Don't do this at home!!

Oh my...well, when my brother was in elementary school he swallowed a quarter. He did it so well that no one believed him at first. We rushed him to the hospital. It wasn't blocking his airway or anything. They couldn't get it out so we had to wait for him to poop it out. My mom washed that quarter, my brother wrote about it, taped it to his paper, and brought it to school to share with the class...tee hee!
Angela:7

Once I fell down the stairs three times in one day. My butt hurt for weeks!

Kristy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

Kathryn -

I'm sorry to hear this. You give out so much fabulous advice and we all count on you so much, that the good karma rays should have prevented this. Well, we'll just send more good karma for a fast healing.

I'm in hysterics reading the rest of these though. Melody - my office mates thought I had finally gone around the bend when I read the, "Yep, done that." And the hickey stories - never knew there was so many creative ways to give oneself a hickey! I have heard of a vacuum cleaner and I think one of the guys I used to work with was rumored about having vacuum hickies in a very private spot *shudders*.

While I have done stupid things (like going through an electric fence while mounted on a stubborn shetland pony), but sister takes the cake for the stupid injury award. She is 4 years younger than I am and when we were growing up, she wanted to be like me. So, when I discovered that flipping over the sofa was a fun thing, she had to try it to. She landed smack on her butt on a tub of crayons (smashed it flat actually), and had a bruise on her butt that was a perfect ring encircling her derriere. It was quite funny...

Kathryn--I'm in pain just reading your post. Ouch!! I hope you heal quickly and without complications. Keep us posted.

When I was 15, I got hit by a car and tore up my knee pretty bad and fractured my pelvis and this was due to 2 stupid reasons. First, I was walking just ahead of a cute guy and thought it would be somehow "cool" to cross against the light.(I can not fathom my thinking. It must have been a stupid 15 year old thing) Second, I was still terribly hung over from my aunt's wedding the previous weekend. I'd gotten really drunk and so stoned that I could not move. I believe that this screwed up my depth perception , because the car looked much farther away than it was.

The knee injury plagues me to this day x(, but at least I have a good story to tell my kiddos demonstrating the fact that a moment of poor judgement and stupidity can have life long consequences. (looking for that silver lining, you know)

Ladies--some of those stories were pretty funny.

Maggie:)

OMG Kathryn, I hope you are feeling ok and heal quickly. WOW I can not imagine breaking a pencil off in my leg OUCH!!

take care and look before you sit

catherine

that reminded me of when i was in high school. sitting down at class,an exacto knife in my purse majorly cut my leg-i won't go into the gruesome details! it took many many months to totally heal.below the knee,my leg was numb for a long time.
that is probably my #1 very stupid injury!

laura

Kathryn....

OUCH!!!!! I hope you are feeling better this morning! That had to be incredibly painful!!

When I was in elementary school I got a HUGE splinter from the see-saw. I didn't tell anyone because I was too embarressed and the splinter worked it's way very deep and ended up infected. I could barely sit down by the time I worked up the nerve to tell my mom and then it had to be surgically removed!

When my dd was little the whole family went camping on vacation. The first day , dh took her fishing and she HOOKED him right in the arm.
The hook could NOT be removed and we all ended up at Urgent Care where the surgeon ended up doing minor surgery when he couldn't get it out any other way!

Right now I am recovering from pulling muscles in my back doing the leg presses in LL ! Not really embarressing.....just was stepping up and felt something and when I stepped down I could hardly put weight on that leg. I've pulled these same muscles time and time again and this time it's much worse. I am walking like an 80 year old ....heat, rest, heat , rest.
I am hoping this injury heals a lot faster than poor Cathe's!!!

Dear Kathyrn,
I am so sorry to hear about your accident. My! It must be painful. I once had a puncture wound to my finger. I was learning how to sew on a not so great sewing machine. I pressed to hard on the foot pedal and the needle went clear through my finger. Fortunately my DH was home because I freaked out. He came in and rewound the sewing machine so the needle would come back out. I couldn't look at the procedure the entire time.:) My finger was sore for a while, but DH later bought me a fancy new sewing maching that had better safety devices so I couldn't sew my finger up so easy.

Here's to your speedy recovery. (((Hugs)))

Kathryn, a puncture wound story for ya

Kathryn, yikes -- what a story! I'm so glad you're okay!!!

I had a puncture wound in my calf when I was about 19 or 20 and you're the first person I've ever heard of who had a remotely similar experience. I was in college and was playing pick-up kickball with some friends on one of the grassy areas near our dorm. There were young trees (and old ones too) in the area, and the university had put little chicken wire fences around the roots of the small trees to keep students off. To this day I don't know quite how this happened, but I suddenly found myself hitting the ground on my fanny, whammo. I was apparently blocked by another player and stumbled or fell over one of the chicken wire fences, and it up-ended and the piece that had been in the ground planted itself firmly in my left calf. Funny thing is, it wasn't even painful -- just weird. The puncture wound was about 2 or 3 inches deep and about the diameter of a No. 2 pencil -- not too different from what you experienced.

I remember my friends helping me hobble to student health services (I had wrapped somebody's sacrificed tee shirt around my leg, as I recall), and I remember having the wound cleaned out -- same drill you went thru -- and getting a tetanus shot and having it pressure-bandaged. My recollection is that I was instructed not to do anything to stretch or "stress" the wound area for about a week. I imagine the theory probably was that it would take about a week for the wound to fill itself in (not to get too graphic, but I can't think of a better way to phrase that), and that stretching the area around the wound would have jeopardized that healing.

