Doing Cathe with your daughter

Renee McFar

Cathlete
I know some of you use Cathe workouts with your children. Which workouts do you use? Would the new Basic Step and Body Fusion be a good one? My daughter is 12 and 1/2 yrs old. She plays basketball but she needs to be more active. She is 5'5" and weighs 160lbs. I don't want to get on her about her weight. She is a very solidly built girl. I am 5'7" and 120lbs. Her and I are not ment to be built alike I suppose. The women on her dad's side are not heavy just "hippy." I think she could tolerate doing Cathe with me. She turns her nose up at everyone else( Christi, tec..). So please help me pick something that she might like!

Hi,

My almost 12 year old son is having a blast with Urban Rebounding. He's scared of Cathe and I don't think it would be good to discourage him by having him try it. But now he gets up every morning a half hour earlier to get his Urban Rebounding workout in before school. They have a great website with clips of some of the tapes in case your daughter wants to preview it. And there's a great deal available now at their site.

I use the Rebounder too for extra, mindless cardio.

DD

I think Basic Step/Body Fusion would be great, if she doesn't want to spend much time working out, maybe she could do the "add-ons"..there's a 20 min upperbody section, 20 min lowerbody, and 10 min ab section. All you need are some 3 lb weights and a light resistance band.

I think I'm an intermediate exerciser..I did the 20 min arm section yesterday and it wasn't too difficult, but I felt that I got a good workout, especially in the amount of time.

She could probably do any of Cathe's pure weight workouts, just get her a lighter set of weights. I would get a set that goes from 2 lbs-8 lbs..they sell some at a local sports store here that go up in 1 lb increments. Help her set up a notebook and tell her to make notes whether a weight is too challenging/too easy.

As far as barbells go, maybe get her a 9 lb "Body Bar"..I used to use mine all the time when I was about her age (I'm only 18 now!)

I don't know what other cardio workouts you could have her do besides Basic Step, maybe High Step Circuit (I don't have that one yet so I can't speak on it personally). I know that right now I'm at a level where I can do Basic Step..but another Cathe workout like Step Heat is still a bit too much. I bought some of Cathe's out of print videos hoping to fill the gap a little bit, but I haven't had the opportunity to do them yet.

That's pretty much what I would be using now (if I were at home, I'm dorming)

Sorry to ramble on so much, but I hope that helps you. Best of luck to your daughter!

My nearly 14 year old daughter does Basic Step, Step Jam (she loves that one!!), Body Fusion, High Step Circuit, Legs & Glutes, Push Pull, and Supersets quite well. She LOVES Cathe! She prefers her to my TLP workouts, because she loves Cathe's bubbly personality and she loves Cedie's smile!! She was delighted to find Cedie on the older step workouts!

Carol
:)

My daughter and I enjoy Cardio Kicks. We did that one together often. Now she is away at college.

Joanne

My daughter does Boot Camp, ME, MIS (split into lower and upper body on two days) PowerHour and KPC. She refuses to learn step. She is now 19, but has been doing some Cathes since she was 17. I am still trying to get her to try IMax, but she just can't follow the stepping portions.

Boot Camp I think would be good for your daughter, since it has so many little "breaks" and everything is easy to follow and yet, hard enough to do that it is worthwhile.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.