like at me like I have 2 heads... :confused:

Anyway... last night my dh & I did Back & Biceps (P90X). We were doing as many full pullups as we could and then doing negatives. I was lifting heavier weights or doing 1 more rep than I used last week on all of the exercises.

Then... as I was doing the strip set bicep curls at the end I realized... my *lightest* weight that I used were the 15# dumbbells!!! That was the *heaviest* that I could even dream to lift when I started w/ Cathe's PUB a year & a half ago!! I thought I was going to die when I did those 8 reps!! But last night I did 30#/ 8 reps, 25#/ 8 reps, 20#/ 8 reps, and then 15#/ 8 reps. And... the 15#'s felt like I was just lifting 5#'s!!

So... share your strength gains! Have you been lifting heavier and seeing changes? :cool:

Last edited:
Wow Jess! That's awesome! I just started another round of the X on Monday and I did notice when doing Shoulders and Arms that I could've gone heavier-especially on the bicep work. So next week, I'll definitely try and up the weights.

By the way, how do you and your husband do the X workouts together? My husband started with me on Monday and I'd love to workout together, but unless one of us does the band work, it'll take too long on the pull up bar.

Again, great job!

Wow Jess that is great! I love when I realize I can do more even if it's one more pushup. My DH and I were thinking about getting PX90. Our birthdays are coming up and I'm getting close to the big 4-0 and I really want to hit that decade looking and feeling better than in my twenties. I'm sorry to steal your thread but how much equipment is needed and how is the diet? DH is not the best when it comes to changing what he eats(he's a meat and potatoes guy). Sorry again to ask these questions, but I'm really curious how you like that workout and if you consider it a good purchase. Thanks so much for any info. And congrats on the strength gains, you look great!

Hey Klaudia!

I love Shoulders & Arms... that's one of my favs!! The glamour muscles as Tony says! ;)

We just take turns. Our chinup bar is upstairs so we just go up and he'll go first, then me, and then back downstairs for weights, and back up and then it's my turn first, etc. It works out well. We don't even watch the DVD's anymore, we've done the routines enough that we just use the manual to know what's next. (but if you're watching the DVD's, just pause it!) I really should post some pics of my dh, he is looking amazing!! This is the first time we've ever worked out together, and I love it!!

Oh, and your back looks amazing!!!

Wow Jess that is great! I love when I realize I can do more even if it's one more pushup. My DH and I were thinking about getting PX90. Our birthdays are coming up and I'm getting close to the big 4-0 and I really want to hit that decade looking and feeling better than in my twenties. I'm sorry to steal your thread but how much equipment is needed and how is the diet? DH is not the best when it comes to changing what he eats(he's a meat and potatoes guy). Sorry again to ask these questions, but I'm really curious how you like that workout and if you consider it a good purchase. Thanks so much for any info. And congrats on the strength gains, you look great!

Thanks!! Hi-jack away, I don't mind! As for equipment, you need a pullup bar or resistance bands and a way to use them (hook them on to something), and dumbbells. That's really the *major* things. You might want a yoga mat if you don't have one, that's more of a personal preference.

The diet is basically clean eating, lean proteins, good carb, fruits & veggies. There is a portion plan that's easy to follow.

But... my dh has NOT followed the plan at all. He does NOT count calories, does NOT count portions, he just says he doesn't care. (can you believe it?? :p) And... he's still lost a good 10# and at least 2" off his waist. His tight 34" pants are now falling off and he's on his closest notch in his belt!! People are commenting to him all of the time now that he's looking *buff*. He's gone from doing maybe 5 pullups to at least 10-12 (full, dead hang pullups) and from about 25 to 50 pushups!!

Email me or click on my site if you have ANY questions about it.

Then... as I was doing the strip set bicep curls at the end I realized... my *lightest* weight that I used were the 15# dumbbells!!! That was the *heaviest* that I could even dream to lift when I started w/ Cathe's PUB a year & a half ago!! I thought I was going to die when I did those 8 reps!! But last night I did 30#/ 8 reps, 25#/ 8 reps, 20#/ 8 reps, and then 15#/ 8 reps. And... the 15#'s felt like I was just lifting 5#'s!!
Crimeny, woman! I just did PUB yesterday and thought to myself how great that I could keep up with Cathe on biceps now. Her heaviest is 15# on that. You have just given me something to work for! Jtlane25 mentioned what she does for chest and suddenly, I asked myself if I could do more. Sure enough - found out I could up my weights on lots for upper body. It felt good. You were obviously strong before trying PUB but have made amazing gains. Maybe I need P90X! Congrats - it is a great feeling to realize you are getting stronger!