I probably obeyed, seeing as how I tend to be a compliant person (drat), and it healed with no incident. I don't remember limping (although I think I probably had to walk sort of tippy-toed on that leg for a couple of days), and I don't remember having any pain or any complications at all. Oh, I do remember being on some general-spectrum antibiotic, too. I have a little dark scar about the size of a pencil eraser smack dab in the center of my left calf muscle now.

I would say to take it easy on the leg this week, kiddo. You could still concentrate on seated UB and abs, and maybe a little gentle unweighted legs floorwork (although even that might be pushing it, who knows.) So let it heal. You'll be back to your old self in no time, with a great war story to boot.

Feel better! :)

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sport/sport-smiley-001.gif

RE: Kathryn, a puncture wound story for ya

WOW!!! Kathryn, that must have hurt like h@$#!! It was making me cringe to read it...I hope you do heal up quickly!

And some of these other stories...YEOW!!!

Only puncture I ever got was trying to break up a dog fight (yeah dumb I know) I still have the scar on my wrist, but after the doctor irrigated it and gave me the tetanus shot it healed up very quickly.

I have also seen the fat inside...I was in a car accident a very long time ago (1981) and after I broke the winsheild with my hard head, I got out of the car and sat down on a curb. I then looked down at my left knee...yuk...had this deep gash and I could see all this fat....I'll never forget that.

Take good care of yourself Kathryn....:)...Carole

Wow, I knew I had something in common with this board. Although, I've never had to actually pull an object out of my body (a thought that freaks me out just thinking about it) I have had my share of accidents. One being at 5 years old I stuck my hand in my brothers bicycle chain. I'm told I said I was going to help him. Well, my finger got sliced in the chain and the tip of my middle finger was hanging by a piece of skin. I was rushed to the hospital and it was reattached. I cut the very same finger working in my uncle's store on a meat slicer.

Kathryn -

OUCH! I hope you recover quickly!

I feel your pain. When I was in grade school I sat on my bookbag and a pencil lodged into my calf. I pulled the pencil out but there was still a huge piece of lead in my leg that the doctor had to remove. Although the lead is out, I still have a small grey mark the size of a pin point on my leg from the pencil.

Jessica

Oh, I just thought of one imbarassing moment in my life that ended up injuring me. I was in Jr. High, a very pivitol time to not get embarassed I might say. And I was in the back of the bus on the way to school, in that small seat in the way back. The bus driver took a turn too fast and it launched me out of my seat and I landed very hard on my butt, on the floor of the school bus. I bruised my tail bone and my ego, and could not sit right for at least a week. Not fun at the ripe age of 14.

Kathy

When my DD was six, she was playing with a little tiny screwdriver, which I did not know she was playing with. Apparently, she was using it to pull some staples out from a big package boxes, I think it was TV box and ended up scratching her left eye. Of course, she got scared and did not tell us. This happened just before we were supposed to go out for dinner and we did not know until we sat down on the table at the restaurant. We were just about to order the food and I saw her left eye bleeding. That was most terrified moment. I never saw anything like that. We had to hurry to emergency room. Thankfully, it was a miner scratch and healed in couple of days. She is almost ten now but I will never forget it and still remembered like just yesterday.

>uh...wow....and how? you sat on a couch and got the pencil in
>your leg? like you calf? where was the pencil? i just can't
>picture this in my head...owie...
>maddie

In hamstring, about 2/3 of the way up, angled backwards about 30 degrees, about 2-3 inches in. The pencil must have been wedged between the cushions, and I landed right between the cushions as well.

>OMG Kathryn, I hope you are feeling ok and heal quickly. WOW
>I can not imagine breaking a pencil off in my leg OUCH!!

It DIDN"T break off! It penetrated light jean material, skin, fascia and fat, and came out looking the same as when it went in.

When I heard a "pop," I thought it was just sitting on a pencil and breaking it, but it was the pencil piercing my pants!

>I would say to take it easy on the leg this week, kiddo. You
>could still concentrate on seated UB and abs, and maybe a
>little gentle unweighted legs floorwork (although even that
>might be pushing it, who knows.)

I've decided it's pretty much upper body on the stability ball, alternated with abs on the stability ball, for a little while at least.

I went back for a check up today, but the nurse practitioner I saw didn't seem too savvy. When I asked her about taking acidophilus to help counteract the bad effects of the full-spectrum antibiotic I'm taking, she said she'd never heard of that. (?!)

And she wanted to increase the antibiotics to 5 more days (I'm only on day 2 1/2 of 5!). When I tried to get the scrip filled, I couldn't because I hadn't used the rest up at least 2/3 of the way. Then I went back to the clinic (attatched to the pharmacy) and asked to talk to the actual doctor who had seen me (not my regular doc anyway), because his recommendations conflicted with hers (she asked if I was using a topical antiseptic, and the doc told me not to, the oral stuff would take care of things).

The receptionist coulnd't get the doc (he was busy), but 'ran into' the NP, who told her that the extra 5 days is to help prevent infection. Well, that's what the first 5 days was for, and it sounded to me like the doctor didn't think more would be necessary. And she didn't apprise me of any findings that would lead me to think I need more than 5 days. I just feel very uncomfortable taking 10 days of a full-spectrum antibiotic (that's killing off all my good bacteria as well) if 5 is all that's really necessary.

This is why I hate going to doctors! (And the first nurse I saw took my BP and heartrate, but didn't even tell me what they were until I asked. Doesn't that seem like basic patient info that should be shared??)

I'm doing much better. No need for Aleve beyond one dose the first day. The toughest thing is finding a comfy sleep position that doesn't hit the sore spot on my right leg, or the sore left shoulder I have from the tetanus shot!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.