DOMS during STS roation

mgm1

Cathlete
OK, so I started second round of STS, this time 6 month rotation. I did disk 1 yesterday and to my surprise I have no DOMS today:( I have incresed my RM on many excersizes and was really working to failure yesterday. I even completed all the pushups (60% on my knees-but that's an improvement as during the last rotation I could not complete all the pushups even on my knees). So here I am today disapointed that there are no DOMS. I remember very well when I did disk 1 last time I was sore for 5 days (mostly in my lats). I was not however very sore during the rest of the rotation and in meso 3 I had absolutely no DOMS (which I read many others did not have either)
I wonder if I should increase the weight even more next week when I repeat the workout (though I was going to failure already on the last reps)

I know its silly to judge the workout by the DOMS but I am reading on line about 2 opposing views on DOMS, some say DOMS are crtitcal for muscle building, some say they are not important. I always feel a sense of accomplishment when I have DOMS. What do you think?

p.s Now that I read what I wrote, I did experience some muscle definition and strenght gain during my first roation, so perhaps I should not be concerned with the DOMS.

Last edited:
Hi Magda

I started yesterday too. I was a little sore after the workout, and last night, but no doms this morning with the exception of right at the armpit/pec juncture...must be the push ups, which I did all of. I remember last time around the doms being a sneaky thing, I remember they didn't show up until 24-48 hours later....so you may be in for some soreness yet! LOL:D

Personally, I think going to failure is a better indicator of what sort of workout you got than doms, and because you went to failure I think it's too early to increase the weights. Why not wait a week and see how you feel.

P.s.Work towards those push ups! And believe you me, you'll have doms!:D

Boy, it sure sounds like you've gotten stronger! :)

I wouldn't worry about DOMS. I too have heard that if you aren't sore, you didn't work hard enough. I disagree. I rarely feel DOMS in my biceps, yet I use a challenging weight, go to complete failure, and I've seen steady progress.

If we go by the DOMS-or-nothing rule, then technically I've been wasting my time and shouldn't be seeing strength gains. Instead I've been upping my poundage consistently, and I can actually see my bicep pop now, even when I'm not flexing.

I think there's more to DOMS than we know currently. It's possible many factors affect this, including diet, sleep, hydration, how we are built, and perhaps how we move throughout the day. Something funky must be going on, because while my biceps are almost never hurtin', my butt is horribly sore for days after a leg workout. Go figure.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.