Donna made me do it!

honeybunch1

Cathlete
Miz Donna swears that I'm a success story, but I sure don't think of myself as that. I guess I think of a succes story worthy of mention in this forum is only about someone who has lost a lot of weight, but I won't argue.

I've gotten up to, probably, 160 or so tops when I didn't weigh myself - late high school years, the first year I got married the FIRST time, and up to 150 or so after I quit smoking. So we're not talking serious weight problems.

To set this up better, I'm 53, 5'5" and go about 135, which is adequate for my build, medium to large, I guess.

My story is that I wanted to exercise and get into sports when I was in high school (1964-1968), but they had NO girls sports then. I always felt cheated. The closest I ever got was a girls' baseball team a math teacher started after school.

Fast forward to 1989 when I married husband #2, who was into weight lifting. He got me a Bally's membership, and taught me weight lifting with HEAVY weights. This was my training from the beginning, so I was never afraid I'm get "bulky" (I hate that word!). I got a lot more compact without a change in my weight, and was amazed at how many people thought I'd lost weight. I worked out for about a year and a half and pretty much quit, until 1991, when I started race walking.

I did that pretty much exclusively even through a weight gain after I quit smoking. I almost gave up on losing that weight until Susan Powter came on the scene, and I started to SLOWLY lose weight. I continued to walk, and half-heartedly got back into a little weight training, mostly with bands, until 1996 when I started to get serious while watching Body Shaping.

In 1997, I got serious about working on my problem legs after noting how much definition I got in my upper body. I know I was could shape up my lower half if I just worked it right, but it was SO difficult. I finally got down almost 3 pants sizes (working my way down to a 4) just from weight training, no significant weight loss.

Then in 1999 (I think), I started using Cathe weight tapes, and in 2000, (at age 50) finally got up the guts to do her step tapes. Cathe was my FIRST introduction to aerobic tapes of any sort after I got over the fear created by Collage's "complex" choreography label. That same year I tried Taebo. I did Imax first, imagine that!

I because hooked on Cathe, and to fast forward to 2002, I became an ACE Certified Personal Trainer largely because of the knowledge and encouragement I got from these forum. I also work part time for my local Y as a person trainer, and am just now starting to get clients. It's a cool feeling to help folks who are fired up about exercise, and want guidance.

And that's the truth! Happy now, Miz Donna?!

Don't let age stop you.......Just Do It! :7 :*

Yes I am VERY happy now! :)

So many times when I thought I'd NEVER conquer Imax, I'd remind myself that you did, and you did it at 50! Talk about feeling ashamed at even thinking about giving up! I used you to help me conquer Imax, the CTX cardio and I'm still psyching myself up to conquer MIC by reminding myself, "HB is 53 and NAILS this workout! Get your butt in gear and just do it Donna!" The mind is willing, the body ain't! But you motivate me and make me less afraid of "maturing!" You give me hope for my own "50's" and rather than think, did I wait too long to make any significant difference in my body? You show me that it's not too late, I and any of us can make a change anytime we desire, we just have to do it!
And becoming a P.T. is yet another accomplishment. Sometimes I fall into the "can't teach an old dog new tricks" thinking, and now I can't let that stop me, not as long as there's you and others like you here that are doing marvelous things with their lives and age is just some number, it certainly doesn't restrict you from doing whatever you set your mind AND body to do!

You're one of my mentors, and I hope you know how much I've appreciated your guidance throughout my journey! :)

Donna

p.s. And I'm still doing Imax on a 6" step! And maybe NEXT year we can revisit my progress on MIC! :)

Honeybunch,
You are one of my mentors too. You and I are only about 4 months difference in age. When I got aggravated about my shape and wanted to make drastic changes, my DH said that I'm not young anymore. He said that my age will prevent me from shaping up because all these exercisers are young people and I will never look like that. He said I shouldn't do the high impact Cathe tapes; Imax, MIC etc because I might have a heart attack. (Granted when I first did those tapes he saw my face was tomato red.)

When I would tell him of your experiences that I gleaned from your posts; getting your ACE cerification is no small feat, he had to change his tune. Now he takes me seriously about my workouts and does all he can to help me achieve my goals. Just yesterday he said, "I wish I was in shape like you are."

Thanks for sharing your experiences. You never know how many people you can benefit and make healthful changes in their lives. You did mine.:D Now Imax, piece of cake..right? LOL

Wanda

Wanda.............

I am blown away! I had NO idea you were "50-ish!"

Your rotations and double up workout days make me pant just reading them and I always assumed you were 20 or 30 something and full of energy! :)

Well, now I really have to get on the ball with Imax 2! If I'm ever going to catch up to you guys I'll have to practice MUCH harder! :)

Way to go Wanda, you are one impressive lady!

Donna

RE: Wanda.............

I always read your post, and am very inspired by your going into being a personal trainer. It's given me the freedom to dream as I work hard and to believe that I could do it too one day.

Edith

Hey HB!

You ARE a success story! Not to mention how much of it you have accomplished from 50 on!!! You've had many hardships and trials along the way but you have proven your motto: JUST DO IT!!! Keep up the great work. Woo-Hoooo!!(BTW everyone, I am proud to say HB & I have met in person, plus we only live 15 minutes apart. We met right here on Cathe's site, not realizing lived sooo close. How cool is that?)
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Hey HB!

You are a success story, too, given your family history of obesity! You're a lone voice crying out in the wilderness, except for your hubby, who has jumped on your bandwagon.

You might want to post your own story!

Honeybunch,

You are truly a success story! You are an inspiration - I read most of your posts and they have helped me immensely. To see where you were and where you are now. That just goes to show you that even as we get older we really can get better!

I feel really inspired when I know alot of us women on this forum are in the OLDER stage, but we can all do Cathe's tapes - that ways something in itself. I am 47 years old and it just helps to know that I am not the only fitness addict at this age!

Keep posting and keep up the great workouts!

Cheryl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.