Crimeny, woman! I just did PUB yesterday and thought to myself how great that I could keep up with Cathe on biceps now. Her heaviest is 15# on that. You have just given me something to work for! Jtlane25 mentioned what she does for chest and suddenly, I asked myself if I could do more. Sure enough - found out I could up my weights on lots for upper body. It felt good. You were obviously strong before trying PUB but have made amazing gains. Maybe I need P90X! Congrats - it is a great feeling to realize you are getting stronger!

You know, I remember thinking the same thing. It is amazing how far you can push yourself if you just give it a shot!! My dh is all about lifting heavy for 8 reps and so I've been doing that also. I'll give him the credit for making me push myself, especially on pullups!! Oh, and I'm sore today- DOMS anyone?? :eek:

He looks great! Tell him to keep up the good work. I just called my husband and told him your solution to working out together. His response? "Maybe I need to get into a rhythm first, so you don't show me up." Excuses, excuses!

Oh, and I love your hair! So pretty. Makes me impatient-I want my long curly hair back:(

Thanks for the info Jess. The only thing it seems we don't have would be the pull up bar. The diet I can do and DH probably won't but he will still lose more weight than me:( I'm shopping ebay to see if they have any DVD sets and hopefully before long I can post our "after" pictures:) Thanks again and I may be bugging you all with questions once we start, sorry in advance!

Thanks for the info Jess. The only thing it seems we don't have would be the pull up bar. The diet I can do and DH probably won't but he will still lose more weight than me:( I'm shopping ebay to see if they have any DVD sets and hopefully before long I can post our "after" pictures:) Thanks again and I may be bugging you all with questions once we start, sorry in advance!

No problem, I don't mind. It's my job. :D Good luck finding one on ebay, they usually aren't much cheaper than from Team Beachbody. My dh made me a chinup bar in the garage at first. We used it until winter time, then I was done going out to the freezing garage & ordered the P90X one! :p

Oh, and I love your hair! So pretty. Makes me impatient-I want my long curly hair back:(
Excuse me while I go off topic for a minute...I just got mine cut too (it isn't curly though). The guy took one snip and I freaked out b/c it was a BIG snip -too late at that point. Can't wait for it to grow out some. I used to be able to make a cute pony tail - no more :(

He looks great! Tell him to keep up the good work. I just called my husband and told him your solution to working out together. His response? "Maybe I need to get into a rhythm first, so you don't show me up." Excuses, excuses!

Thanks, Klaudia! I will tell him. He is loving the comments from people at work lately. :D Yeah, you watch out that you don't show him up!!

And thank you! I'm in desperate need of a trim now, it's constantly in a pony tail or clip! I'm not allowed to cut it according to my dh, he loves it! He still carries my Senior picture in his wallet when my hair was really long!! :rolleyes:

Excuse me while I go off topic for a minute...I just got mine cut too (it isn't curly though). The guy took one snip and I freaked out b/c it was a BIG snip -too late at that point. Can't wait for it to grow out some. I used to be able to make a cute pony tail - no more :(

Oh no!!! I hate when you get a bad hair cut! I had a bad one last year... layers too short and I swear I looked like Little Orphan Annie!! :eek: It'll grow... sometimes it's hard to be patient though!

No problem, I don't mind. It's my job. :D Good luck finding one on ebay, they usually aren't much cheaper than from Team Beachbody.

This is true. Ebay is loaded with bootlegs too. I learned my lesson when I received a Cathe bootleg. It's always best to get it from a reliable source.
I want my favorites like Cathe, P90X to last a very long time. Bootlegs are very poor quality.

OK told you I would have questions. I just saw quite a few unopened DVDs for about $90 but they don't include the manual, nutrition guide or the calendar. How important are these to the workouts? TIA

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.